Sponsored

No E85? Who's running a tune on 110 Octane Race Gas?

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Yea, it's upwards of 9 dollars a gallon, but it's available and it almost sounds like a good alternative for those of us not wanting to mess around with E85, especially for a non-daily driver.

Just curious to hear if folks are using some of their expendable income on such? Of course E85 is the better alternative, no doubt. But I'm not sure I wanna mess with it I'll probably only drive the car 5,000 miles a year.

Does anyone do a mix of 110/93 etc.. and tune for that?

Seriously want to push the boundaries of the stock motor with Gasoline, will be set up with OPG's, 1050's, BAP, boost controller, Lund will do the tune...

This is for a twin-turbo application, but I would really appreciate experiences from anyone.

I am better off just getting a return style system and tuning for corn mash? :crazy:
Sponsored

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
If e85 is readily available to you It makes no sense to mix $10/gallon race fuel. I drive my car maybe 2500 mi/yr and have had no issues with e85. I’ve had the injectors and pumps out and everything was spotless after 18 months of straight use. I drive my car twice a week to get coffee and play around and keep the tank half full by adding 5 gallons or so each 1-2 weeks.

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I agree with Fast, if you have e85 nearby that is the way to go. You don't really have to mess with anything, I don't daily mine either. I average about 5,000 miles per year.

It unlocks so much more power potential than pump gas and it is cheap. I think all my future builds will run corn.

OP
OP
Bullitt69

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Thanks Guys, the installations begins next week, I'll definitely be talking with my tuner as things progress. Guess I could always start with Gas, then upgrade later if I feel the need. There are a few stations around here that carry it.

I still have some homework to do, I read here I think that you can switch between the two so there's that. (even have a setting in a tune to run the fuel pump only to drain - now that's pretty nifty)

Chummel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Thanks Guys, the installations begins next week, I'll definitely be talking with my tuner as things progress. Guess I could always start with Gas, then upgrade later if I feel the need. There are a few stations around here that carry it.

I still have some homework to do, I read here I think that you can switch between the two so there's that. (even have a setting in a tune to run the fuel pump only to drain - now that's pretty nifty)
Yep you can still switch between pump and E85 (tune change of course) but I have a 93 tune and an e85 tune - I also have the pump drain tune that you are referring to, it works well.

I just stepped up to a triple pump return with rails. I had the Sai Li dual pump system that supported my system up to 800 rwhp, on a turbo set up it supports closer to 900 rwhp. I am selling it if you are interested. $700 shipped ($725 if you want the extra fuel rail adapter to run a fuel pressure gauge to. I assume it is compatible with the 2018+ vehicles, I had it on a 2015.

If you are really wanting to push the stock motor though you may need more than 900 whp fuel system.

Sponsored

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
Kind of in a similar boat here. Arizona doesn’t have e85 and I’d really like a race tune so I’m thinking about 110 octane since I have that at a pump near my home.

Ishyne22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP - 2016 F150 5.0 ST - 2004 Ram SRT10 - 2003 Brickyard Nissan 350z TP
No E85 here. I spray water/methanol on top of 93. This boosts my octane to pretty damn close to 110(depending on jet). Also it supplements my fueling. Im running a whipple stage 2 kit with their canned tune. i keep pulleying down and add more meth to satisfy my air/fuel mix at wot. It also steam cleans the inside of my engine. Furthermore, i use the stock windshield washer reservoir as my meth tank. It cleans my windows real nice and my dash even tells me when im running low! No E85...no problem.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
No E85 here. I spray water/methanol on top of 93. This boosts my octane to pretty damn close to 110(depending on jet). Also it supplements my fueling. Im running a whipple stage 2 kit with their canned tune. i keep pulleying down and add more meth to satisfy my air/fuel mix at wot. It also steam cleans the inside of my engine. Furthermore, i use the stock windshield washer reservoir as my meth tank. It cleans my windows real nice and my dash even tells me when im running low! No E85...no problem.
See I like that too but I plan to use meth and race gas. I also planned on using the washer bottle For those reasons.

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
Yep you can still switch between pump and E85 (tune change of course) but I have a 93 tune and an e85 tune - I also have the pump drain tune that you are referring to, it works well.

I just stepped up to a triple pump return with rails. I had the Sai Li dual pump system that supported my system up to 800 rwhp, on a turbo set up it supports closer to 900 rwhp. I am selling it if you are interested. $700 shipped ($725 if you want the extra fuel rail adapter to run a fuel pressure gauge to. I assume it is compatible with the 2018+ vehicles, I had it on a 2015.

If you are really wanting to push the stock motor though you may need more than 900 whp fuel system.
Post a few pictures and install writeup on your new fuel system.Thanks

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Kind of in a similar boat here. Arizona doesn’t have e85 and I’d really like a race tune so I’m thinking about 110 octane since I have that at a pump near my home.
We have flex fuel e54 (lol) but at least one station I know of and use that tests e85-90 fyi. Works fine for NA flex tunes but probably not so much for dedicated boosted e tuning.

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
See I like that too but I plan to use meth and race gas. I also planned on using the washer bottle For those reasons.
That would be a waste. Only use the meth/water for your 93. Use the 100 octane without it. You're not going to see more benefits as far as timing from using both unless you tune for it and I wouldn't recommend that. A pump failure would leave you with a bricked engine.

OP
OP
Bullitt69

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Definitely some options out there for Meth, some with pretty fancy fail safes.... Curious which set up you're running?

Ishyne22

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ross
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP - 2016 F150 5.0 ST - 2004 Ram SRT10 - 2003 Brickyard Nissan 350z TP
Definitely some options out there for Meth, some with pretty fancy fail safes.... Curious which set up you're running?
I run the AEM v2 water methanol setup. I have never had even a hiccup with aem pumps or controllers. Their nozzle design with built in check valve in my opinion is second to none. As far as failsafe. I monitor via AEM water methanol failsafe gauge. Its not setup to boost cut or remove timing. I just monitor it and let the sensors work their advance and retard magic.

AZ_whippleS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT
That would be a waste. Only use the meth/water for your 93. Use the 100 octane without it. You're not going to see more benefits as far as timing from using both unless you tune for it and I wouldn't recommend that. A pump failure would leave you with a bricked engine.
the meth on top of race gas is more for cooling I am still running a stock engine and like half mile racing plus the occasional long street pull in Mexico of course. And there are advantages to keeping cylinder temps down namely keeping piston rings from kissing and breaking the pistons apart. Knock isn’t the only thing that kills engines.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
the meth on top of race gas is more for cooling I am still running a stock engine and like half mile racing plus the occasional long street pull in Mexico of course. And there are advantages to keeping cylinder temps down namely keeping piston rings from kissing and breaking the pistons apart. Knock isn’t the only thing that kills engines.
Of course Mexico why not?

No. Heat suppression is nice, 50/50 is good for this kind of thing. If it's going through a SC gonna need a big sustained shot for those runs in Mexico.
Sponsored