Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Folks,

An update..... FP has not replied to my request for "official" clarification of the warranty pertaining to track use.

I emailed Jim Owens and despite our productive conversation, he hasn't replied to my request for an official clarification.

At this point I encourage anyone who has any concern over their warranty pertaining to track use to contact Ford Performance.

I recently suffered a track related issue. I am not worried about the warranty because it is a low dollar item and I have been assured that the car is covered for track use (as delivered). Had I not had the private statement I have in writing, I would be concerned. Why FP or Jim Owens would want to keep the warranty vague for interpretation is insulting IMHO.

I encourage anyone with concern to reach out to FP.
Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I recently suffered a track related issue. I am not worried about the warranty because it is a low dollar item and I have been assured that the car is covered for track use (as delivered). Had I not had the private statement I have in writing, I would be concerned. Why FP or Jim Owens would want to keep the warranty vague for interpretation is insulting IMHO.

I encourage anyone with concern to reach out to FP.
Wait, are you saying that the item is covered only because of the statement that you have in writing?

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Wait, are you saying that the item is covered only because of the statement that you have in writing?
No, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that the way the warranty reads, Ford had the option to cover it or not. They chose to cover it, which is consistent with the conversation I had with Jim.

So here is my current situation.....

I had a CV fail. I would say the current CV joint is damaged, wouldn't you? It occurred on the track.

If you read the warranty exclusion, it says....
What is Not Covered Under the
New Vehicle Limited Warranty?
Damage caused by:
• Abuse, competition, racing, track use
or other events.

By the strictest interpretation of the warranty, my issue is not covered. My CV is damaged. The damage happened on the track. I did not abuse the car, modify it, or use it in a manner that was not consistent with the design or intent of the car as it was built.

As far as I know, this issue is being covered under warranty. My point is that by the way the warranty reads, Ford could push back and not cover the issue. In this instance, they are going to repair the car. Lets say I blew an engine or a transmission (or both), would Ford cover that? I wouldn't feel comfortable with the way the warranty reads. My conversation with Jim was that Damage is interpreted to be abuse. As far as I know, Ford has not defined in writing what damage is and how it affects the warranty.

My issue is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. I would be surprised if Ford offered any kind of resistance over this issue. With that said, if I was using the car on the track, I certainly would reach out to Ford and/or Ford Performance to get a clarification that you can hang your hat on.

I reached out to both Jim and FP with one last request for something official and I received no reply. I think it is time for anyone with a concern to do what they have to do.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
No, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that the way the warranty reads, Ford had the option to cover it or not. They chose to cover it, which is consistent with the conversation I had with Jim.

I had a CV fail. I would say the current CV joint is damaged, wouldn't you? It occurred on the track.

Damage caused by:
or other events.

By the strictest interpretation of the warranty, my issue is not covered. My CV is damaged. The damage happened on the track. I did not abuse the car, modify it, or use it in a manner that was not consistent with the design or intent of the car as it was built.

As far as I know, this issue is being covered under warranty. My point is that by the way the warranty reads, Ford could push back and not cover the issue. In this instance, they are going to repair the car. Lets say I blew an engine or a transmission (or both), would Ford cover that? I wouldn't feel comfortable with the way the warranty reads. My conversation with Jim was that Damage is interpreted to be abuse. As far as I know, Ford has not defined in writing what damage is and how it affects the warranty.

My issue is small potatoes in the grand scheme of things. I would be surprised if Ford offered any kind of resistance over this issue. With that said, if I was using the car on the track, I certainly would reach out to Ford and/or Ford Performance to get a clarification that you can hang your hat on.

I reached out to both Jim and FP with one last request for something official and I received no reply. I think it is time for anyone with a concern to do what they have to do.
Tom, first of all, kudos to you for pushing this issue to the wall. The more I read this thread, especially the quoted post, the more I come to the conclusion that what Ford is consciously doing here is splitting hairs between the definitions of defect and damage. They are also positioning themselves as the final authority of which condition they are seeing on a case by case basis.

It sounds like they are willing to cover failures that occur on the track if they can conclude that the failure is because of a defect in a part or system. It might be a failure mode that might not normally occur in everyday driving, but surfaces through the more intense use on track. That is probably Tom’s experience with his CV joint. The part that should make GT500 owners nervous is where do they draw the fine line between defect and damage. If a GT500 blows the transmission because the torque management scheme malfunctions and doesn’t protect the transmission, is that defect or damage? I would say defect, but what would Ford say?

I wonder if 2020 GT350 owners might have an angle in arguing the point that the 2019 and earlier cars don’t have a track exclusion, even though they are the same content? Thing is, there is precedence for companies changing warranty coverage without changing the product.

Sponsored

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
What I find very sad and sleezy is Jim making a verbal statement to you but not willing to put in writing for the mass...
Am I surprised?, of course not, it’s what I said from the beginning, the warranty wording was carefully crafted and vetted
Thanks for your efforts

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
Tom, first of all, kudos to you for pushing this issue to the wall. The more I read this thread, especially the quoted post, the more I come to the conclusion that what Ford is consciously doing here is splitting hairs between the definitions of defect and damage. They are also positioning themselves as the final authority of which condition they are seeing on a case by case basis.

It sounds like they are willing to cover failures that occur on the track if they can conclude that the failure is because of a defect in a part or system. It might be a failure mode that might not normally occur in everyday driving, but surfaces through the more intense use on track. That is probably Tom’s experience with his CV joint. The part that should make GT500 owners nervous is where do they draw the fine line between defect and damage. If a GT500 blows the transmission because the torque management scheme malfunctions and doesn’t protect the transmission, is that defect or damage? I would say defect, but what would Ford say?

I wonder if 2020 GT350 owners might have an angle in arguing the point that the 2019 and earlier cars don’t have a track exclusion, even though they are the same content? Thing is, there is precedence for companies changing warranty coverage without changing the product.
A warranty is nothing more than a contract between 2 parties
By buying the car, you agree to the terms of the contract. Nothing more, nothing less

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
What I find very sad and sleezy is Jim making a verbal statement to you but not willing to put in writing for the mass...
Am I surprised?, of course not, it’s what I said from the beginning, the warranty wording was carefully crafted and vetted
Thanks for your efforts
He didn't refuse, he just didn't reply to my email requesting it. FP is the party who wouldn't put out any kind of memo or written policy clarification when asked to do so. Jim said he would review the whole issue and I never heard from him again.

Either way, I think the consensus is correct, they don't want to put it in writing so that they can approve or deny each warranty claim as it arises.

I am not advocating slamming FP with calls, emails, and chats, but as I said..... If you are concerned about how the warranty reads and how it applies to you and your comfort level, I would strongly suggest reaching out.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R

Damage caused by:
or other events.

Okay I see what you mean now. Man that does suck Ford playing mental gymnastics with the warranty. Definitely not cool at all.

At least you tried, I kinda expected this when you brought up the issue. We are at the mercy of the service manager or whoever gets the final say on if something will be covered or not

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Okay I see what you mean now. Man that does suck Ford playing mental gymnastics with the warranty. Definitely not cool at all.

At least you tried, I kinda expected this when you brought up the issue. We are at the mercy of the service manager or whoever gets the final say on if something will be covered or not
We all are in a position to do something about it. If everyone who had a concern reached out to Ford, the issue would require a response. I got the unofficial version, but that dosen't make it all OK.

Sponsored

SmokinAces

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eddie
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
We are at the mercy of the service manager or whoever gets the final say on if something will be covered or not
. This is the ugly part of this considering I’m new in town, so new to the dealership. Purchased from another dealership so my situation like many others will be extremely difficult. Thnx Tom for making contact and keeping us posted. That must have taken a lot of time and immense patience. I’m in too far, I bought into this so no room to cry about it now. Well now I begin my campaign to share my frustration with Ford along with a few car magazines.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
He didn't refuse, he just didn't reply to my email requesting it. FP is the party who wouldn't put out any kind of memo or written policy clarification when asked to do so. Jim said he would review the whole issue and I never heard from him again.

Either way, I think the consensus is correct, they don't want to put it in writing so that they can approve or deny each warranty claim as it arises.

I am not advocating slamming FP with calls, emails, and chats, but as I said..... If you are concerned about how the warranty reads and how it applies to you and your comfort level, I would strongly suggest reaching out.
Why do you mention FP, Ford Performance I believe, all the time instead of Ford?
My understanding, from buying parts from them, is that they are another legal entity and that their parts are considered “after-market” by Ford
The warranty is a Ford warranty, not an FP...
Or am I missing something here??

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
No, ford performance. I was directed to ford performance from ford. Ill be calling ford back again i guess.

luc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT with PP
No, ford performance. I was directed to ford performance from ford. Ill be calling ford back again i guess.
Ok, that make no sense at all from Ford to direct you to Ford Performance, another legal entity, therefore a third party, for questions regarding their own warranty and verbiage
Seems to me like playing games

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Ok, that make no sense at all from Ford to direct you to Ford Performance, another legal entity, therefore a third party, for questions regarding their own warranty and verbiage
Seems to me like playing games
The GT350 and GT500 are Ford Performance products. Ford performance is more than just aftermarket parts.
Sponsored