Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Alot of my friends have 1LE SS Camaros and one has a 2019 ZLE. The ZLE is a stock A10 car with less than 5k miles that has been in the shop at least 3 times for trans issues. The tech, dealer, and GM Performance know the car is pretty much a dedicated track car. Dealer did the track alignment on it. GM Performance is actually talking with the owner and the dealer about trans overheating issues. Trans has been replaced at least once free of charge. The trans gets hot on track and goes into limp mode after 2-3 hard laps. Street driving is 100% fine. GM Performance has pulled data from the car, they know full well what its being used for and have zero issue for paying for repairs.

Not only are they paying for the repairs without complaint, they are actively working with the owner and the tech to solve the issue and get the car performing on track. For time reference, the trans was replaced less than 3 months ago.

Not that I'm in the market, but I am one of the only Ford guys in my circle, I hope Ford steps up and changes the wording for you guys that use your cars.
In this case, the manufacturer is doing the smart thing for all involved. Instead of denying warranty and slapping the owner's hands for doing such horrible things to their car, GM is using it as R&D. The customer gets his car fixed under warranty, and the manufacturer gets cheap, real-world data to improve their product.

Customer and manufacturer working together, what a concept.
Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500 - SOLD and 2020 GT500 - SOLD
This is from the 2013 GT500 Supplement.

SVT does not recommend modifying or racing SVT vehicles, as they are
designed and built to be driven as delivered from the factory. The
warranty information discusses vehicle usage and the installation of
aftermarket parts and their effect on warranty coverage.

In the event the vehicle is intended for track use, and the loss of
warranty coverage is not a concern,
SVT recommends the car is
equipped with the SVT Track Pack.

The Shelby GT500 carries the same warranty as other Ford Mustang
models. Damage caused by accidents, collision or objects striking the
vehicle (including driving through a car wash) or misuse of the vehicle,
such as driving over curbs, overloading, racing or using the vehicle as a
permanent stationary power source is not covered under the new vehicle
limited warranty

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
In this case, the manufacturer is doing the smart thing for all involved. Instead of denying warranty and slapping the owner's hands for doing such horrible things to their car, GM is using it as R&D. The customer gets his car fixed under warranty, and the manufacturer gets cheap, real-world data to improve their product.

I believe GM has specific language in the ZL1/ZLE (and the 1LE SS) warranty documentation that allows / covers under warranty, non-competitive/timed track events like HDPEs.

"..permanent stationary power source?"

WTH?
Like leaving it running and tapping into the power, like a generator.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP

Well, based on my experience going to many track days/racing every year, you have so much more Mustang/ 350 than you have camaro ( a ratio of 1 to 10 maybe) that the overall warranty cost for GM must be a fraction of what it is for Ford
And cost is certainly the major metric in a manufacturer decision

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I believe GM has specific language in the ZL1/ZLE (and the 1LE SS) warranty documentation that allows / covers under warranty, non-competitive/timed track events like HDPEs.

Yea, like one of those monster inverters. A huge draw on the electrical system and I have been told that idling for long periods is not good for the engine.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I sorta get that DT but I should have been a bit clearer with my question...

Why would someone do that? I can't imagine.

KB

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I sorta get that DT but I should have been a bit clearer with my question...

Why would someone do that? I can't imagine.

KB
I can think of one reason off the top of my head..... Post hurricane. Your car can become an instant generator with a large inverter. If I had no other way to run my refrigerator for survival, I would consider it.

Another scenario..... You are in the middle of nowhere and need a significant source of electrical power.....

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
OK...the storm situation hadn't crossed my mind but no doubt many have done just that when regular service is out. Good call, Tom.

KB
Here is a 5,000W inverter. Thats about 41 amps of 120V 82 amps peak load. That is a boatload of power. Slap one of these babies on your cars battery terminal and say bye bye warranty.

inverter.jpg

Sponsored

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Earl but...

"..permanent stationary power source?"

WTH?

KB
Haven't you ever wondered what some people in colder climates use there cars for when it is to cold to drive?

Last edited:

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Wow, we had one of those for splitting firewood on a '69 F-100 when I was a kid, long before I had my driver's license. I got to run the clutch and brake while Dad risked life and limb. I didn't know they still existed, assuming they do.

AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Wow, we had one of those for splitting firewood on a '69 F-100 when I was a kid, long before I had my driver's license. I got to run the clutch and brake while Dad risked life and limb. I didn't know they still existed, assuming they do.
Just like tipping cows is still a past time probably :cwl:

jwt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Bullitt
I thought the permanent power source was more likely taking a wheel off, fitting a rim and running a belt to power machinery

My uncle powered his 60" saw blade mill from a tractor using this method. Be mad to see a GT350 doing it :)

Snoopy49

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Earl
Vehicle(s)
I thought the permanent power source was more likely taking a wheel off, fitting a rim and running a belt to power machinery

My uncle powered his 60" saw blade mill from a tractor using this method. Be mad to see a GT350 doing it :)
That is what I had in mine, but was unable to find any videos.
Sponsored