Sponsored

Nguage Tuner Issue, why wont it show me the alcohol learned?

msalvoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt PP
I recently got a lund flex fuel tune for my 2017 gt. I use the n guage. I can see the alcohol percentage but I can not find out how to see the alcohol learned that goes from 0 to 1 when it is learned... I updated my n guage tuner, and I defintley looked through all the options and its not there... Can anyone help? I see everyone showing videos online with the alcohol learned on their n guage but i can't figure out how to get it on there.
Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Not sure how long you gave it, but it takes a little while to learn the content. I just switched from my E85R tune to Flex yesterday and in addition to 10 minutes of idling, I still had to drive approximately 25 miles before it learned and locked onto the content.

Have a look at this video.

OP
OP
msalvoni

msalvoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt PP
Not sure how long you gave it, but it takes a little while to learn the content. I just switched from my E85R tune to Flex yesterday and in addition to 10 minutes of idling, I still had to drive approximately 25 miles before it learned and locked onto the content.
my problem is simply that my n guage is not offering me the learned flag... I just wish I could see when it is learned...

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
my problem is simply that my n guage is not offering me the learned flag... I just wish I could see when it is learned...
Do you have current firmware? I had to update mine. My pids show for 2011+ Ford Vehicles. Here is what mine looks like.
167F3792-2D1A-450C-8022-90B55E6765F6.jpeg

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
One other thing I forgot to mention is, alcohol content resets when you put 4 gallons of fuel in the tank. Lund set it up that way. Not sure if that could have something to do with yours failing to learn/lock.

Sponsored

OP
OP
msalvoni

msalvoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt PP
One other thing I forgot to mention is, alcohol content resets when you put 4 gallons of fuel in the tank. Lund set it up that way. Not sure if that could have something to do with yours failing to learn/lock.
thank you for trying to help. Yes I updated the firmware today. Still have no clue how to get the Alch_learn flag on the tuner...It simply does not exist in my options... I emailed lund and asked them If they knew why, but anyways I appreciate you trying to help. Today was my first day running straight e85 tune and it was Great, at least my motor didint blow up. I dont know how much of a difference I felt between the flex and e85 tune. (defintely felt a difference with the flex tune from 91 tune). I am still stoked that everything went well.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
thank you for trying to help. Yes I updated the firmware today. Still have no clue how to get the Alch_learn flag on the tuner...It simply does not exist in my options... I emailed lund and asked them If they knew why, but anyways I appreciate you trying to help. Today was my first day running straight e85 tune and it was Great, at least my motor didint blow up. I dont know how much of a difference I felt between the flex and e85 tune. (defintely felt a difference with the flex tune from 91 tune). I am still stoked that everything went well.
NP. If You donā€™t have one already, I would recommend at least getting an E85 fuel tester tube and measure your ethanol content that way. I just carry a small container with me to the gas station and pump a little E85 into it to use for testing. I then fill up my gas tank, pull to the side to and perform my actual test with the tester kit while letting the car idle. If I am above 80% I know that Itā€™s safe to switch over to the E85R tune, if not, Iā€™ll stay on the Flex tune. IMO, itā€™s actually the most accurate way to measure ethanol content. Even though I am able to get the learned flag on my nGauge, I still like to test it, to know for certain because even though a gas pump says E85, regulations say that it only has to be between 51-83%. For example, my first tank of E85 showed 65.5% ethanol on my nGauge, but look at what the tester actually showed in this pic (72.5% ethanol). Iā€˜d stay on Flex if I were you until you get the nGauge PIDs sorted out to allow for getting the Alch flag and/or a test kit.

CAB84AD2-085C-4F94-AAF4-B60DEE7D89CD.jpeg

OP
OP
msalvoni

msalvoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt PP
NP. If You donā€™t have one already, I would recommend at least getting an E85 fuel tester tube and measure your ethanol content that way. I just carry a small container with me to the gas station and pump a little E85 into it to use for testing. I then fill up my gas tank, pull to the side to and perform my actual test with the tester kit while letting the car idle. If I am above 80% I know that Itā€™s safe to switch over to the E85R tune, if not, Iā€™ll stay on the Flex tune. IMO, itā€™s actually the most accurate way to measure ethanol content. Even though I am able to get the learned flag on my nGauge, I still like to test it, to know for certain because even though a gas pump says E85, regulations say that it only has to be between 51-83%. For example, my first tank of E85 showed 65.5% ethanol on my nGauge, but look at what the tester actually showed in this pic (72.5% ethanol). Iā€˜d stay on Flex if I were you until you get the nGauge PIDs sorted out to allow for getting the Alch flag and/or a test kit.

CAB84AD2-085C-4F94-AAF4-B60DEE7D89CD.jpeg
Amazing advise. I really appreciate it. I appreciate the help and the input and I probably take this advise and run with it. Where did you buy the test tube from? do you reuse the same on or have several? Thanks again

Sponsored
OP
OP
msalvoni

msalvoni

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mark
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt PP
After you start your ngauge and it boots up. Press exit gauges, then rescan vehicle, and select I believe itā€™s 98 f150 and it will have around 150/200 parameters to choose from.
thank you so much for the help, that is exactly what the lund tuner told me to do as well. I will try this tomorrow.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
A simple way to see if it has learned is on cold start turn on gauges mode and see what the A/F reading is before it starts wandering.

True E85 will be open loop around 9.8

This assuming Lund recalibrates the Ford A/F gauge.