Sponsored

Nitto 555R Extreme DR 305-35-20 feedback

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I need to thank both whoever it was on here that told me to consider the Nitto 555 Ext DR 305-35-20 to replace my Nitto 555 G2 305-30-20 rear tires with. Sorry I forget who it was but it was a great payout. Another big credit goes to the kid who made this you tube video comparing the 888R, MT S/S, and Nitto 555 Extreme DR on two different FI setups. While their testing was not lab quality (who cares as long as it gives you an idea unless you are a Motor Trend reader) their back road results proved out that the Nitto 555R Extreme was a contender and for $100 less per than the Toyo 888 held ALMOST but not quite as well. So I went with the cheaper of the two better resulting tires and I am happy.

The car puts down only 631 RWHP through the 6R80 (PD setup) however the 555 G2's just weren't not getting it done as compared to when they were on the previous 14GT auto that made 540ish RWHP.

Tire - Nitto 555R Extreme 305-35-20 running at the time at 36 psi (warmed up) on a 10.5" rim. Nitto suggests a 10-11.5 rim for the tire.

Sunny out today and about 73 degrees. Had the tires on the car for about 20 minutes. My focus was hooking, not cornering. The 555 G2's would spin and the car would wiggle on a 60mph kickdown and then go. At 50 MPH the rear end would try to catch up with the front end every time. I found a lonely straight away and slowed down to 60 and hit it. Car went straight and never budged. Next hit was at 50 mph using paddle shift. Brought the car down to second and nailed it. It held. So next I tried lat footing the go pedal at 50 in DRIVE and again the car acted like it was on rails. So I got brave and slowed down to 40MPH and hit it again. The tires chirped slightly there was a slight jump and again away the car went.

If you are running up to 700 RWHP and are looking for a street tire this is one to consider. I was actually shocked. I was betting that I had just wasted my money, but the car is now much more stable. While I don't see the tire being one to hook from a dig, and have yet to try it, it will at least be better than the 555 G2 that lights up in 1st at half throttle.

Attached in the video that compares the three.

Sponsored

Mustanggtvert32907

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
michael
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT convertible
I had the 555r on another car putting down 830 and in the rain I parked the car dry weather they are great but in the rain or damp road I would be scared. I just picked up 2 pilot sports at 270 a piece 305/35/19 I live in Florida and it rains daily though just about

OP
OP
ugstang17

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
good to know. I hung on to the G2's in case the tires were incapable on wet surfaces. I don't expect them to be something to be out on in rain, but hoping I can at least get home if caught in it by driving slowly enough. Can't be worse than being in snow on a summer tire which I have had happen being caught in a sudden squall.
Sponsored