Sponsored

No driving a manual does not make you smarter, more skilled, a better driver or more of a car guy.

Sivi70980

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red GT PP1 M6

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Auto man

The number one ferry-tail driving in traffic is so much better.
Well as manual man, I can confirm traffic is traffic.

Sponsored

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Prior to our marriage, my wife only drove stick shift but asked what that extra pedal was in my Dodge. Seems her '69 stick shift Beetle didn't have a clutch pedal. Any pressure on the stick, engaged the clutch. It also had a torque converter in addition to the clutch to let VW get away with eliminating 1st gear from their 4 speed trans and making it possible to drive (albeit slowly) using just the top two gears, so in addition to being a manual without a clutch pedal, it was also a sequential gearbox if you drove it that way. LoL
I had a 1969 Karmann Ghia that I drove to HS in the late 70s, thing was slow as Christmas, it had the same stick shift set-up that you mentioned w/o a clutch.

BluByeU

M6G SoCal Cruisers
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob HT
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium GTPP Recaros & Shaker 401a
Manual Man...

Never uses elevators or escalators.
Stops to wipe rain off the windshield because wipers take away from window wiping experience.
Fills his tires to proper PSI using his lungs and perfectly tuned hand grip on the side wall.
Always gets up to change the channel, remotes are stupid.
Never uses an alarm clock, has only been fired for tardiness a few times.
Man....you make the Manual Man sound like a dork :cwl:

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I've been driving manuals sine I was 12, overrated!
Cheer up. I'm sure you aren't as overrated as you say you are.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Briebee72

Briebee72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2019
I think driving a manual makes you a more aware driver. I wouldn't say better, but definitely more aware. I hate to generalize these kind of things but its just due to the mechanics of it all. Planning when to clutch, brake and so on.
aware of where you feet and hands are? how is focusing on more tasks like hand a foot placement making you any more aware of your surroundings? I would say it make you less aware since you are preoccupied with trying to shift and heel toe and all that jazz. I would say a auto driver is MORE AWARE of their surrounding cause they are not distracted with shifting and doing foot dances on the pedals.

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
now that's funny. How did you resist the urge to troll them and just move right back next to them?
that is funny 😄
Are you sure GF did make that up ?
may be she is trying to tell you something ??

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well. Good points but. the motorcycle thing is a different story and I can agree with the abs cause issues as i have a goofed up right thumb because of them. but for the car, You are discussing 3 things that are not necessary to know to be able to do to drive a manual well. Or to be a better driver in over all daily driving ability.

Back in the day sure being able to heal toe sure made shifts smoother but did it make you a better driver? not really. Maybe in the world of manuals it made you better then another manual driver in that paticular skill set but better driver as a whole naaa . But today heal toeing is unnessiasry and is akin to needing something printed and the printer insisting on using type set instead of just using a computer to make the document up or someone buying a new laptop and putting windows 98 on it. heal toeing is one of those things that some manual guy somewhere saw a race car driver do and brought it over to commuter driving and now insists its necessary. most every modern manual doesn't need heal toeing.

As for the other two points... that just you screwing around nether of those are necessary to drive a car at all in everyday life and are just show boating and having nothing to do with being a batter driver and are about equal too.....
tenor.gif
Im sorry but what? Dismissing heel toe as "unnecessary" is nonsense. It's a valid skill that improves your control and helps reduce clutch wear. The only time it's not necessary is if your car has auto rev matching, which has only showed up in the last couple years. Or if you're one of those people who insists slipping the clutch on downshift or just coasting to a stop in high gears is acceptable (hint, it's not).

Trap

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302
aware of where you feet and hands are? how is focusing on more tasks like hand a foot placement making you any more aware of your surroundings? I would say it make you less aware since you are preoccupied with trying to shift and heel toe and all that jazz. I would say a auto driver is MORE AWARE of their surrounding cause they are not distracted with shifting and doing foot dances on the pedals.
Driving a manual keeps you alert and involved in the drive. Doesn't give you the time to look around at the scenery, check on your cell phone, look in the mirror to comb your hair, eat while you drive.
Sponsored