No Crank in the Morning

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Roush Supercharger Premium 401A
What causes my car not to crank in the morning? The battery is new. The key fob battery is inside the car. The brake pedal is pressed, the doors are closed and the transmission is in Park (10R80). After a long delay, the steering wheel safety lock will release and the car will start.

For the rest of the day it will start instantly.

What causes this problem?
Sponsored

ApplesAndOranges

Dare to compare
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I JUST experienced this myself today for the first time. The key fob is in the car, and when depressing the brake pedal and pushing the ignition switch, only the accessories came on. It required a couple attempts.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
To diagnose this you really need a good scan tool, there's a number of parameters that need to be met in order for the car to enter "crank" mode. You can view all of them and find out what isn't happy. Could be something like the ignition relay failing to energize as well.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Just maybe, you're pushing the button too fast, sounds silly I know. But there is a minor delay from, ing on, system checks, passed, powering on> ready to turn over and start.

If the trans is in park you need the brake pedal pushed to start it?

Not thinking that it was so, because the auto trans allows for remote start.

Last edited:

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
If the trans is in park you need the brake pedal pushed to start it?
Yes you do. She will not crank if you don't press the pedal.

OP, isn't that your brake booster is failing and the pedal is harder than normal on morning?
It can happen if there is a vacuum leak, the pedal becomes hard and then the pedal sensor will not feel you pressing it until you press harder enough.

Sponsored

OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
My car has the Safe and Smart package; that may be part of the issue. It's not a problem now because I had to learn how to start the car. Now I push the brake pedal, release, wait for the click, then push the brake pedal and push the start button.

After some amount of inactivity, the Safe and Smart package resets. That seems to happen overnight.

All is well and the car starts perfectly.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Yes you do. She will not crank if you don't press the pedal.

OP, isn't that your brake booster is failing and the pedal is harder than normal on morning?
It can happen if there is a vacuum leak, the pedal becomes hard and then the pedal sensor will not feel you pressing it until you press harder enough.

So how does remote start work, or you don't have the feature I'm guessing?

Brake booster operation is easily checked, before cranking. Pump the brake pedal a couple of times. Dumps any residual pressure that may exist.

Placing a foot on the pedal and holding it there. When the car starts the peddle will move down, indicating the vacuum assist is working.

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
So how does remote start work, or you don't have the feature I'm guessing?
The EU cars do not have the Remote Start via keyfob, just via the app. And it's limited to five minutes.
Since I don't allow my car to communicate to FordPass I don't have the feature available then.

To drive the car you then get in and press the "Start" button with the keyfob in your pocket. I don't remember if I have to press the brake in this particular scenario tough.

OP
OP
WERA49

WERA49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
Listen at 1:05 into the video. You can hear the steering wheel unlock. That was the issue that I had to learn about.
Sponsored