Sponsored

No driving a manual does not make you smarter, more skilled, a better driver or more of a car guy.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
You ARE the shifter. It's the ultimate expression of The Manual Man eschewing technology in favor of doing for himself.

I already have a 360mm radiator. When I say the CPU gets hotter, it's really the room that heats up :like:
Oh shit, I need to get one ASAP and trade the Mustang in for it. Sounds like the ultimate driving experience.

And lol, reminds me of when the GTX 400 series came out in 2010, I got a brand new 480 on launch. That summer was brutal. That mofo ran at like 97C as a normal temperature, it was absurd.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
You ARE the shifter. It's the ultimate expression of The Manual Man eschewing technology in favor of doing for himself.

I already have a 360mm radiator. When I say the CPU gets hotter, it's really the room that heats up :like:
Don't get me started. Back in the day I bought a 3081-D. The installers discovered one of the AC units for the room had a stuck thermostat, so shut it off to prevent frostbite but forgot to turn it back on. I arrived the next day to blaring alarms and operators down to their skivvies. I asked why they didn't call anyone and they said they understood the new mainframe was water cooled so didn't think air temp mattered and didn't want to wake anyone up in the middle of the night.

MagicMike

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike Hunt
Vehicle(s)
'16 V6 MT droptop / Race Red
when you give anything on this planet more things to do at once they slow down. do more things on a computer it gets slower and confused, put more people in a room and they cant move around at gets crowded and confusing. more people at Disney in line and everything comes to a crawl, more tasks for a worker and they get less done, more peopel in a car and it gets slower..... but you are saying that with more tasks on hand and to think about a manual driver gets faster and smarter and more aware... lol ok.
Having both manual and auto cars in our home fleet - and driving both types frequently - this just isn't true. False equivalence to compare different scenarios to MT driving.

I am even more attentive/observant and I tend to predict traffic patterns to a greater degree when driving manual (versus auto). The reason for this is I want to predict what positions my transmission - clutch - throttle should be in as I anticipate the traffic movements ahead.

When I drive my auto cars - not as much prediction or anticipation is needed - when the only inputs are throttle + brake.

Good or bad driving is not really affected by this per se. But attentiveness and predictive behaviors totally are.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I think I was still rocking my dual 9600GT's in SLI. Do you remember the days of single board dual-GPU? Stuff like the GTX 295 and Radeon HD 5970.
Yeah haha, I was just getting into computer building around that time. They were too rich for my blood, but I definitely pined for a GTX 295. When those came out I was running a Radeon 4870 with an Intel Q6600. What a boss that setup was for that time.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I think I was still rocking my dual 9600GT's in SLI. Do you remember the days of single board dual-GPU? Stuff like the GTX 295 and Radeon HD 5970.
hell my days are from the voodoo 2 and 3 back then they were the best things out.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I sense nerds

1617712503005.png

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Pshhh. I doubt any of them ever changed burned out vacuum tubes in their computers.
I have a nice glowing orange tube right on my desk ...

So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. "Gimme five bees for a quarter," you'd say. Now where were we... oh yeah. The important thing was that I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time.

Balr14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
BMW Z4 M40i
Manual transmission was fun on my Mini, because I could put the pedal to the floor and really wail on it all the time, without going very fast. With 460 hp, it doesn't seem to matter much. What's better... granny shifting a manual or letting an automatic shift for you... who cares!