Not open for further replies.

Allan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
As someone stated above air is 79% nitrogen and 21% oxygen. I have a hard time believing that you would see a differ thermal expansion with air vs nitrogen. With that said most shop air compressors do not have sufficient moisture separators to remove all of the moisture out of the air. So you air pumping air and water into your tires. The combination of water and oxygen will cause the rim to state to corrode air start to leak. By using nitrogen out of a bottle from the local welding supply store you are almost guaranteed that the nitrogen is 99.5% dry or better. If you want to run dry air go to your local scuba store and fill up your tires with their air.
Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Twister Orange GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The only bennifit to nitrogen is it's dry and will slow/inhibbit corrosion. Unless you're doing take offs and landings at 150+mph or running split rims it's pure gimmick. Saying 'it's inert properties are why' makes about as much sense as saying air is flammable, most aviation specific rims are two part/split and it keeps the hardware from failing due to corrosion.

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
The only bennifit to nitrogen is it's dry and will slow/inhibbit corrosion. Unless you're doing take offs and landings at 150+mph or running split rims it's pure gimmick. Saying 'it's inert properties are why' makes about as much sense as saying air is flammable, most aviation specific rims are two part/split and it keeps the hardware from failing due to corrosion.
Sweet, I love a good gimmick!! Should I go for helium in the tires instead? Would that help me float around the track?

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Absolutely ! But won't wont help you be more than just a pilot.

Sponsored

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
According to Webster: Pilot - one who can do nothing more than follow a checklist; and break shit.

Last edited:

Threebanger

I am legend.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bray
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Spot on Bevin!

OP
OP
pilotgore

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
I can now say with a reasonable amount of certainty that nitrogen made ZERO difference whatsoever in my tire pressures. At least now I know....

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Has anyone run nitrogen in their tires on track, and if so what kind of pressure variation have you experienced hot vs cold? I’ve read a few places where people mention a 2 psi hot temp increase with nitrogen vs 8 psi with standard compressed air.
I believe the difference will vary due to other factors that may or may not apply to you at any given time. What causes the different pressures changes between hot and cold for air and nitrogen (or any other "dry" gas) is water in the air that vaporizes as it heats up. Put air that has very low humidity in and it should act almost the same as nitrogen.

The main reasons pro racers use nitrogen (or other "dry" gasses) is (1) to be able to know what the pressure will be when full temp is reached, and (2) to be able to start a race closer to that optimal pressure than would be possible with moisture in the gas.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.