Nitto NT555RII vs MPS4S

Wes S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What are your thoughts on the nitto NT555RII? I have a 2016 mustang GT PP1 with 19” gt350 replica wheels that is just a weekend car. The only performance mods are a cat back exhaust and ford performance power pack 2. I usually drive it twice a month on nice days in south Texas. I currently have MPSS 325/30 r19 that have just been heat cycled too many times from the Texas heat and they are hard as a rock. I will average less than 2500 miles a year. My goal is a tire that will hook well in dry weather and that I could drive to a local drag strip a couple times a year. My only concern is if I want to take a 3 hour trip to Houston or college station do I need to go with a tire like the MPS4S or will the nittos be sufficient for that duration? Thanks guys
Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Ive been researching this for a while now. I've come down to the PS4S being the better tire on the street, 555R2 being the better on the track, and mixed driving the PS4S. The grip of the PS4S is going to be a very very small amount less than the R2 from what Ive found

OP
OP

Wes S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Ive been researching this for a while now. I've come down to the PS4S being the better tire on the street, 555R2 being the better on the track, and mixed driving the PS4S. The grip of the PS4S is going to be a very very small amount less than the R2 from what Ive found
The R2 being a drag radial do you really think they are that similar in performance? With the tread wear being 100 vs 300 for the MPS4S I was hoping for a tire that just hooks really well.

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
If you're just looking for traction and more straight line fun, then the softer R2's are the route to go. I purchased a set for the rear, but have yet to mount them.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
The R2 being a drag radial do you really think they are that similar in performance? With the tread wear being 100 vs 300 for the MPS4S I was hoping for a tire that just hooks really well.
What kind of power are you putting down? I also only do straight line. Im just going off of what Ive researched on many different forums. I know the tread wear is pretty different but real world people say the difference on the street is minimal when comparing the two. You have to toss out the ones replacing worn out PS4S with 555r2 comparisons because of course there would be a significant difference just like replacing worn out PS4S with new PS4S

Sponsored

OP
OP

Wes S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What kind of power are you putting down? I also only do straight line. Im just going off of what Ive researched on many different forums. I know the tread wear is pretty different but real world people say the difference on the street is minimal when comparing the two. You have to toss out the ones replacing worn out PS4S with 555r2 comparisons because of course there would be a significant difference just like replacing worn out PS4S with new PS4S
I have no idea, it’s just a power pack 2 tune and exhaust so I would hope near the 2020 stock power levels. I agree with the worn out vs new because the tires I have now are like ice skates. Because I want to make a few couple hour trips through out the year I might be better of with the PS4S.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
I run the R2s.
I haven’t had any issues with longer drives whatsoever. Sure it’s a drag radial with 100 tread wear, but they have been fantastic. I’ve even been caught in in down pours with no concerns. Yes, they hook really well according to my Dragy.
I can’t compare the the PS4 as I’ve never used them.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I have the Rii. I drove on them this past summer and put about 2500 miles on them. They do hook better than the Michelin. I was caught in a rain storm driving back from Atlanta and drove for about an hour in pouring rain and didn't have a problem out of the Rii. I did put it in weather mode and kept the speeds down . Since you aren't planning to put too many miles on your car, the Rii would work out good, otherwise most say they can't get above about 7k miles out of them. I have also driven them on a 3+ hour trip with no problem.

Your statement was that you are looking for the better hooking tire. The Nitto Rii is the better tire for that. People that buy them are not buying them for their ability to get a lot of miles out of them.
I have gone to the extreme of having two sets of wheels and tires. During the hot months, the Rii stay on the car. When the weather cools, the other set goes on.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
My 18 bolt on tuned on e85 I can dead hook on the street on PS4S most of the time. As long as the street is pretty clean

OP
OP

Wes S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I run the R2s.
I haven’t had any issues with longer drives whatsoever. Sure it’s a drag radial with 100 tread wear, but they have been fantastic. I’ve even been caught in in down pours with no concerns. Yes, they hook really well according to my Dragy.
I can’t compare the the PS4 as I’ve never used them.
Awesome, I really appreciate the feed back. I also like that the r2 come in a little taller side wall so I’m getting closer to stock wheel height with the 19s

Sponsored
OP
OP

Wes S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wes
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have the Rii. I drove on them this past summer and put about 2500 miles on them. They do hook better than the Michelin. I was caught in a rain storm driving back from Atlanta and drove for about an hour in pouring rain and didn't have a problem out of the Rii. I did put it in weather mode and kept the speeds down . Since you aren't planning to put too many miles on your car, the Rii would work out good, otherwise most say they can't get above about 7k miles out of them. I have also driven them on a 3+ hour trip with no problem.

Your statement was that you are looking for the better hooking tire. The Nitto Rii is the better tire for that. People that buy them are not buying them for their ability to get a lot of miles out of them.
I have gone to the extreme of having two sets of wheels and tires. During the hot months, the Rii stay on the car. When the weather cools, the other set goes on.
I was thinking of getting a set of 17s or 18s for the R2s to do them same. But I do like the look of my current set up. I’m honestly not concerned about the longevity. I doubt I will be able to put 7K miles on the car in 2.5 years. And I’m good with buying new tires every other year. Any concerns with flat spots if I don’t drive the car for 2 weeks at a time? Longest would be 3
weeks. I commute at minimum 3 hours a day for work, so I don’t get off on the weekdays ready to jump in the car.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I've had no flats spots after the vehicle has sat for a couple of weeks.

I was thinking of getting a set of 17s or 18s for the R2s to do them same. But I do like the look of my current set up. I’m honestly not concerned about the longevity. I doubt I will be able to put 7K miles on the car in 2.5 years. And I’m good with buying new tires every other year. Any concerns with flat spots if I don’t drive the car for 2 weeks at a time? Longest would be 3
weeks. I commute at minimum 3 hours a day for work, so I don’t get off on the weekdays ready to jump in the car.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
You shouldnt have flat spots on a radial unless you are running crazy low air pressure