Sponsored

New wheels/tires or brakes?

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Alright, so I am tracking my Ecoboost Mustang for the first time this year at Road Atlanta. It is a base model (Smaller brakes) with the 20x9 foundry wheels on P Zeros.

Budget wise I have two options, go for a smaller/wider wheel (19x10 hopefully, but maybe just 19x9) and get Michelin PSS's and get Hawk pads for the stock brakes. Or go for the 15' Brembo gt brakes and run the foundry wheels.

Has anyone run Road Atlanta on the smaller brakes? If so, did you have serious fade issues.

Anyone ran on 20x9's? Your thoughts on tracking such a large wheel?

Pic of me at AMP in my old car for attention.
15724808_1278341438889661_1628664017898842605_o.jpg
Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I can say the foundry wheels won't fit over the GTPP brakes if you get those. So if you get GTPP brakes, you'll need new wheels anyway.

I'd go the other route and get new wheels/tires and better pads in your EB brakes. Then you'll have wheels that will also clear later if you do upgrade the brakes.

ddozier

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.trackcarbuilds.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Wheels, tires, brake pads and brake ducts would my first choice, the PP Brakes are amazing but they will only help with one aspect of driving on track, the larger wheels and tires will help with all aspects of driving on track.

By the way these are the track wheels you need to look into. The group by ends in less than a week so don't wait to long.
https://www.groupbuyparts.com/index.php/apex-18x10-mustang-wheel.html

Atlanta is a great and fun track. Other than 10a is not to bad on brakes, most of the hard braking zones are followed by long high speed stretches that will allow for a good amount of cooling between brake events.

Dave

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Another thought is just upgrading to the 14" Rotor and Calipers. Its almost half of the Brembo upgrade ($575-600 the last time we sold one) and you go from a 12.5" rotor to almost a 14" rotor. This also opens up your brake pad choices greatly. This lets you run any wheel, less weight up front so it upsets the balance less.

6 Pistons are nice but depending on your goals there are other options.

OP
OP

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I can say the foundry wheels won't fit over the GTPP brakes if you get those. So if you get GTPP brakes, you'll need new wheels anyway.

I'd go the other route and get new wheels/tires and better pads in your EB brakes. Then you'll have wheels that will also clear later if you do upgrade the brakes.

Really? That's surprising to hear. I'm gonna want to do some research here but if its the case it really narrows my choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Another thought is just upgrading to the 14" Rotor and Calipers. Its almost half of the Brembo upgrade ($575-600 the last time we sold one) and you go from a 12.5" rotor to almost a 14" rotor. This also opens up your brake pad choices greatly. This lets you run any wheel, less weight up front so it upsets the balance less.

6 Pistons are nice but depending on your goals there are other options.
Do you sell the gt 14" kit? If so shoot me a link (I don't see it on your site).

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Do you sell the gt 14" kit? If so shoot me a link (I don't see it on your site).
There's a lot of things not on our site :( Ito a pretty simple kit, Calipers, Rotors (OEM blanks or our OEM Slotted which are on our site) 5.0L brake hoses, caliper bolts, crush washers and directions (For installing the 15" but all the torque specs and procedures are the same) The only thing that varies the price is the G-LOC compound, rotor choice and if you want to upgrade to Goodridge Braided hoses. Pretty simple bolt-on.

JamesinLittleSilver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Ecoboost Premium
If you can afford the tires and EBPP/GT 4 piston brakes that is great choice. Big difference over standard EB brakes. As Tommy said it opens up a lot of options...I added the Steeda stainless brake lines and good brake fluid and the difference even for a total newbie was noticeable.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
comparing base Ecoboost or V6 to GT front brakes
picture.jpg

Sponsored

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
If you plan to track this car regularly do not waste your time or money on the base GT brakes.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The base GT brakes will be a good upgrade if you can get them cheap, though you'll want different pads for track use.

Optimum Performance

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
The base GT brakes will be a good upgrade if you can get them cheap, though you'll want different pads for track use.
I agree, the Shelby take-offs are a bargain. I would take them up on it while they last. For track use on a street tire I would go to R12 G-LOCs. You can then run the GS-1 compound on the street for Daily Driving duties(Quiet and Low Dust). This saves the more expensive track compound for it's intended purpose. Put them on the night before and you can drive to the track with them. Once you have run the G-LOC compounds you can switch back and forth without having to clean the rotors or re-bed them. The R-12's would come Pre-Bedded. If you find yourself progressing on track I would then add brake cooling.

When you do the swap flush all the old fluid out and replace it with new every 6 months. The Ford Fluid is pretty good (508F) people run into issues because they leave it in too long. SRF is the best alternative fluid because it is still very effective with moisture.

OP
OP

Garf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
I agree, the Shelby take-offs are a bargain. I would take them up on it while they last. For track use on a street tire I would go to R12 G-LOCs. You can then run the GS-1 compound on the street for Daily Driving duties(Quiet and Low Dust). This saves the more expensive track compound for it's intended purpose. Put them on the night before and you can drive to the track with them. Once you have run the G-LOC compounds you can switch back and forth without having to clean the rotors or re-bed them. The R-12's would come Pre-Bedded. If you find yourself progressing on track I would then add brake cooling.

When you do the swap flush all the old fluid out and replace it with new every 6 months. The Ford Fluid is pretty good (508F) people run into issues because they leave it in too long. SRF is the best alternative fluid because it is still very effective with moisture.
Thanks for the great adivse. I've spoken with an engineering friend and he's calmed my nerves some about using a cast wheel. I believe I can actually go with the rtx gt350 knock off (19x10) and Micheiln PSS tires AND gt (not brembo) brakes and stay within budget. as far as pads go I'll look into R-12's. I've always run Hawk hp plus pads prior but I'm open to new things.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the great adivse. I've spoken with an engineering friend and he's calmed my nerves some about using a cast wheel. I believe I can actually go with the rtx gt350 knock off (19x10) and Micheiln PSS tires AND gt (not brembo) brakes and stay within budget. as far as pads go I'll look into R-12's. I've always run Hawk hp plus pads prior but I'm open to new things.
HP Plus are decent compromise pads, as they work decent on the street and are solid on the track. That said, they are loud when cold and screech a bit.
Sponsored

Last edited: