Sponsored

Nightmare Paint Issues on New 19 GT Premium

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Hi, late to the party, but I too am in the middle of Ford processing a full re-paint under warranty. Wanted to let you guys know there's yet another mustang out there with horrible paint issues, and I want to keep up on yours to see what happens. Had an ugly sparkle show up all over my car and upon close inspection, I could see off colored things inside my clear coat. After the dealership attempted to fix it under warranty with a clay bar, they found out the problem was well below the clearcoat and likely from the factory. They sent in several photos of this issue.

I've had the car just under a year and it started to show up to the point where I noticed it. I'm not entirely sure what that means to Ford. The manager at the body shop said he thinks it could either be 'rail dust' or sediment not cleaned out between paint sprays at the factory. Either way, it seems to be growing worse like it's eating through the clear. I have the Need for Green color, so it would have been difficult to see these contaminations from the beginning I suppose. I always had my car parked in the shade at home, and kept wax on it all times, so it wasn't because I was neglecting the paint myself.
I'm waiting to hear if Ford approves a re-paint, but if a re-paint of a potential collector car is going to hurt my value, I don't know what I'll do.
IMG_20191009_132620_756.jpg
I could be totally wrong - but isn’t the Need For Green paint a metallic 3-stage paint (much like Ruby Red, Magnetic, etc) - and metallic flake is normal?
Sponsored

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
Hi, late to the party, but I too am in the middle of Ford processing a full re-paint under warranty. Wanted to let you guys know there's yet another mustang out there with horrible paint issues, and I want to keep up on yours to see what happens. Had an ugly sparkle show up all over my car and upon close inspection, I could see off colored things inside my clear coat. After the dealership attempted to fix it under warranty with a clay bar, they found out the problem was well below the clearcoat and likely from the factory. They sent in several photos of this issue.

I've had the car just under a year and it started to show up to the point where I noticed it. I'm not entirely sure what that means to Ford. The manager at the body shop said he thinks it could either be 'rail dust' or sediment not cleaned out between paint sprays at the factory. Either way, it seems to be growing worse like it's eating through the clear. I have the Need for Green color, so it would have been difficult to see these contaminations from the beginning I suppose. I always had my car parked in the shade at home, and kept wax on it all times, so it wasn't because I was neglecting the paint myself.
I'm waiting to hear if Ford approves a re-paint, but if a re-paint of a potential collector car is going to hurt my value, I don't know what I'll do.
IMG_20191009_132620_756.jpg
Please keep us updated as I will do the same

greenmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
I could be totally wrong - but isn’t the Need For Green paint a metallic 3-stage paint (much like Ruby Red, Magnetic, etc) - and metallic flake is normal?
I think it's supposed to be flat; the body shop manager said it shouldn't have it when he saw it. I wondered about the possible metallic at first, but it's very uneven across the whole car. Some spots have almost no glitter, and some parts of the car shimmers like crazy. It's very ugly from a distance because it almost looks like water spots or spray wax that didn't get wiped off; it's hard to describe.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT Premium Magnetic Metallic PP1 Magneride 401A manual Roush stage 2
UPDATE
Just got a call from Ford they are going to paint the whole car said they will need it 3 to 4 weeks to do it. Said they will pull apart everything like bumpers hood trunk ect paint them then removed the mirrors door handles badges ect and paint rest of car then put it back together again

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
UPDATE
Just got a call from Ford they are going to paint the whole car said they will need it 3 to 4 weeks to do it. Said they will pull apart everything like bumpers hood trunk ect paint them then removed the mirrors door handles badges ect and paint rest of car then put it back together again
This sounds just like what geep81 went through recently. Ford was going to repaint the whole car, but after they got the updated body shop quote, they decided to buy the car back. Disassembling and reassembling the whole car is insanely time consuming and expensive. Try to get the regional rep involved. It should make no financial sense for them to repaint the whole car.

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
UPDATE
Yes, now you have to let them take it to the body shop. I can't say it will go same for you as it did for me, but once I took it to the shop Ford heard what it will cost and then wanted to talk to me about a buyback. I didn't get any good news until after I sent it to be painted. They never actually did any work to the car at all.

In my situation, I was still very unhappy at this point and feeling like I was going to get screwed by Ford. It's not over yet though, hopefully.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
What is the funny thing is they said I have to wait until 12/2 to bring it in that's 3 weeks more of waiting. I forgot to add this lol Friday I got my title in the mail so went to go get real tags for it since temp tag is expired. Handed them the title and driver license for them to tell me on the title my name was spelled wrong. I thought she was kidding but oh no she was right!! Got a hold of dealer today they said I can go to courthouse and they will fix it for $15 to just take all my paperwork in.
So hopefully tomorrow I will have a new title so I can get tags for it

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Yes, now you have to let them take it to the body shop. I can't say it will go same for you as it did for me, but once I took it to the shop Ford heard what it will cost and then wanted to talk to me about a buyback. I didn't get any good news until after I sent it to be painted. They never actually did any work to the car at all.

In my situation, I was still very unhappy at this point and feeling like I was going to get screwed by Ford. It's not over yet though, hopefully.
When they bought yours back you said they didn't charge you for mileage did they pay you back taxes you paid as well?

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Veterans Day getting snow in ohio
image.jpg

greenmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
What is the funny thing is they said I have to wait until 12/2 to bring it in that's 3 weeks more of waiting. I forgot to add this lol Friday I got my title in the mail so went to go get real tags for it since temp tag is expired. Handed them the title and driver license for them to tell me on the title my name was spelled wrong. I thought she was kidding but oh no she was right!! Got a hold of dealer today they said I can go to courthouse and they will fix it for $15 to just take all my paperwork in.
So hopefully tomorrow I will have a new title so I can get tags for it
I just got a similar reply from my local Ford. They said full repaint, taking it apart and all. He wrote up the quote and sent it in last night supposedly. But he said to wait 5-7 business days before they would set up for me to bring it in and get a rental. Maybe the wait has something to do with processing the warranty cost through Ford? I have no clue.

Sponsored

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Yea it took a week after 2nd set of photos to get it approved from Ford to do it. Then they said it would be 3 weeks to be able to get it in to there body shop
So 12/2 I will be dropping it off and will find out from there lol but will give updates

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
When they bought yours back you said they didn't charge you for mileage did they pay you back taxes you paid as well?
Yes, I didn't have to pay anything additional to do the swap and they made it so my loan was exactly the same on the new car as I had left on the old car.

I did get an additional option that I had to pay for.

Decanes

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
UPDATE
Dropped car off to Ford yesterday and will let you know what happens

greenmachine

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium
UPDATE
Dropped car off to Ford yesterday and will let you know what happens
Hopefully all goes well. Ford supposedly approved the 8k + job for mine and I'm dropping it off the first of January. Will also let you know if anything odd happens

OP
OP
MustangPonyGT

MustangPonyGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Sorry for the lack of response here. I have spent the last few months fighting Ford on this and haven't had any luck. The dealership really screwed me over and I will never shop there again.

The dealership claimed to Ford on the full repaint request that it was customer damage which is ridiculous as I mentioned since the issues are under the base coat. I escalated it to Ford multiple times and got nowhere. They acknowledged that there are paint issues, but are not honoring the paint warranty because of that paperwork that was filed. Basically pulling a technicality and claiming voided warranty.

As I mentioned originally, there is nothing that I did to the paint. There are no scratches, fading, dents, dings, rock chips or anything. I'm the kind of person who parks as far away as possible and is extremely anal with car care. It's been garaged most of the time I've had it and has less than a thousand miles after 6 months of ownership. I've explained this over and over and even visually showed it to the dealership and the Ford rep, but every time it gets reviewed Ford keeps referencing that dealership's statement that this is the customer's fault so they are washing their hands.

In the time since I posted I've gone through about every emotion from frustration to anger to sadness but have ended on acceptance and that I need to be smarter about when and where I shop. The dealership took advantage of me, but they also have a truckload of negative customer reviews recently with similar stories and I should have paid attention. I also shopped at night, no explanation needed on this being stupid.

I'm living with it for now. I spoke with someone on the legal side and they warned me that it would be a tough battle that might take a year or more and I don't have the time or flexibility to continue to fight this for that long. I'm going to see how the car fares for the next year or so and if it doesn't end up in some accident or with some major issue I'll consider getting it wrapped or painted.
Sponsored