Sponsored

Next gen Camaro supposedly being canceled (all threads merged)

ColeTrickle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP, 09 G8 GT, 00 SS Camaro Conv
Or simply:
1. Not clear worst visibility in segment
2. Not clear worst in interior room in segment
3. Not clear worst in trunk space in segment (can't even fit golf clubs back there, and I don't golf).

All that stuff matters to most of the buyers in the segment. The ones buying for track performance advantages over the S550 represent single digit percentages of sales.

And additionally:
4. Fix some of the interior ergonomics - center vents are at your beltline, not your chest height, bulbous cluster pod in front of you, seats are not the best
I am typically a GM guy. (I have owned cars from all the big 3 over the years)

Have owned a bunch of Camaros and other offerings in years past (still have a 00 SS camaro and a 09 pontiac G8) but I just couldn't get past the interior room , styling or trunk on the new camaro. The looks are so-so to me not hoorible not good.

Shoot all they had to do was put a bowtie on the ats coupe with a 10 speed auto and LT1 for Camaro pricing and less frills and I would have bought that.. No regrets with the 19 mustang compared to the competetion.
Sponsored

Smokey613

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible Race Red
Vehicle Showcase
Coming to a dealership near you! :)

TrevorGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
race red 2015 GT
This is too bad. competition is good thing. If mustang has nothing to compete against, why make improvements.

A8 trans issues sure don’t help things.

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
This probably just means the next gen mustang will innovate less and cost more. Sad.

Edit: seems like its just been delayed. thank god.

Though, trashing the camaro, from GM's perspective, really isn't a big deal (economical really). I feel like the camaro doesn't hold the same halo the mustang does for ford.

Darkstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 Oxford White.
I mostly preferred the Firebird over the Camaro and still lament Pontiac’s demise. Would miss the Camaro too even if it’s not exactly the car I wanna drive. It’s odd to consider pony cars going away all together and hope it’s not true.
I've owned two Firebirds in the past and it was a sad day when they shut down Pontiac. I like to think that the Firebird versions of the 5th and 6th gen Camaro would of been better looking.

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I hope it’s not true.

gmuffley

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 350 Wimbledon White Heritage Edition
Too bad, if true. Competition is good.

But not surprising when Gen6 looked too much like Gen5, and didn't address the shortcomings of Gen5 either.
Couldn't agree more. If the Camaro hadn't reappeared, I doubt the Mustang's performance would have improved as much as it did.

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1

Sponsored

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
This probably just means the next gen mustang will innovate less and cost more. Sad.

Edit: seems like its just been delayed. thank god.

Though, trashing the camaro, from GM's perspective, really isn't a big deal (economical really). I feel like the camaro doesn't hold the same halo the mustang does for ford.
Of course it doesn't, they have the Corvette. But they would still be pushing those customers that are still spending money with GM buying it over to other brands. I'm not sure what their sales numbers are, but it's still money in their pocket that's not going to the competition. When I worked in retail, if someone was buying something, I would sell it to them even if i only made 5% on the deal. Better to make 5% and move the product than to have them buy it from someone else.

Ehdrian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
Black 2015 Mustang GT PP
Time for Terminator 2? I suppose the GT500 could be retroactively called that.

Digitalwiz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 Roush Stage 2 / 2012 Audi R8
Until they do....

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
And then there’s this....

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/06/report-there-will-be-no-seventh-generation-chevrolet-camaro/

Basically, what appears to be going on is Chevy is taking a play out of Ford’s playbook and extending Cam6 on Alpha for a couple years, just as Ford is extending S550. After that time there will either be a Cam7 or Chevy will have moved deeper into GM’s electric future and replaced the Camaro with a sporty electric.

In addition to low sales, Camaro suffers from a poor position with respect to how CAFE is measured. CAFE penalizes cars with relatively short wheelbases and benefits CUVs that can be classified as Trucks for CAFE purposes. Acadia / Blazer / Traverse all have easier fuel economy targets to meet than Camaro. Same applies for Mustang wrt Explorer. In either case, that disadvantage goes away if either goes electric.
Sponsored