Next Mods - Spare Tire, Trunk Mat, Cargo Net, Rock Guards

jabberwoki

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
steve
Vehicle(s)
69 428 CJ Mach 1 , 2020 gt350
Damn it now i need the trunk mat and the cargo net. Looks bloody good.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Update - I've now covered the cardboard. I went by Joann fabric with my better half (easily the most interesting "shop for car parts" trip ever from her perspective!) and spent about $4 on some black fleece. I cut it to size, fabric glued it to the cardboard, cut a slot, and now am less worried about rubbing the paint in the wheel well.

Step 1.jpg

Step 2.jpg

Step 3.jpg

Step 4.jpg

Step 5.jpg

Step 6.jpg

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I see you used my suggestion, to improve on your original idea of using the carboard circle. :like: Works nice, and improves the look, doesn't it?

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I see you used my suggestion, to improve on your original idea of using the carboard circle. :like: Works nice, and improves the look, doesn't it?
Yup, good suggestion! Seems quite good, and I'm always happy to get good suggestions, thanks!

Sponsored

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Finally got around to putting in my spare tire, and my cargo net. Took some work, as I also wanted to get the lug nut wrench and other stuff under the tire's rim. I wrapped all the other items with some microfiber rags to keep snug and from rattling. I also put a 25" breaker bar in the trunk. I have Weathertech sun shade that is rolled up. And the breaker bar, wrapped in a rag, fits snug right in the middle of the roll. And then I put the whole roll into the cargo net. It all fits nice and snug against the back of the trunk.
The only problem is with wheel hold down nut. With the provide spacer, the hold down nut doesn't screw down enough to contact the tire's rim. There's about a 3/8" space between the circular nut and rim. I can either cut down the end of the long bolt attached, or get some thick foam cut in a circle to fit between the rim and the circular nut.
Also, there's the slightest rise to the trunk floor, barely noticeable. But I'll be getting a Lloyds trunk mat soon, and it will cover everything.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
The only problem is with wheel hold down nut. With the provide spacer, the hold down nut doesn't screw down enough to contact the tire's rim. There's about a 3/8" space between the circular nut and rim. I can either cut down the end of the long bolt attached, or get some thick foam cut in a circle to fit between the rim and the circular nut.
Also, there's the slightest rise to the trunk floor, barely noticeable.
That's odd - my hold down contacts and holds down the rim as expected (and I'm using the AA-supplied extension). Got photos?

Regarding the slight rise, perhaps reduce the air pressure in the spare a bit? You can always use the OEM pump to bring it back up if you need to use it.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
I think the bolt stud for the hold down is just a little longer, or it doesn't sit as deep into the plastic hold down. Like I said, a piece of neoprene foam will be sufficient to make contact.
As for the slight rise, it just could be the way the floor cover sits. It is basically thin press board covered with felt. For all I know, it's how it always sat. If you press down, it lies flat. I've only been in the trunk twice since I got it new in December, so maybe never noticed. With the weight of a trunk mat on top, it should lay flat.

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
I have rock guard zl1 addons on my since I purchase the car. It won't stay in place. I replaced 3M tape twice already. Also, small rocks are collecting behind rock guard. I'm not so thrill with them.
Same here lol. Installation was a complete bitch. Congrats on OP for getting it right. I have the same problem lol

What is funny is that for the left side I just winged putting it on. I didn't read the instructions until after I installed it. When I did the opposite side, I did what it said, work from bottom to the top, that fucked it up. The pins didn't fully lock in place and didn't engage, and the top one eventually fell out LOL. The adhesive had already been applied so I didn't want to take it off and re-apply it. T

It is fucked. I went to the store and bought some plastic pins, Idk if they will fit.

I can hear it hit the wheel sometimes as I turn when backing out. Very scary at times because it sounds like I hit something lol. I got a rubber mallet and lightly applied some force, so the pins don't come out but the tape is loose. The pins still aren't aligned but they dont detach like before.

If I could get push pins that are longer that would help. I haven't gone out to work on it because its been cold outside. I thought about buying another set of rock guards to start over on that one side.

I do notice some rocks collecting, but thats only on the messed up side. The other one is fine.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Same here lol. Installation was a complete bitch. Congrats on OP for getting it right. I have the same problem lol

What is funny is that for the left side I just winged putting it on. I didn't read the instructions until after I installed it. When I did the opposite side, I did what it said, work from bottom to the top, that fucked it up. The pins didn't fully lock in place and didn't engage, and the top one eventually fell out LOL. The adhesive had already been applied so I didn't want to take it off and re-apply it. T

It is fucked. I went to the store and bought some plastic pins, Idk if they will fit.

I can hear it hit the wheel sometimes as I turn when backing out. Very scary at times because it sounds like I hit something lol. I got a rubber mallet and lightly applied some force, so the pins don't come out but the tape is loose. The pins still aren't aligned but they dont detach like before.

If I could get push pins that are longer that would help. I haven't gone out to work on it because its been cold outside. I thought about buying another set of rock guards to start over on that one side.

I do notice some rocks collecting, but thats only on the messed up side. The other one is fine.
My installation went without problem. Like you I used rubber mallet to secure plastic pins. The key for a successful installation is to install them during warm temperature, above 65 F and be patient. Good luck with it.

Sponsored

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Where did you guys buy your spare at?
Thanks

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
You may also want to check modernspare.com for a complete spare kit.

VIPR01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71 Gremlin
Great inputs on the Fleece using the cardboard shipping cutouts. Saturday project - building a road trip package for this summer.

55F6DFEF-C5D2-4861-8F5C-A017308499CC.jpeg

B82587E0-98AD-4080-9026-49F61B819DF5.jpeg
Sponsored