Sponsored

Nissan's "new" Z/Z400

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
https://www.motortrend.com/news/2022-nissan-z-car-400z-details-leaked/

$35k or 40k with "sport" package? Puts pressure on the Mustang valuation I think. I hope it's more than just a warmed over 370 but given how cash-strapped ol' N is, that's probably expecting too much. My friend blew 3 engines and one clutch, all replaced under warranty. I drove it a few times and it was entertaining enough I guess but it is close-fitting like the Camaro and the clutch pedal action reminded me of <2008 Mustangs.
Sponsored

shinoda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost HPP
First impression is... that is one hellaciously ugly car.

Chadillac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
'96 Mustang GT, '73 El Camino, '12 Mazdaspeed3
I actually think it looks cool. Price will make or break it tho...

Schwerin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang
The engine in this, assuming it's even unchanged from the 2018 Q50/60 RedSport version, dynos about 375WHP and 400WTQ when matched with 9yr old auto design and AWD drive train. Strong for an engine rated with only 400/350crank. A simple 93oct tune gets them up to 400whp/450wtq.

The bottom end isn't as strong as the 5.0's is but turbo upgrade already exist, and people are making over 600awhp already with the engine, so it's well tested by aftermarket tuners already.

Matching that engine to a well geared 6spd manual will have it AT LEAST on par with a GT, not accounting for weight (Current Z is about 500lbs less than the S550). This is more of a Supra fighter though.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
Yeah, I just joined 400z club yesterday and already read about the leaked info. I think its now between this car and a 1320 for me, but not sure I want to wait until the beginning of next year for one. We still don't know when it will actually hit the lots though. It is only supposed to weigh about 3300 pounds or so and those turbo engines are easy to upgrade. But not sure about the trans. I know I want an auto, but right now they have a 7 speed, but may be going to a new 9 speed. I guess I just need to decide if I want more of a straight line muscle car with that glorious V8 sound or more of a sports car that is light on its feet and better around the corners.

XS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
I'm anxious to see one in person. I hope it will look better. The 350 is fat looking and the 370 is positively obese looking, imo. This is a much sleeker design. If it looks great in person I'd consider buying one.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The current 370Z seems to weigh close to 3,400 lbs whereas the Mustang GT is close to 3,700. I very much doubt that the new 400Z will be lighter than the 370Z. Most likely they'll have to increase the weight and it'll be at least 3,500 lbs and maybe even close to Infinity's Q60 3.0t 3,700 lbs.

Now if they can keep the price down below $35k I think they'll be very competitive especially since the turbo engine would most likely be fairly torquey at lower rpms compared to the Coyote.

The deal-breaker for me is the lack of two extra seats and the fact that it's not an American V8, but I can see why some would be interested.

blind*guardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Also looks like the Infinity Q60 3.0t hits 60 in 5.4 seconds or so per MT data, so would a 400Z be that much quicker with the same engine? Probably not, so it'll most likely be quite a bit slower than a Mustang in a straight line. Would be good to see a comparison though.

Sponsored

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its supposed to be 35k base and 45k fully loaded. Weight is expected to be 3252 "dry weight" and they are reportedly using more aluminum and carbon fiber to help keep it from gaining much if any. For me the lack of back seats doesn't matter as I'm single. IDK though, seems almost too good to be true as far as pricing and/or specs.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also looks like the Infinity Q60 3.0t hits 60 in 5.4 seconds or so per MT data, so would a 400Z be that much quicker with the same engine? Probably not, so it'll most likely be quite a bit slower than a Mustang in a straight line. Would be good to see a comparison though.
That is for the 300hp engine. The red sport reportedly hits it in 4.5 seconds and it weighs 3863 pounds. The Z should be a good 500 pounds lighter with a better transmission and I wouldn't be surprised if they massaged the tuning bit also. I'm expecting times in the high 3's or very comparable to the new Supra.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I like the size of it. Mustangs are a little big IMO. It's ugly but if it's a good performance value it's still interesting. At least it will have a manual transmission available. But no V8 is a bit of a deal killer for me unless it's really light weight.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I don’t think it looks that bad. I hate the 370 or whatever styling looks like a watermelon

OP
OP
shogun32

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
they should have styled it heavily like the 240Z IMO.

I wish the Mustang would lose the back seat - it serves no purpose unless you have passengers less than 12yrs old. Chop a foot+ out of the wheelbase and make an actual sports car out of the Mustang. THe 202X SUV shaped to look like a coup can have 2.5 doors and a back seat. Or just kiss off the people with small kids since for everything there is a CUV/SUV for your needs, such that sports cars become universally 2-seaters.

It's time to pick, fish or fowl, not this middle ground of neither and doing both roles poorly.
Sponsored

Last edited: