Sponsored

No driving a manual does not make you smarter, more skilled, a better driver or more of a car guy.

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Manual transmission was fun on my Mini, because I could put the pedal to the floor and really wail on it all the time, without going very fast. With 460 hp, it doesn't seem to matter much. What's better... granny shifting a manual or letting an automatic shift for you... who cares!
Granny-shifting a MT is as much fun as you care to make it out to be. Saving your "race face" for the track or the dragstrip doesn't have to mean you never get to put it on.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Having both manual and auto cars in our home fleet - and driving both types frequently - this just isn't true. False equivalence to compare different scenarios to MT driving.

I am even more attentive/observant and I tend to predict traffic patterns to a greater degree when driving manual (versus auto). The reason for this is I want to predict what positions my transmission - clutch - throttle should be in as I anticipate the traffic movements ahead.

When I drive my auto cars - not as much prediction or anticipation is needed - when the only inputs are throttle + brake.

Good or bad driving is not really affected by this per se. But attentiveness and predictive behaviors totally are.
Nicely explained.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
As a manual man, I think clutches are great. My only beef with DCTs is if you want to improve on something don't go part way. Get back to me when you offer a 6CT (with pedals to match).

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
When you really need to rely on an automatic cuz you can't use a manual:

H1.JPG
After reading my post, I want to do a little explaining.... this was in NO way a post to make fun of someone who needs to use a wheelchair.......... I have the utmost respect for those who need a wheelchair in order to continue life, they are tougher than most!
I have received zero hate mail due to this post, I just felt it may be construed as evil.
There are 2 groups that I have tremendous respect for:
1. Our military
2. Anyone disabled (and they will tell you, I'm not "disabled", get out of my way)

Dai Uy Ted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2020 Maserati Levante S Ribelle
...There are 2 groups that I have tremendous respect for:
1. Our military
2. Anyone disabled (and they will tell you, I'm not "disabled", get out of my way)
So, where's my beer? (No wheelchair here; just an occasional cane.) :like:

plates.JPG
cane.JPG

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
After reading my post, I want to do a little explaining.... this was in NO way a post to make fun of someone who needs to use a wheelchair.......... I have the utmost respect for those who need a wheelchair in order to continue life, they are tougher than most!
I have received zero hate mail due to this post, I just felt it may be construed as evil.
There are 2 groups that I have tremendous respect for:
1. Our military
All good! I'm sure we all took it in the good humour that was intended :)

Sponsored

nedim1991

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Magnetic Metallic GT
I got a manual because it's more fun to drive for me. Not because it's faster/slower or makes me a better/worse driver. I enjoy the additional layer of engagement, some people might not, all good. That's what it should be about with these types of cars, the fun of the driving experience. We certainly don't get them for their exceptional gas mileage.....

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
25mpg highway at 100+ is exceptional.
Was and still am impressed with the millage these cars get for what they are. Planned fuel budget is usually over and the excess falls right into the mod budget nicely.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6
Yeah, a 400+ HP car has no business driving 350-400 miles between fill ups (road trip only!).
My mini dyno'd at 276 to the front wheels and got 38mpg on the open road cruise control set at 95mph. When at 60mph averaged 32mpg. A day driving like a pissed off teenager netted 28mpg.
Sponsored