Nissan's "new" Z/Z400

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
they should have styled it heavily like the 240Z IMO.

I wish the Mustang would lose the back seat - it serves no purpose unless you have passengers less than 12yrs old. Chop a foot+ out of the wheelbase and make an actual sports car out of the Mustang. THe 202X SUV shaped to look like a coup can have 2.5 doors and a back seat. Or just kiss off the people with small kids since for everything there is a CUV/SUV for your needs, such that sports cars become universally 2-seaters.

It's time to pick, fish or fowl, not this middle ground of neither and doing both rolls poorly.
Please no. I could not have afforded the Mustang if it was like that.

I think the complains about the back seat are perhaps a bit exaggerated, though americans have a reputation around the world for being "big". Track day a month ago, a guy from my area had the clutch on his dedicated track car blow. Both he and his friend traveled the 200+ km (130+ miles) to the track in the track car. Both he and his friend hitched a ride back with me. The friend in the back said it wasn't the most comfortable seat he's had, but said it was "ok".

What I'd love was for the rear seats to be lower/thinner/whatever, so people a little taller can fit. Not fitting under the low rear ceiling is the main problem. An inch more head room in the back, people two inches taller can fit.

Think the friend, which is not on the slim side btw, a bit "american" looking one can perhaps say even, was about 170 cm , which is between 5"5 and 5"6. I had to insist he do a test fit before I agreed to them hitching a ride back with me, as I know 5"7 does not fit.
Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10

I wish the Mustang would lose the back seat - it serves no purpose unless you have passengers less than 12yrs old. Chop a foot+ out of the wheelbase and make an actual sports car out of the Mustang. THe 202X SUV shaped to look like a coup can have 2.5 doors and a back seat. Or just kiss off the people with small kids since for everything there is a CUV/SUV for your needs, such that sports cars become universally 2-seaters.

It's time to pick, fish or fowl, not this middle ground of neither and doing both roles poorly.
I was once the DD for me and two other grown men. The guy that lost the rock paper scissors and was stuffed in the back is 5'10" and 200 lbs. He fit for a short drive, but due to the lack of head room had to cock his head sideways. Doable for a 10 min drive, not so much long drives. That said, I'm glad the Mustangs and Camaros still have back seats, since they can be used for adults in a pinch, and kids easily.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

It's time to pick, fish or fowl, not this middle ground of neither and doing both roles poorly.
I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the rear seat, but I much prefer to have some of that room to recline my front seat into. The way I normally have my front seat set up, 1 finger can fit between the seat back and the rear seat.

And I don't mind the rear seat for a couple other reasons. It's a convenient package shelf without having to go into the trunk. And in a pinch I can push my seat way forward (or the front seat passenger can) and get three or four into the car. I think that functionality is nice, even though I rarely use it.

Please no. I could not have afforded the Mustang if it was like that.

I think the complains about the back seat are perhaps a bit exaggerated, though americans have a reputation around the world for being "big". Track day a month ago, a guy from my area had the clutch on his dedicated track car blow. Both he and his friend traveled the 200+ km (130+ miles) to the track in the track car. Both he and his friend hitched a ride back with me. The friend in the back said it wasn't the most comfortable seat he's had, but said it was "ok".

What I'd love was for the rear seats to be lower/thinner/whatever, so people a little taller can fit. Not fitting under the low rear ceiling is the main problem. An inch more head room in the back, people two inches taller can fit.

Think the friend, which is not on the slim side btw, a bit "american" looking one can perhaps say even, was about 170 cm , which is between 5"5 and 5"6. I had to insist he do a test fit before I agreed to them hitching a ride back with me, as I know 5"7 does not fit.
Why if the car got smaller do you think it would be more expensive? It should be cheaper with no rear seats.

I think having the rear seats shorter front to back would be nice, but I don't want the Mustang to turn into an awkward and ugly "shooting brake" car design. The roofline is fine. At 6'4" I fit back there fine as long as the ride isn't too long - and I'm not a tiny little European "man".

I was once the DD for me and two other grown men. The guy that lost the rock paper scissors and was stuffed in the back is 5'10" and 200 lbs. He fit for a short drive, but due to the lack of head room had to cock his head sideways. Doable for a 10 min drive, not so much long drives. That said, I'm glad the Mustangs and Camaros still have back seats, since they can be used for adults in a pinch, and kids easily.
I agree.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
I love it and the performance is going to be impressive with the hp and weight. Wouldn’t own one but from what I’ve read it’s going to be killer.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Kind of reminds me of a Scion stylistically

Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
The reason our S550 are so good is due to competition. We got the IRS because the GM Zeta platform got it first.

I hope the Z is successful if only to keep Ford on it’s toes.

Now someone will say Z shoppers don’t buy Mustangs.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I for one don't really care what brand or type of car, ect. as I am cross-shopping the Mustang, Challenger and Z at the moment. I have even considered the RS3, but a bit too pricey IMO.

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I wouldn't mind if they got rid of the rear seat, but I much prefer to have some of that room to recline my front seat into. The way I normally have my front seat set up, 1 finger can fit between the seat back and the rear seat.
That seems awfully far away. A driver's course I took last year recommended something similar to what I see in this video: https://www.motor1.com/news/314175/jaguar-perfect-driving-position-video/

That meant I had to move the seat forward a bit compared to what I had before, but now that I've gotten used to it, I much prefer it, apart from it being a bit more difficult to get in. Feel it gives me better control of the wheel.

Why if the car got smaller do you think it would be more expensive? It should be cheaper with no rear seats.
Yeah, but it could no longer be the only car if you have kids.

The roofline is fine. At 6'4" I fit back there fine as long as the ride isn't too long - and I'm not a tiny little European "man".
Pics or it didn't happen. ;-)

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That seems awfully far away. A driver's course I took last year recommended something similar to what I see in this video: https://www.motor1.com/news/314175/jaguar-perfect-driving-position-video/

That meant I had to move the seat forward a bit compared to what I had before, but now that I've gotten used to it, I much prefer it, apart from it being a bit more difficult to get in. Feel it gives me better control of the wheel.
That's a great video and I agree with it in theory. And while in theory theory and practice are the same, in practice they aren't. I can't achieve Jaguar's recommended seating position in a Mustang. The steering wheel doesn't telescope out far enough to allow me to straighten my legs. And sitting completely upright isn't comfortable either. So yes in ordinary driving I prioritize comfort over car control.

When I'm driving on track I sit much closer to the wheel and much more upright. And I have no choice because I can't recline my seat with the roll bar installed. I don't feel I need that degree of car control during normal street driving.

Yeah, but it could no longer be the only car if you have kids.
That's true. My assumption was the Mustang typically is a second or third car for a family. Most families have at least two cars if not more.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yeah, I just joined 400z club yesterday and already read about the leaked info. I think its now between this car and a 1320 for me, but not sure I want to wait until the beginning of next year for one. We still don't know when it will actually hit the lots though. It is only supposed to weigh about 3300 pounds or so and those turbo engines are easy to upgrade. But not sure about the trans. I know I want an auto, but right now they have a 7 speed, but may be going to a new 9 speed. I guess I just need to decide if I want more of a straight line muscle car with that glorious V8 sound or more of a sports car that is light on its feet and better around the corners.
If they stick with the auto that's in the Q50/60 you're going to have to do a full LV10 build on it. It's a dog even in it more recently revised version. It's fine for a daily, but for a sports car it SUCKS.

Sponsored

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang

I wish the Mustang would lose the back seat - it serves no purpose unless you have passengers less than 12yrs old. Chop a foot+ out of the wheelbase and make an actual sports car out of the Mustang. The 202X SUV shaped to look like a coup can have 2.5 doors and a back seat. Or just kiss off the people with small kids since for everything there is a CUV/SUV for your needs, such that sports cars become universally 2-seaters.

There is rumor of a new 180SX/200SX sized car using a performance version of the 2.0T in the Altima with variable compression using the Altima platform as that allows AWD. If weight can be dropped it could be a good 86/BRZ fighter, and it would be cool to have a car that size with an AWD option. I don't think ANYONE has that.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If they stick with the auto that's in the Q50/60 you're going to have to do a full LV10 build on it. It's a dog even in it more recently revised version. It's fine for a daily, but for a sports car it SUCKS.
Yeah, I heard that 7 speed isn't very good. It sounds like they are going with the new Mercedes 9 speed though, which should be decent upgrade. Although the 8 speed in the Challenger is one of the best. IDK, the more I think about it, if I end up waiting to check out the Z, I may entertain the idea about going with the manual trans. It kind of depends on how much slower they turn out to be compared to the auto and how hard it would be to add a remote start (which is the main reason I want the auto).

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Yeah, I heard that 7 speed isn't very good. It sounds like they are going with the new Mercedes 9 speed though, which should be decent upgrade. Although the 8 speed in the Challenger is one of the best. IDK, the more I think about it, if I end up waiting to check out the Z, I may entertain the idea about going with the manual trans. It kind of depends on how much slower they turn out to be compared to the auto and how hard it would be to add a remote start (which is the main reason I want the auto).
If I remember the 8spd in the Challenger is a ZF from 2008. With Nissan having a deal with MB previously for engines I would not be amazed if they have one for transmissions.

OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
nd how hard it would be to add a remote start (which is the main reason I want the auto).
isn't that what engine block heaters are for?

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It rarely gets that cold here. What I mean is I like to start my car for a few minutes before I get in it to warm it up in the winter and to cool it down a little in the summer. I actually always use it as I hear its not good to just jump in your car and take off if its cold and to get the fluids moving.
Sponsored