Sponsored

Nissan's "new" Z/Z400

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
funny, you dont really realize how big the s550 is until you see some older mustangs. i feel like Ford did a great job mimicking the 1st gen mustangs, but then you stand next to a 65,66,67 etc or better yet, see one right next to an s550 and you can really tell the difference. it's not too big for me, i like them, but what's "too big" is subjective i guess.

ive always like the Z cars, one of the few imports i actually like, provided they are not too riced out. seems to me that there are more quality non-riced Zs than some other import cars. this new one looks a little more reminiscent of the older ones, 240 and 280 and what not, when they were still Datsun and not Nissan yet. the grill mostly i guess. id never convert to it but i cannot say that i dislike these either.
I think its more that its wider. the wheel base is the same, give or take 1 inch to the 1964, and its only about 7in longer, and 3 taller, but its almost 8in wider. The car feels bigger even compared to my 2003 Mach1.
Sponsored

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1
My S550 sits next to my '67 Cougar in my shop and looks gargantuan in comparison. I wouldn't call it "too big", but any bigger would be dumb.

The thing I like about the new Z is the nod to the early cars in terms of looks.

love the cougars, was at a car show this past weekend and someone had a pristine black 67 XR7. and X2 on the nod to the early cars.

I think its more that its wider. the wheel base is the same, give or take 1 inch to the 1964, and its only about 7in longer, but its 8in wider. The car feels bigger even compared to my 2003 Mach1.
yea, agreed. i have a 95 which probably looks/feels slightly smaller than the new edge mustangs due to the more rounded pre-new edge body panels, and it looks and feels smaller than the S550. the engine bay looks small compared to the S550, even with it being empty/having no engine in its current state.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
The Z is a Stang killer.
Agreed. AMS performance is already talking about 1000hp goals for the car. I know anything like that is going to take a lot of money, bigger turbos, ect. But for a more modest 500hp or so for the street shouldn't cost too much or be a lot of work. The more I look at the production version, I'm really digging it and think I could live with the front end. I probably should have waited and not put that deposit down on the 1320. Oh well, too late now as I don't think there is any way to get it back and the car should be arriving any time now. The 20k in trade equity will really help though and they tend to hold their value well so In case I don't love it I could always trade it in for the new Z in a year or so if they end up being as good as expected. I'm still wondering if they can do anything to improve the exhaust sound and the trans quality and top end are still up for debate.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
Agreed. AMS performance is already talking about 1000hp goals for the car. I know anything like that is going to take a lot of money, bigger turbos, ect. But for a more modest 500hp or so for the street shouldn't cost too much or be a lot of work. The more I look at the production version, I'm really digging it and think I could live with the front end. I probably should have waited and not put that deposit down on the 1320. Oh well, too late now as I don't think there is any way to get it back and the car should be arriving any time now. The 20k in trade equity will really help though and they tend to hold their value well so In case I don't love it I could always trade it in for the new Z in a year or so if they end up being as good as expected. I'm still wondering if they can do anything to improve the exhaust sound and the trans quality and top end are still up for debate.
They already have 5 upgrade stages based on the engine, and their Q60 is probably close to 1000 if not already there. They make the Infiniti/NISMO intakes and heat exchanger.

Buddy used to have a fully built Q60 by AMS and R/T Tuning. Recently traded it and his daily (Stinger GT) for a Porshe though.

Sponsored

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
I got made fun of on this forum for suggesting the new Z will be faster.

I gotta find those guys so they can eat their words.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
funny, you dont really realize how big the s550 is until you see some older mustangs. i feel like Ford did a great job mimicking the 1st gen mustangs, but then you stand next to a 65,66,67 etc or better yet, see one right next to an s550 and you can really tell the difference. it's not too big for me, i like them, but what's "too big" is subjective i guess.

ive always like the Z cars, one of the few imports i actually like, provided they are not too riced out. seems to me that there are more quality non-riced Zs than some other import cars. this new one looks a little more reminiscent of the older ones, 240 and 280 and what not, when they were still Datsun and not Nissan yet. the grill mostly i guess. id never convert to it but i cannot say that i dislike these either.
You will also realize how big the Mustang is if you own something like my Fiesta, or my 944. Something that weighs 700 or more pounds less than the S550.

Obviously I like Mustangs, because I own one. And I probably won't buy a Z. But sometimes it's fun to complain.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
The Mustang doesn't feel that big to me and now I'm going to an even bigger car in the Scat Pack. I was about to go buy some good used winter wheels and tires for it this weekend, but getting a lot of grief over on one of the Challenger forums about planning on driving it year round instead of getting a winter beater. I don't see what the big deal is as I've been driving RWD coupes for the past dozen years or so without too much trouble as long as I switch the wheels out in time and I didn't even have a garage. Now I do and realize the 1320 cost a little more than the rest (Genesis Coupes and Mustang GT's), but still its no vette or hellcat. Plus now is not the time to buy a low priced beater as I would want something dependable with good tires at least and I don't think I will be able to find one in the 1-2k range at the moment and if I did I would have to get insurance for it and take up 1/2 the space in the garage, ect.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
35-45k , meh.
If there ever was a car that would kill if they made a retro car of it is the Z car. A retro copy of the 70's car would give the mx5 a run for it's money.
NISSAN's problem is they forgot how to K.I.S.S.

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
35-45k , meh.
If there ever was a car that would kill if they made a retro car of it is the Z car. A retro copy of the 70's car would give the mx5 a run for it's money.
NISSAN's problem is they forgot how to K.I.S.S.
Nissans other big problem is that NISMO has been just a name with 0 weight behind it since the R34 Skyline and (number)SX went out of production.

Sponsored

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Nissans other big problem is that NISMO has been just a name with 0 weight behind it since the R34 Skyline and (number)SX went out of production.
What do you mean ? There’s a lady in our street that rolls past in a Nismo Juke everyday … :bandit:

WD :like:

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
What do you mean ? There’s a lady in our street that rolls past in a Nismo Juke everyday … :bandit:

WD :like:
Sadly that engine should have gone into the Sentra NISMO. Also, its disappointing it wasn't given an LSD like every Sentra performance model has had since the 90's. It had potential to be a real Civic Si fighter, instead of just being a normal Sentra with suspension and kit.

Shadow277

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT 2012 Corolla
You will also realize how big the Mustang is if you own something like my Fiesta, or my 944. Something that weighs 700 or more pounds less than the S550.

Obviously I like Mustangs, because I own one. And I probably won't buy a Z. But sometimes it's fun to complain.
I can't afford a Porsche or Corvette so a new Z is the best I can do. Or Mach 1 but my family is growing so a used GT is the best I can do while letting my family live comfortably.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can't afford a Porsche or Corvette so a new Z is the best I can do. Or Mach 1 but my family is growing so a used GT is the best I can do while letting my family live comfortably.
You can definitely afford a 944, they are super cheap. But the nice turbo cars can be expensive - I'll give you that. I think in the long run a 944 might be a better choice dollars wise than a Mustang. I think they have pretty much bottomed out in price.

331GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dennis
Vehicle(s)
1995 DFG GT vert, 2019 Oxford White GT PP1

my friend had two different 944s, a regular and then a turbo. fun cars! wasnt my cup of tea but i could see why he liked driving them so much, definitely enjoyable. his turbo was modified, i remember a ton of lag but once the boost came on, you felt it. definitely put a smile on your face. and definitely hear you on the size difference. drove a different friend's 350z back during high school, and it was really a fun car, the sporty feeling compared to the mustangs (SN95s back then) was a nice change.
Sponsored