No More Timing Chain Rattle in S550-2015-2019 Mustang GT / F150 - MMR's New Tensioners >>>

Discussion in 'V8 5.0L Engine / Mods: Bolt-ons, Exhaust, Tuning' started by Mod Mustang Racing, Jan 17, 2020.

1. Mod Mustang Racing

Mod Mustang Racing Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
    0   0   0
    MMR is proud to release its new performance primary timing chain tensioners in growing response to the dreaded rattle.

Understanding the rattle begins with understanding what causes it. Our engineers went to work quickly determining the issue. The noise is caused by the primary tensioners collapsing, this is caused by lower oil pressure at idle, which worsens as oil life decreases, eventually making noise through most driving rpms. Not only is the noise terrible, it is also very hard on timing chain components.

So the question is how do we keep oil in the tensioner to prevent it from collapsing and if oil pressure does lower or degrade how can we stop it. Immediately we added a O ring to the back of the tensioner to seal it to the cylinder head, this prevents the hemorrhaging that we see when sending oil pressure to the cylinder head (it leaks out between the tensioner and cylinder head - considered acceptable loss by Ford), next we increased the feed size hole within the tensioner, this allows more volume and helps prevent the tensioner from collapsing, we also added a travel limiter internally so that even in the event of low oil pressure at hot idle or when viscosity deteriorates as oil ages that the tensioner cannot fully collapse. Finally, for the internal piston and valve inside of the tensioner we use Fords Most recent revision which are also designed to address the Multiple TSB's for this problem (eg, TSB 11-9-15 or TSB 19-2140)

The result, silky smooth and quiet coyote engines, these parts are so strong and proven that they are standard equipment on the MMR GenX Billet Coyote engines and used By team MMR and the Worlds Fastest Ford Coyote!

For more info or to order click here: http://www.modularmotorsportsracing...e=product_info&cPath=4_30_57&products_id=1015

450568R_.jpg

450568R_001.jpg

vegas-3.jpg

2. Avispa

Avispa Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
    0   0   0
    OK, dumb question since I'm new to the Coyote/S550 gang. What does timing chain noise sound like, and is it possible that's what I hear for the first 10 to 20 seconds after start up. Car has just under 40000 miles and appears to have been well maintained. Noise on start up sounds like sheet metal rattling. It only happens on cold start. Warm restart, no noise.

3. NeedForGreen

NeedForGreen Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    Any install videos yet?

4. 13razorbackfan

13razorbackfan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
    Tagging along...

5. OP
    OP
    Mod Mustang Racing

Mod Mustang Racing Well-Known Member
    Diamond Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    Worlds Fastest & Only 5 second Coyote
    0   0   0
    Correct, cold starts are usually the worst, this is because oil has leaked from the tensioner allowing it to collapse until the engine purges the air within the tensioner and build up oil pressure. The O ring and revised internal valve on the mmr design prevent the oil from leaking out and the internal limiter prevent a wide range of fluctuation (which in conjunction with loss of oil within the tensioner creates the actual rattle).

Avispa likes this.
  6. Avispa

Avispa Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Richard
    Vehicle(s):
    2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
    0   0   0
    Thanks! Good to know there's a solution. Had lots of MMR stuff on my Terminator, no doubt some of your stuff will end up on my S550.

7. Hivel

Hivel Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT
    0   0   0
    Who’s gonna be the guinea pig?

Need to identify what noise this is supposed to fix.
    Is it the idle typewriter tick?
    Is it the 2k rattle?
    Is it both?

Also, the Gen3 Coyotes have a revised tensioner. Is this MMR tensioner better than the Gen3 tensioner?

Thanks,

8. fahadco80

fahadco80 Member

First Name:
    Fahad
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Premium 401A Package with B&O Sound System
    0   0   0

2k rattle

Post #33 on https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...n-tensioner-bracket.43566/page-3#post-2776124

I am sure MMR designed this part based on tests. If this part won't void my warranty will put it in as soon as I can.

MMR, is there a way to install this without loosing my warranty?

9. 13razorbackfan

13razorbackfan Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang GT Premium
    0   0   0
  10. fahadco80

fahadco80 Member

First Name:
    Fahad
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 Mustang GT 10R80 Premium 401A Package with B&O Sound System
    0   0   0
    Will go to my dealer in the next few days, will ask them for sure, but the main question, did MMR try it on 18-19 5.0's, did they test the part? any video?

Guys with big power engines, please join.. I am sure all big power people who modified their engine internals knows what is the cause of the rattle... and probably they have a fix. Please join us guys..

13razorbackfan likes this.
  11. NIXPP2

NIXPP2 Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Nick
    Vehicle(s):
    18' PP2 Shadow Black
    Garage Profiles:
    Supply Chain Manager
    0   0   0
    Man I'll be happy if this is it!

12. GT Pony

GT Pony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
    0   0   0
    Obviously Ford will not cover any engine warranty if an aftermarket part is shown to have caused an engine failure of some kind. The way Ford is sometimes with warranty, they may void the whole engine warranty. Seen some pretty crazy warranty denials reported by members here.

13. boB

boB Well-Known Member

First Name:
    boB
    Vehicle(s):
    2019 GT
    0   0   0
    "The noise is caused by the primary tensioners collapsing, this is caused by lower oil pressure at idle, which worsens as oil life decreases, eventually making noise through most driving rpms."

"...even in the event of low oil pressure at hot idle or when viscosity deteriorates as oil ages that the tensioner cannot fully collapse."

On a *stock engine that is driven only on the street* does oil deteriorate that much and lose viscosity in 5000-6000 miles? And if it does wouldn't 5w-30 be an easy and inexpensive fix?

14. GT Pony

GT Pony Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
    0   0   0
    Shear down depends on the oil. Some oils shear down more than others. Looking at lots of UOAs, Motorcraft seemed to shear more than some other brands.

I'd tend to agree what if any engine noise is caused by the oil being too thin, then typically running a thicker oil should result in higher oil pressure (at the same temps and RPM) and could make the engine quieter.

15. w3rkn

w3rkn Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    bmw 135is(sold)
    0   0   0
    But that has nothing to do with their tensioners holding oil, while engine is off, thus holding tension at start up.