Nissan's "new" Z/Z400

MD_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Premium w/ Performance Package
The 400z is going to be a potent package. The 3.0 in the RS and 'silver sport' love mods and the 300hp version of the silver sport is capable of 400+whp; same as the RedSport. The Redsport has sensors on the turbos and additional cooling which no doubt makes tuning and multiple pulls more efficient but a silver sport can still give you a few good passes before needing a break.

If Nissan applies the new 9-speed that would be a big plus but the 7AT in the 3.0 Q is no slouch in terms of handling power. It isn't the same unit as the G37 and 370z; despite having the same JATCO SN. Guys have swapped to the VR's 7speed to their boosted VQs; it has a beefier torque convertor and better clutch packs than the G/370z cars.

The manual in them is also a good unit. Clutch spring upgrades make the driving experience 'cleaner' but they do suffer from a garbage slave cylinder design. Remedies exist but the CSC delete from Z1 is still a $450 (before labor if shop does it) bit of maintenance/prep.

I'm showing the new Z and 3.0 a lot of love but if you throw just as much money towards an FI set-up on an S550 (or bolt-ons + a tune) it's an animal. Coming from a modified and tuned G37, it was a great car and a good time but it never tapped into our emotions the way the S550 does. I'm absolutely in love with it but the fact my wife loves the ride and chatting with people about it and my daughter can both giggle like a maniac on a 2-3 pull and fall asleep to the V8's rumble is something special.

Family members drool over the Mustang when I bring it out, want to go on rides, drive it (not only no but hell no to that request); the poor G never got a second look and definitely didn't capture people the way the Mustang does.
Sponsored

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
I wouldn’t be mad if they made a sub $30k turbo 4 version

Exodus5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
I owned a 2011 370z Touring from new. I’ll never own another. It handled well. That is the only thing it had going for it and that was back before Mustangs had IRS, so I’m not sure how much better it would be than a good Mustang.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I owned a 2011 370z Touring from new. I’ll never own another. It handled well. That is the only thing it had going for it and that was back before Mustangs had IRS, so I’m not sure how much better it would be than a good Mustang.
Really will come down to weight. If its right to assume Nissan is targeting the Supra then that's about what you can expect.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
The more I research it, it sounds like it is going to be pretty darn good. The only drawbacks I see at this point is the wait as I want a new car now and the fact there may be some ADM's at first so I would have to most likely wait a few months after release to get one around MSRP or lower. The other is the sound as I love the V8 rumble. The Supra does sound good for a six, but it is an I6 and I couldn't find any sound clips that sound very good with the V6 in the Infinity red sport. Hopefully they will do some kind of tuning or different exhaust for the Z so it will sound decent.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It rarely gets that cold here. What I mean is I like to start my car for a few minutes before I get in it to warm it up in the winter and to cool it down a little in the summer. I actually always use it as I hear its not good to just jump in your car and take off if its cold and to get the fluids moving.
What "they" say is that it's best to start your car and then drive off gently to warm it up. It's not good for a car to sit and warm up at idle.

But is sure is nice to get into a comfortable car. I'm sure remote start is great from that standpoint.

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
The more I research it, it sounds like it is going to be pretty darn good. The only drawbacks I see at this point is the wait as I want a new car now and the fact there may be some ADM's at first so I would have to most likely wait a few months after release to get one around MSRP or lower. The other is the sound as I love the V8 rumble. The Supra does sound good for a six, but it is an I6 and I couldn't find any sound clips that sound very good with the V6 in the Infinity red sport. Hopefully they will do some kind of tuning or different exhaust for the Z so it will sound decent.
I’ve always thought Nissan’s v6 in the Z and Infiniti coupes sounded pretty good. Some of the better sounding 6 cylinders IMO

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
I’ve always thought Nissan’s v6 in the Z and Infiniti coupes sounded pretty good. Some of the better sounding 6 cylinders IMO
This is true of the NA v6's the VR30DETT is not really a great sounding engine, even with an after market exhaust.

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
This is true of the NA v6's the VR30DETT is not really a great sounding engine, even with an after market exhaust.
Eh, It could be worse... I agree the NA 6’s do sound much better tho.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
While I wish they would have taken a few more cues from the 240Z (best of the Zs), I have to say that I really like the 400Z. I liked the 350/370 well enough (I considered one when I ordered my current Mustang), but the styling wasn't there. Now it is, and I like it a lot.

If it's priced as indicated, it should do well. Should be a decent performer too.

More poop here: https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-nissan-400z-sports-car-leaked-photos/

JuicySmollet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Juicy
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 (M2440)
I'm absolutely in love with it but the fact my wife loves the ride and chatting with people about it and my daughter can both giggle like a maniac on a 2-3 pull and fall asleep to the V8's rumble is something special.
I remember falling asleep in my dad's 454SS truck back in 91/92....nothing like that roar of a V8

Reactions: MD_

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
they should have styled it heavily like the 240Z IMO.

I wish the Mustang would lose the back seat - it serves no purpose unless you have passengers less than 12yrs old. Chop a foot+ out of the wheelbase and make an actual sports car out of the Mustang. THe 202X SUV shaped to look like a coup can have 2.5 doors and a back seat. Or just kiss off the people with small kids since for everything there is a CUV/SUV for your needs, such that sports cars become universally 2-seaters.

It's time to pick, fish or fowl, not this middle ground of neither and doing both roles poorly.
2+2=Mustang

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
The new Z or Subaru BRZ are the only two cars I would even consider if my Mustang was totaled.