Next Mods - Spare Tire, Trunk Mat, Cargo Net, Rock Guards

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
Next batch of early mods done. First was giving the car a bath, chilly weather or not. Feels much better having it clean! Now, some quick and easy upgrades! I got the AA spare tire complete kit and installed. Quite simple. I did not cut the felt from underneath the trunk floor, but instead took one of the cardboard circles used to ship the kit, trimmed it to size, and used that as insulation between the jack and tire well sheetmetal. The spacer (still in shipping foam) with center cap in the middle also fit underneath the spare and was wedged tight enough not to slide around.

AA Spare.jpg

Trunk floor sits nice and flat. Before I trimmed the cardboard, the tire sat on top of it and the trunk floor wouldn't sit flush, so it had to be trimmed to fit inside the wheel diameter.

Trunk Floor.jpg

Now for a nice trunk mat from Lloyd's. Seems like good quality and fit well.

Lloyd's Trunk Mat.jpg

Finally, I added a Ford cargo net so I have someplace for a couple of just-in-case items like a snow brush and the stock inflator. The jumper cables were a bit too big to fit in the net.

Cargo Net.jpg

And finally, with the car clean, time to protect the side splitters - ZL1 rock guards installed.

ZL1 Rock Guard Driver.jpg

ZL1 Rock Guard Passenger.jpg

Got to put a few miles on her this evening as well - almost done with the 1k mile break-in period.

More to come...
Sponsored

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
Next batch of early mods done. First was giving the car a bath, chilly weather or not. Feels much better having it clean! Now, some quick and easy upgrades! I got the AA spare tire complete kit and installed. Quite simple. I did not cut the felt from underneath the trunk floor, but instead took one of the cardboard circles used to ship the kit, trimmed it to size, and used that as insulation between the jack and tire well sheetmetal. The spacer (still in shipping foam) with center cap in the middle also fit underneath the spare and was wedged tight enough not to slide around.

AA Spare.jpg

Trunk floor sits nice and flat. Before I trimmed the cardboard, the tire sat on top of it and the trunk floor wouldn't sit flush, so it had to be trimmed to fit inside the wheel diameter.

Trunk Floor.jpg

Lloyd's Trunk Mat.jpg

Finally, I added a Ford cargo net so I have someplace for a couple of just-in-case items like a snow brush and the stock inflator. The jumper cables were a bit too big to fit in the net.

Cargo Net.jpg

And finally, with the car clean, time to protect the side splitters - ZL1 rock guards installed.

ZL1 Rock Guard Driver.jpg

ZL1 Rock Guard Passenger.jpg

Got to put a few miles on her this evening as well - almost done with the 1k mile break-in period.

More to come...
I have the AA Spare Tire Kit also, but have not figured out how I want to protect
the tire well yet.
Cardboard can be pretty abrasive if it moves or vibrates to any degree. Just
my 2 cents, but you might consider something softer.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I have the AA Spare Tire Kit also, but have not figured out how I want to protect
the tire well yet.
Fair point. I didn't want to cut the felt from the trunk floor, perhaps I'll just pick up some on Amazon or from Michael's or something. My wife would love an excuse to go to Michael's.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I have rock guard zl1 addons on my since I purchase the car. It won't stay in place. I replaced 3M tape twice already. Also, small rocks are collecting behind rock guard. I'm not so thrill with them.

Sponsored

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Spare won't work for me, I put on 20" on , can't run a smaller spare that would fit in the trunk.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
I have rock guard zl1 addons on my since I purchase the car. It won't stay in place. I replaced 3M tape twice already. Also, small rocks are collecting behind rock guard. I'm not so thrill with them.
Did you put the clip on the top? I'll keep an eye and see how mine hold up.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
Spare won't work for me, I put on 20" on , can't run a smaller spare that would fit in the trunk.
Are you running bigger brakes? If no, as long as the spare will go over the brakes it shouldn't matter if the wheel is a different diameter than the others as long as overall tire diameter is close to the same.

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Did you put the clip on the top? I'll keep an eye and see how mine hold up.
Yes, clip is on. I called zl1 Adonis regarding this. They send me a new set of rock guards and roll of 3M tape.

BEERCHAMP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS
Are you running bigger brakes? If no, as long as the spare will go over the brakes it shouldn't matter if the wheel is a different diameter than the others as long as overall tire diameter is close to the same.
Is your spare a 19"? How far car you drive with a 20" on one side and a 19" on the other.

Sponsored
OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
Is your spare a 19"? How far car you drive with a 20" on one side and a 19" on the other.
Yes, it is as that's the minimum to get over the front brakes. The wheel diameter doesn't make any difference if the tire diameter is the same. The tires on your 20s should have the same diameter as those on my 19s or on the drag pack 18s from Signature. The limit on how long you can drive on it would be about the tire. Certainly should allow time for a tire repair/replacement.

Jeffsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt 2008
I installed the auto fanatic splash guards. They tape as well towards the top but the bond has been good so far. Good coverage as well. Haven’t had a rock chip since.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350

Lloyd's Trunk Mat.jpg
Was considering using the carboard circles too as cushioning. Along with getting the Lloyd's mats. What color did you go with? I was thinking getting Ebony for the inside mats, and the Dark Grey for the trunk, to match the lining along the inside fender walls.

OP
OP
ChipG

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
Was considering using the carboard circles too as cushioning. Along with getting the Lloyd's mats. What color did you go with? I was thinking getting Ebony for the inside mats, and the Dark Grey for the trunk, to match the lining along the inside fender walls.
This one is black. Got it through American Muscle and I don't believe there was a color option with this logo. It is certainly darker than the trunk lining.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
the tire well yet.
So I took the OP's idea of using the carboard packing circle, and improved upon it. I cut it to size, and then glued some thin utility car carpeting to each side. You can also use felt I presume. But I had this leftover automotive carpeting, and used it.
I still have to cut out the center square when I put it in the car's trunk. But that'll be when the snow melts around here.

20210211_123330[1].jpg

20210211_123330[1].jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: