Sponsored

No More Camaros After 2023!!! Will Mustangs Follow???

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
The oil prices went up long before Russia invaded. People have short memories.
oil_price_charts-2022-05-06.png

Oil prices were on the rise as tensions in the Ukraine increased. They took a big jump when things went from "maybe" a war to an actual shooting war.

But this was just meant as an example of how global events will drive the price of oil regardless of whether or not we have more capacity in the US. Who know what or when the next event will be?

stars_fan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
21 GT PP1, 20 Tesla M3P & 21 Ducati SFV4S
I, and I believe the average person, will not want $1000 or more electric bills every month. This is where we are heading.
You're a moron. I drive 1800 miles a month in my Tesla and it cost about $30 to charge.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I drive 1800 miles a month in my Tesla and it cost about $30 to charge.
When there are 20 to 30 million cars plugged in every night the price of electricity will skyrocket and or we will have rolling blackouts. Like in some states already.

No free lunch

Sponsored

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Electric vehicles are going to bite this country in the rear end for several reasons.

1. Range is just not good enough, the trucks are going to be the ones that really highlight that when they start getting worked and people find the electric motors use more and more power the harder you work them. Currently towing tests have been a disaster for electric vehicles dropping their range to barely over 100 miles.

2. The amount of time it takes to charge the batteries, I see Tesla owners all the time reading books waiting for their cars to recharge because it takes so long.

3. It is just not feasible to have all those expensive charging stations, what are people at apartments supposed to do? Do you really think apartment complexes are going to spend millions of dollars just to install electric charging stations for every renter?

4. Currently there are not that many electric vehicles on the road and of those 1 out of every 5 return to gas/diesel powered vehicles. It is currently a limited market and you can't force a product on the public.

5. Cost of the electric vehicles average $50,000 dollars and this is one tax payer who is not happy handing out tax credits to people who can afford to buy $50,000 dollar plus electric vehicles.

6. Cost of replacing batteries is far to expensive making electric cars throw away vehicles, who in their right mind is going to buy an electric vehicle with 100,000 or more miles on it then have to spend $15,000 plus dollars for a new battery, they still have a vehicle with 100,000 plus miles on it so there are a lot of things that are getting worn out besides the battery.
On top of those comments, the biggest issue is finding the raw materials for the EVs. I can remember reading that current known supplies of lithium, cobalt and nickel are less than demand which will create some real issues. Also as fuel prices rise, so do related fossil fuels such as coal, oil and gas which run most of the U.S. power companies which will translate into highter electric prices.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
oil_price_charts-2022-05-06.png

Oil prices were on the rise as tensions in the Ukraine increased. They took a big jump when things went from "maybe" a war to an actual shooting war.

But this was just meant as an example of how global events will drive the price of oil regardless of whether or not we have more capacity in the US. Who know what or when the next event will be?
If you look at the following graph you will see the effects of politics on oil prices. Certain folks in government are sold on the evils of fossil fuels and nuclear power and create a hostile environment for oil producers to fit their beliefs. What they fail to see is that you still need to produce power from fossil fuels as there is no replacement currently available. Especially with the hostile mentality against nuclear power which is by far the cleanest, cheapest (if done correctly) way to make electricity.
https://www.macrotrends.net/2516/wti-crude-oil-prices-10-year-daily-chart

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
We have over 200 years of oil just in the US alone. No subsidies needed nor do we need to rely on foreign countries.

Wind mills and solar will not meet demand.
This is absolutely correct. Well known. Politics are keeping us poor and dependent on government. In 1920 there were 421 publicly traded automobile companies on the NYSE. Today only one is left which has not gone bankrupt: F Markets demand determines pricing and product. In a free market it always has. Thankfully, even with malicious government intervention, we have survived!!

Veteran

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT white
Worrying about oil prices are a small piece of the puzzle.
look up Professor John Mearsheimer. China will influence the world completely one day
Or to say it better, they will be a major deciding factor as to how we will go forward, cars and otherwise.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
One of the big reasons I am a fan of renewable technology is that it can help decouple us from global politics and the volatility that it causes in our economy and in our wallets.

I agree with Veteran that China is setting itself up to be "running the table" on a global scale. While we have been busy arguing with ourselves over meaningless political nonsense and rhetoric, they have been playing the long game and are putting all the pieces on the board in way that will allow them to control critical technologies and resources on a global scale.

Renewable energy is is a big business opportunity and we are losing out to the Chinese because we want to argue with ourselves about which brand of sleazy politician is going to sit in Washington snuggling up to the lobbyists.

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
You could make the entire State of Tx into one giant solar farm and it would not meet current demand. Much less when we are forced into plug in EV's.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
I think you miss the fact that no technology is renewable. The cost of producing wind generators is significant and uses tons of fossil fuels to make. The lifespan is purported to last 25 years but there is now evidence that many don't make it 5 years. The parts end up in a landfill. Made of plastic, i.e. oil. Recycling has proved to be more energy inneficient than making the product from scratch. All needs oil or coal. Coal is super abundant and can burn incredibly clean, but the greenies hate it. Logic is irrevelant.
Oil is the best, cheapest energy except for coal. We have hundreds of years of it and it is safe for the environment.
OIL all the way!!!

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
You could make the entire State of Tx into one giant solar farm and it would not meet current demand. Much less when we are forced into plug in EV's.
And, you still have to use oil to make them, And, the oil used in the gearboxes have PBB a known carcinogen in them. Talk to farmers that did this 5-10 years ago and there are many sad stories associated with them. It is simply ridiculous!

But, we live in a world of feelings. If it feels good it must be good. Foolishness.

ay1820

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Al
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT/CS
I know I am arguing to the wrong crowd here, but the technology is improving by leaps and bounds every day with rapid gains in conversion and storage efficiency. But right now, all that tech belongs to China, and we will be at there mercy if we don't start to catch up.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
But right now, all that tech belongs to China, and we will be at there mercy if we don't start to catch up.
No, just use oil, natural gas and coal. Someday a better tech will come along but it is not wind mills and solar panels.
Sponsored