Sponsored

Nitto nt555 G2 Tires seem to suck?

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
So I've had a staggered 255/275 19" summer setup on here for the last couple years and this year especially since I have all new suspension setup, I am noticing that these tires just don't stay planted. 1st and 2nd gear rolling when I hit it I spin, going through twisty corners I slide a lot, and in the rain, I'm a little scared to be honest.
Anyone else experiencing this, and what tire do your recommend in this price range to replace with?
Options I am considering - Conti Extreme Sport, Indy 500's, or for more $ PS4 i it's worth it on a street car?
Thanks in advance for your help
Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
I run those Nittos as my daily tire and don't have the issues you're describing. Sure they spin in first and a bit in second, but I'm just over 700 to the wheels and pretty much any regular radial will do that for me.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I had them on my car before the supercharger. They seamed fine to me.

Semp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Magneride
NT555G2 are lower end performance tires. They are not even in the same class as the PSS4S you mention. If you have the money buy the Michelin PSS4s’. Also go wider in the front and rear for better traction and honestly better looks. I run Nitto NT05’s in 275/305/35R19. They are 100% stickier than the 555G2’s and on a warm day the PSS4s’ too that came with my car But that’s the point of them and the rain performance doing the actual speed limit and taking it easy in the rain fine. I have about 530 to the crank and 460 to the wheels. They will not last as long as the 555G2’s but they perform better. When it comes to pure all around best street tire though, the answer is easy the Michelin’s you mentioned are the best if you have the extra money to spend. Get a 275/295/35R19 set up since the profile of the 305 in that tire is too small at just 30 in my opinion. You’ll be very happy with those. Or get the Nitto Nt05 but expect to replace the tires every 10-15k miles depending on how rough you are on them.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Put some Indy's, or preferably Nitto NT01's or Toyo R888R's (drags will work but you're talking about losing grip on corners) on back and call it a day. Both are very expensive but the others won't hold as well. Just stay out of the rain. I moved the continental extreme's up front. If you go WOT from a dig or hit the corners hard the other's won't hold as well on back.

Sponsored

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input guys.
Issue is that I’m in Chicago and only about a month is hot so the rest of the time it’s 60’s to 70’s by the lake especially. Maybe this tire is too hard in these temps?
I can’t go much wider as I have 9” wide in front and 10” rear
How many miles will I get out of the ps4’s?
And will they work ok down to 30 degrees as I run my winter wheel/tire setup November-April usually

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
I live in Louisiana. My 555 G2's can get scary on wet roads.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
Continental extreme sports will work best for you in the conditions you drive in. I got 36k miles out of my first set and currently 25k on my second set. Drive en in all weather and surprisingly they grip great in wet and cold asphalt. Dry weather is great too for a street tire.

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
Continental extreme sports will work best for you in the conditions you drive in. I got 36k miles out of my first set and currently 25k on my second set. Drive en in all weather and surprisingly they grip great in wet and cold asphalt. Dry weather is great too for a street tire.
What size tires are you running?

Ghost50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Metallic GT PP1
I’ve got the 555’s and I hydroplaned the first day I put them on. They’ve been on the car for about two weeks now.

Granted I don’t usually take my car out in the rain but I got caught in a storm that day. I’d just gotten them installed that day and was headed to a friends and it started pouring.

I was going about 70 on a highway here that is concrete and not asphalt and has the little quieting grooves cut into it.

Pucker factor was high. My advancetrac and traction control kicked in and saved me.

In dry conditions they’re very good. No strip runs on them yet.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
I like continental tires. I have extreme contact winters and they work well.
My summers are 19” 255/275 staggered
I’d like something grippier/softer than the 555’s but not anywhere near drag tires.
25-30k life is fine

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, these tires blow in the rain, especially 50 60 degrees out.. woah!

I’ve got the 555’s and I hydroplaned the first day I put them on. They’ve been on the car for about two weeks now.

Granted I don’t usually take my car out in the rain but I got caught in a storm that day. I’d just gotten them installed that day and was headed to a friends and it started pouring.

I was going about 70 on a highway here that is concrete and not asphalt and has the little quieting grooves cut into it.

Pucker factor was high. My advancetrac and traction control kicked in and saved me.

In dry conditions they’re very good. No strip runs on them yet.

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
I'm running PP stock size tires 255/275 on 19x10 F and 19x11 R. They have a bit of stretch to them but handle great at 32 psi.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the input guys.
Issue is that I’m in Chicago and only about a month is hot so the rest of the time it’s 60’s to 70’s by the lake especially. Maybe this tire is too hard in these temps?
I can’t go much wider as I have 9” wide in front and 10” rear
How many miles will I get out of the ps4’s?
And will they work ok down to 30 degrees as I run my winter wheel/tire setup November-April usually
Your temps are fine. You just need a sticker tire if you want better traction when going WOT. Something "R" rated or ultra performance (nitto NT01, Toyo R888R, Michelin Cups 2 for track) or if you're only worried about straight line get a drive to the track Drag radial like MT streets. You can get away with 275's until you supercharge adding a lot more low end torque.

OP
OP
ChitownStang

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
It's not just straight line, it's when I go through twisties or coming out of a corner. The tires your talking about seem to be track focused. I need something good in the rain and for long road trips, lower temps, etc...
Do you think the Indy's or Conti Extreme better than the NT555's or a lateral move?
Sponsored