Sponsored

Next gen Camaro supposedly being canceled (all threads merged)

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
Scott was a very reliable source back during the last hiatus. That article was from August of last year, so I guess GM could have changed their mind...who knows.
Oh it wouldn’t surprise me one bit. If that article is dead on. The nitwits chanting about ATP. And having a more exclusive car. Have their heads buried in the sand. In my opinion.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
It'd be pretty easy to make the Camaro overall superior to the Mustang. Styling has driven most of the problem areas that hamper its sales. People like Al O are the reason.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If not a completely clean-sheet design, the Gen6 should have been rooted in the '70-'72, big mouth grille, no-rear-spoiler body style. Clean and purposeful, by far my favorite years of the Camaro.

A little minor updating for present day and it would have been killer.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Scott was a very reliable source back during the last hiatus. That article was from August of last year, so I guess GM could have changed their mind...who knows.
That’s the way Product Planning works at GM. Some decisions are made only so they can be in-made. I was in the room on two separate occasions when C5 Corvette was cancelled.

And the future of the pony car is up in the air it seems according the article.
"Camaro program has been suspended and the pony car will likely die early next decade."
This is probably the most accurate statement in play at this time. I have seen something on paper that indicates there will be Camaros built in 2021 and 2022. I assumed at the time that the information was referring to a 7th gen. If the article floating around today is true it very well could have been referring to extension of 6th gen. Thing is, the information I saw was relating to something that is not currently on 6th gen, so it is either 7th gen or there are more changes coming to 6th gen. I can’t say more than that without getting people in trouble.

Last edited:

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Damn! I was just thinking about trading for one. :giggle:

Sarcasm - for those who didn't pick up on it.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I've said it before and I'll say it again: If not a completely clean-sheet design, the Gen6 should have been rooted in the '70-'72, big mouth grille, no-rear-spoiler body style. Clean and purposeful, by far my favorite years of the Camaro.

A little minor updating for present day and it would have been killer.
Or simply:
1. Not clear worst visibility in segment
2. Not clear worst in interior room in segment
3. Not clear worst in trunk space in segment (can't even fit golf clubs back there, and I don't golf).

All that stuff matters to most of the buyers in the segment. The ones buying for track performance advantages over the S550 represent single digit percentages of sales.

And additionally:
4. Fix some of the interior ergonomics - center vents are at your beltline, not your chest height, bulbous cluster pod in front of you, seats are not the best

Deleted member 35644

Can't say I'm really surprised. They finally get it on a good chassis, and then can't help themselves, and screw it up appearance-wise. Chevy has a HORRIBLE team of designers....just look at the last several generations of the Silverado, one of their bread & butter vehicles. They just can't seem to produce anything cohesive and evolve it correctly. Their design philosophy seems to be that if it isn't homely, it soon will be. Combine this with the existing consumer gripes that they never remedied (rearward visibility, interior plastics, badly engineered convertible top on 2011, which I experienced personally), and you have the reasons for the Camaro's death sentence. RIP again.

Camaro.JPG

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Yeah, hard to say - the GM Authority article is about a year old, and I could see plans changing in that amount of time.

I hope it doesn't happen - from all accounts the current Camaro is a great driver, and if they just addressed some of the body issues it could be a great car. I was hoping a future generation might do that. The more great cars there are to choose from, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Fetlock

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT MT
Better visibility, a bigger trunk, and a restyle and they wouldn't be able to keep these in stock. I don't understand GM.

Sponsored

YoloBathsalts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT - PP1
Not to mention the 2019-2020 refresh is the worst looking car I've ever seen in my life. I cross shopped an 18 Camaro and thought it looked pretty decent. But holy sweet flying f*%k is that refresh ugly. When I first saw it I thought it was a photoshopped joke photo, or some terrible rendering, but no. It's real.

UserName

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 718 GT4
I mostly preferred the Firebird over the Camaro and still lament Pontiac’s demise. Would miss the Camaro too even if it’s not exactly the car I wanna drive. It’s odd to consider pony cars going away all together and hope it’s not true.

jcartwright734

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
dream car
Well I hope that isn’t true. But if it is? I know several guys over there. That told me sales don’t matter. And they told me to flip off. When I mentioned sales. And I mentioned that I thought the Camaro was headed down a dark road!
This is actually more hopeful news for the other side.

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2018/08/gm-working-on-next-two-chevrolet-camaro-generations-says-the-
Blaqwhole can sit and spin! I’ve never read a bigger troll on the internet. If this is true, history repeats itself. Typical GM

ColeTrickle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP, 09 G8 GT, 00 SS Camaro Conv
4wd Tesla 3 has nailed down the coffin on small pony cars. GM presumably have an electric Camaro in the pipeline.

Top Gear on Sunday tested a Tesla 4wd 3 against an M5, an Alfa (the fast one) and a C63 over 1/2 mile. The Tesla led all the way until the last few yards where the C63 just pipped it.
maybe you mean the M3?

The m5 is a awd 600++ hp monster that would absolutely kill everything else listed in a 1/4 or 1/2.

TnWHTMARE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang 5.0
Vehicle Showcase