Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Finally pulled the trigger on an nGauge with FF tune from Lund to see what the hoopla is all about. I'm through the initial datalogs and just dumped the flex tune in last night. I've got a little 92 to burn through before I can get some E85 in it.

The major question running through my brain is: Since there's no actual alcohol sensor in the car, how does the nGauge know the percentage of alcohol present? Is it calculated somehow via resistance to knock? I haven't run across an explanation on the board, that I can find anyway.

Beyond that, the tune on 92 is definitely an improvement over stock. And the nGauge itself is pretty damn cool, I wasn't planning to mount it anywhere in the car but it's almost a sin not to...

If there's anything I want or need to know before I run it on E85, let me know. Tips and tricks appreciated.
Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
It uses the fuel trims to "calculate" what the Ethanol % is.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Once you get that first full tank of e in (probably 2nd full up) you will definitely know what the hoopla is about lol. 40ish whp will do that.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Finally pulled the trigger on an nGauge with FF tune from Lund to see what the hoopla is all about. I'm through the initial datalogs and just dumped the flex tune in last night. I've got a little 92 to burn through before I can get some E85 in it.

The major question running through my brain is: Since there's no actual alcohol sensor in the car, how does the nGauge know the percentage of alcohol present? Is it calculated somehow via resistance to knock? I haven't run across an explanation on the board, that I can find anyway.

Beyond that, the tune on 92 is definitely an improvement over stock. And the nGauge itself is pretty damn cool, I wasn't planning to mount it anywhere in the car but it's almost a sin not to...

If there's anything I want or need to know before I run it on E85, let me know. Tips and tricks appreciated.
Great choice on the Nguage, you'll love it. We sell mounts both suction cup and vent mounts for them here at https://www.lethalperformance.com/

Sponsored

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Once you get that first full tank of e in (probably 2nd full up) you will definitely know what the hoopla is about lol. 40ish whp will do that.
Yeah, I can't wait. :rockon:

I didn't realize what a difference just E85 could make until I bought my new F-150 and have been running corn in it. Dramatic difference, and that's an OEM tune. Damn truck made me buy an nGauge, LOL.

Last edited:

Rollin'

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
17 gt pp
Hi Dave, I would recommend getting an alcohol fuel tester. I bought a test tube type on eBay for $13. I like knowing if station “a” has e70 at the pump or if station “b” has e80. I am not using my flex tune until the gas station starts getting the winter blend of e85 Your flex tune will adapt to the fuel you put in. Did you get an e85 tune file and a flex tune file? Cheers

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Hi Dave, I would recommend getting an alcohol fuel tester. I bought a test tube type on eBay for $13. I like knowing if station “a” has e70 at the pump or if station “b” has e80. I am not using my flex tune until the gas station starts getting the winter blend of e85 Your flex tune will adapt to the fuel you put in. Did you get an e85 tune file and a flex tune file? Cheers
Yes, Lund supplies both.

TheTxPilot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 White GT Vert
Also, don't bother on an AC mount. Just wrap the guage a couple times with electric tape and it will squeeze right in and be secure.
20200714_164047.jpg

drjeff

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT premium convertible, Kona Blue, 3.55 gears, active valve exhaust, 401A, safe and smart, B&O, polished aluminum wheels
Also, don't bother on an AC mount. Just wrap the guage a couple times with electric tape and it will squeeze right in and be secure.
20200714_164047.jpg
That looks awesome!

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
Jut make sure you block off the duct behind the vent you mount the NGauge in. Mind had condensation all over the dash when running AC until I stuffed a rag in the duct.

OP
OP
Strokerswild

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I won't be duct mounting mine, as mine is a PP car and I'm not giving up the vent.

I ordered the clip type vent mount for now which will work until I dream up something else. I like the setup in a recent post that's mounted to the driver A-pillar, but I want something even more hidden, to the left of the gauge cluster most likely.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I won't be duct mounting mine, as mine is a PP car and I'm not giving up the vent.

I ordered the clip type vent mount for now which will work until I dream up something else. I like the setup in a recent post that's mounted to the driver A-pillar, but I want something even more hidden, to the left of the gauge cluster most likely.
Personally my tuner stays in my glove box unless I'm loading a tune revision or data logging. But living in the desert no way I would give up an ac vent either, that's valuable real estate in the heat :sun:
Sponsored