Sponsored

Newish to track, but need decent wheels and tyres, help?

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
Been a few times now and the PS4S aren't the worst but obviously far from great.

Looking at AR1'S but can't seem to get a tyre size i was looking for...

Does keeping rolling diameter matter?

Going to go for a full set of wheels and rubber just for track days.

All recommendations welcomr
Sponsored

rcsracing

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 HP #1859
I'm not an expert, but my Mach 1 will be used for a track / weekend car.

Overall rolling diameter matters in terms of gearing - small OD will act like higher rear end gear (3.73->4.11), but not quite as drastic I think.

Here's a Grassroots Motorsports tire test by Andy Hollis - this is a great starting point. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/track-tire-buyers-guide/

thelostotter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP
For track use Iā€™d suggest you go to a 19x11 or 18x11 squared setup with 305s all around. LMR and Apex both have affordable options.

I run 305/30R19s NT01s on the track which are a good bit shorter than the stock tires but itā€™s not a bad thing unless you are on a super long track. In which case the 3.73 rear end might be too short, but it works for me.

I think I will go to Goodyear Supercar 3 tires next, they seem to have a good reputation on these heavy cars.

OP
OP

Heretic404

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 S550
For track use Iā€™d suggest you go to a 19x11 or 18x11 squared setup with 305s all around. LMR and Apex both have affordable options.

I run 305/30R19s NT01s on the track which are a good bit shorter than the stock tires but itā€™s not a bad thing unless you are on a super long track. In which case the 3.73 rear end might be too short, but it works for me.

I think I will go to Goodyear Supercar 3 tires next, they seem to have a good reputation on these heavy cars.
All factory diff in AUS are 3.55 šŸ™„ so if anything it'll probably be a good thing šŸ˜…

Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Fitting square 305s and 11s requires extended studs and slip on spacers in the front, as well as camber plates. 305/30 is the most common size and the gearing is what it is.

supercar 3s would be a reallyy good choice.

JimmyStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang
How serious are you going to be tracking your car? Are you doing it casually or are you deep diving in?

If just casually and not too serious, you could get a 19x10 ET35 wheel all round and put 275/35 Nankang AR1s on. It'll still be plenty fast and you'll have lots of fun, and you'll be able to rotate back to front without issue / no spacers, no extended studs etc.

Since you're in AUS like me, semi slicks over here are pretty pricey except for Nankang AR1s which are fantastic value for money.

I'm gonna be putting a set on the stock wheels as a track setup. Again, not gonna be the fastest with the stock wheels and somewhat limited tyre width, but lots of fun to be had still.
Sponsored