No coolant in whipple reservoir. Help

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium Pack W/Brembos
Hey guys. Two questions, first off, I’m not sure how long there’s been no coolant in here, it could be months. What damage could have resulted? How do I fill it? Picture below

And second, Since I got my whipple installed, every once and a while it will go in limp mode, where I can’t give it any gas while driving, then after about 10 seconds, full power comes back. I thought it was happening because I was low on gas, but it did it today again for the first time in months. But it was 100 degrees out, and I was just accelerating onto the freeway. Cht was like 220. My IAT was bouncing from 100-156 depending on how fast I was driving. Stop and go traffic today it hit 156 degrees. Any thoughts?

7ACA6FE7-8730-4DAE-99F2-60B2C494D668.jpeg
33601AE7-18CF-40C6-96FD-1D506AA645FA.jpeg
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
There's an unauthorized exit of the coolant somewhere. Pressure test it.

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
How long as the whipple been on the car? It took me a good month of drive cycles to get all the air out of the system. It‘s in own system and does not share engine coolant. If you press the start button to put the car in accessory mode, after a few seconds the intercooler pump will turn on. With a bunch of air in it you’ll hear cavitation. Only damage you could do is prematurely wear out the pump since it’s been sucking air. Your IATs will be higher too.

Not sure on the limp mode issue. I only had that issue once and it was at the track last weekend. But I think it was ‘advance trac’ kicking in on a hard shift. Once I pulled the nanny plug under the hood to fully disable it, it never did it again.

Here is a link to a video on the fill procedure:

OP
OP
evotriox88

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
How long as the whipple been on the car? It took me a good month of drive cycles to get all the air out of the system. It‘s in own system and does not share engine coolant. If you press the start button to put the car in accessory mode, after a few seconds the intercooler pump will turn on. With a bunch of air in it you’ll hear cavitation. Only damage you could do is prematurely wear out the pump since it’s been sucking air. Your IATs will be higher too.

Not sure on the limp mode issue. I only had that issue once and it was at the track last weekend. But I think it was ‘advance trac’ kicking in on a hard shift. Once I pulled the nanny plug under the hood to fully disable it, it never did it again.

Here is a link to a video on the fill procedure:
Okay thanks! What coolant from auto part store do you suggest? And do I have to mix it with water? Whipple has been on the car for about 10 months.

Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Just get the orange stuff or something equivalent to the new Ford yellow coolant. Either will work. If buying pre-diluted, no need to mix. If buying the concentrated stuff, mix 50/50 with distilled water.

ZPD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Your engine coolant and your Intercooler are on two different circuits and they both look low (the engine just a bit but no telling on the Whipple). You probably didn't do any damage unless it was to your pump.
Check your whipple manual- If I recall correctly it basically recommends using as little coolant as possible and to use distilled water and water wetter if you don't get below freezing.

OP
OP
evotriox88

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
This is what happened when I tried filling up the intercooler with coolant…

a rat ate half of my windshield wiper reservoir a few months back, he must have ate a coolant tube too. Soo mad.

33ABDABF-9727-4912-B71A-B25847654AA2.jpeg

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
Oh that sucks! I bet that entire system was dry. I would replace the intercooler pump at this point. Could have burned it up if it was sucking nothing but air for a while.

OP
OP
evotriox88

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Oh that sucks! I bet that entire system was dry. I would replace the intercooler pump at this point. Could have burned it up if it was sucking nothing but air for a while.
I can still hear it turn on and try to pump when I go into accessory mode.

Sponsored

Whitedevil95

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J.P.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Good lord! Thats a bummer. Your going to have to take the front bumper off and see what lines you need to order from whipple.

sube83sti

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Amit
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT PP1 - A10 - Magneride 2016 Infiniti Q50 Red Sport
Just got my Whipple installed on Friday and checked under the hood today and also noticed no/low coolant. Should I use the Ford yellow coolant?

20210627_164420.jpg

20210627_164426.jpg

Last edited:

Mantis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Regardless of the rat the procedure to fill/check/fill is long and takes dozens of drive cycles before all the air is out. For the first few thousand miles i checked every morning and it needed to be topped off.

use the same that goes in coolant but dont mix colors. I stuck with ford oem.

if your unit was that dry or worst case bone dry and you have been driving it then there is likely damage to the unit. I would call whipple immediately. You will likely need to send to have it inspected and likely rebuilt. Limp mode is probably from things binding up. Last thing you want is to trash the motor at this point. Park it until fixed.

OP
OP
evotriox88

evotriox88

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
Regardless of the rat the procedure to fill/check/fill is long and takes dozens of drive cycles before all the air is out. For the first few thousand miles i checked every morning and it needed to be topped off.

use the same that goes in coolant but dont mix colors. I stuck with ford oem.

if your unit was that dry or worst case bone dry and you have been driving it then there is likely damage to the unit. I would call whipple immediately. You will likely need to send to have it inspected and likely rebuilt. Limp mode is probably from things binding up. Last thing you want is to trash the motor at this point. Park it until fixed.
I did call whipple, they said there would have been no damage to the unit, because the unit was still being cooled by air. The coolant only helps cool the air. It doesn't provide the air. Plus, this car isn't my daily driver, so I haven't put a whole lot of miles on it since the rat problem. Also, luckily it has been winter time, so it hasn't been too hot until that last drive.

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
^ This. Add coolant, and pay attention to how much you have to add. Mine usually takes 3-4 time of driving/topping it off to fully stay showing in the tube/reservoir you have there. Takes maybe an oz or two each time, then eventually stops dropping.

On my initial install/fill, after the 1st road test it was not visible like yours. Added in maybe 1/4 quart at most to bring it back to full, then added 1 or 2 oz at most for the next week or so and it stayed topped off.

Watch for leaks on the ground as well, if you're having to add a lot and it's leaking out on the ground, you'll need to look over all the intercooler hoses to find the leak, and correct it before doing anything else. If you paid to have the install done, do not do anything but add coolant, call the shop, and get it back to have it looked at. Once you start playing with it, that can change things a bit.
Sponsored