Sponsored

Next gen Camaro supposedly being canceled (all threads merged)

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
MUCH? Really?

The cars are nearly identical except for poor ergonomics in the Camaro. The performance differences are so minor they are pretty much unnoticeable. If the Camaro were MUCH better than the Mustang, Camaros would be selling better. I might have a new Camaro right now if they were MUCH better than the Mustang.

I'm really willing to give up something in ergonomics for a car that's more fun to drive. But the reality is Camaro and Mustang are very similar when it comes to being fun to drive.
I would have to disagree. I found the turn in much sharper on the Camaro, and when driving my PP1 at 7 10ths or above, the rear end feels disconnected from the front. Feel alone aside, handling is on a different level. It has more torque everywhere in the rpm range, and has better brakes. The e diff is a nifty piece of kit as well, usually found on much more expensive cars. That being said, when driving around town, they feel the same, and I can fit a stroller in the trunk of a mustang.

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT
I would have to disagree. I found the turn in much sharper on the Camaro, and when driving my PP1 at 7 10ths or above, the rear end feels disconnected from the front. Feel alone aside, handling is on a different level. It has more torque everywhere in the rpm range, and has better brakes. The e diff is a nifty piece of kit as well, usually found on much more expensive cars. That being said, when driving around town, they feel the same, and I can fit a stroller in the trunk of a mustang.
I can't find another reviewer on earth that claims they prefer the Camaro's brakes... in fact its quite the opposite.

Sponsored

Stonehauler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F350, 550i
While I hope it isn't true, I highly suspect it will be.

Chevrolet and GM in general is moving towards a set of vehicles where the Camaro no longer makes sense. More hybrids, electrics, maybe even fuel cell. The Camaro is a track beast, but as a daily driver, it stinks.

My wife and I looked at a Camaro 2 years ago. She hated it due to a number of reasons, but for the price, the interior is bad (REALLY bad) and the view is worse. Quality and fit/finish were lacking in the three examples we looked at. In the end, it just could not compete with a BMW 340 sedan. My wife even thinks the 3 series is more fun to drive, and it's the model people say sucked the soul out of the 3 series.

Most people (not the people on this forum, but the majority of people who buy mustang/camaro/challenger vehicles that are not super enthusiasts) don't want to spend 50k for a car that's not a daily driver. Even when they have the money for it, why go for the Camaro when you can have a vette for almost the same money? It's not like the seats in the back can be used. Even the mustang has more usable back seats. You also can't fit a set of golf clubs in the back of the Camaro like you can the Mustang or Challenger.

If they did increase the size like the possible rumored mustang size increase, I can see them bringing back a different name though...Chevelle, instead of keeping the Camaro moniker.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
IMHO the biggest threat to BOTH cars is the way CAFE treats vehicle footprint. Vehicles with smaller footprints have to meet higher fuel economy targets than vehicles with larger footprints. At the risk of over-simplifying the concept, footprint is pretty much wheelbase X track. Not really, but close enough for understanding. Mustang and Camaro are short wheelbase cars with powerful engines. They will have higher CAFE targets to hit than Edge or Acadia. The only way they will meet CAFE targets will be through some degree of electrification. That or the companies just have to decide to suck up the deficit on other more efficient models. Car and truck CAFE fleets are managed separately. Guess which two companies just drastically reduced their car fleets? Ford pushing for an electric Mach E makes sense, but from what I can tell, it will be regulated in the Truck CAFE Fleet, so Mustang is still pretty much alone in the Car CAFE Fleet.
Well the Canadian factory that built camaros up till 2002 couldn't make a camaro there that could meet emissions requirements so that's why camaro was canceled the first time Now GM isn't going to make a 7gen because of CAFE regs. I must say that's a new and inventive excuse.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Well the Canadian factory that built camaros up till 2002 couldn't make a camaro there that could meet emissions requirements so that's why camaro was canceled the first time Now GM isn't going to make a 7gen because of CAFE regs. I must say that's a new and inventive excuse.
Camaro went away after 2002 because of NHTSA crash requirements moreso than fuel economy. The Canadian plant (nor any other plant for that matter) has any impact on a car’s capability to meet emissions standards. The F-Body architecture was not capable of meeting upcoming crash standards. The only other architectures available for RWD cars at the time were too expensive for a Camaro and over-subscribed for volume. No plant ever has been responsible for a car meeting or not meeting emissions requirements.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Camaro went away after 2002 because of NHTSA crash requirements moreso than fuel economy. The Canadian plant (nor any other plant for that matter) has any impact on a car’s capability to meet emissions standards. The F-Body architecture was not capable of meeting upcoming crash standards. The only other architectures available for RWD cars at the time were too expensive for a Camaro and over-subscribed for volume. No plant ever has been responsible for a car meeting or not meeting emissions requirements.
According to your buddies at c6g emission was the culprit

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
According to your buddies at c6g emission was the culprit
“My buddies” at C6G tend to quote me on how and why it was discontinued because.....get this..... I was there when it happened.:shock:

So if they are quoting me, they quote what I’ve already said many times on C6G and M6G on this topic.

FWIW, I was there when C5 was cancelled, revived, cancelled again, and revived again.

I was there when the decision was made to import GTO fromAustralia on the Zeta platform. I was there when the decision was made to bring Cam5 back by adding the Zeta platform to the Oshawa plant. I was there when the decision was made to do Cam6 on Alpha, and I was there for two cancellations of mid-engine Corvette. I don’t make shit up. I simply remember it.

Sponsored

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Just couldn't find that happy medium between performance and practicality (for the segment). As others have stated, competition is good. This decision hurts the entire segment in the grand scheme of things.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
“The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated” - Mark Twain

“I’m not quite dead yet” - Monty Python and the Holy Grail

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/report-there-will-be-no-seventh-generation-chevrolet-camaro/

Just copy - pasting what I said about this in another thread.....

What I think is actually going on here is very similar to Ford announcing that Mustang would continue on S550 for a couple more years rather than going to an S650. And word in the industry is that there will likely never be an “S650”. But rather Ford is re-scheming how to continue Mustang in a CAFE world. GM is continuing Camaro on Alpha for a couple years rather than move it to Alpha2 while they figure out what it should / will / will not be beyond 2023. Similar paths. The difference is, Ford took control of its message and said “here’s what we’re doing”. GM continues to play the “not at liberty to discuss future products” card.

IMHO the biggest threat to BOTH cars is the way CAFE treats vehicle footprint. Vehicles with smaller footprints have to meet higher fuel economy targets than vehicles with larger footprints. At the risk of over-simplifying the concept, footprint is pretty much wheelbase X track. Not really, but close enough for understanding. Mustang and Camaro are short wheelbase cars with powerful engines. They will have higher CAFE targets to hit than Edge or Acadia. The only way they will meet CAFE targets will be through some degree of electrification. That or the companies just have to decide to suck up the deficit on other more efficient models. Car and truck CAFE fleets are managed separately. Guess which two companies just drastically reduced their car fleets? Ford pushing for an electric Mach E makes sense, but from what I can tell, it will be regulated in the Truck CAFE Fleet, so Mustang is still pretty much alone in the Car CAFE Fleet.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
Nah I like my 2017 5.2 V8 that gives me 3x the HP of the 60s era with equivalent 3x the fuel economy

times are good actually , but not if youre a Chevy salesman though :)

dpAtlanta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350 (#K2503), 2017 Cayman
I wonder how much the rear blind spot issues hurt sales?

I test drove one a few years ago and the rear blind spots were pretty bad. I have also heard published reviews mentioning the same issue.

If you want the ZL1 for the performance, I could see someone over looking any blind spot issues in favor of the Hp/Torque.

I would think the person looking for a economy sports car would test drive the Camaro, them opt for something different so they could negotiate traffic with ease... Compared to the Camaro.

Just my thoughts with NO scientific basis.
Sponsored