Sponsored

New TPMSs or use current ones?

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Wheels should be coming in sometime and new tires are in order. Should I just use the current three y/o TPMSs or get new ones. The ones on my truck lasted over six years and considering tire life expectancy, I'm thinking I might be able to use the current ones.

Opinions and experiences?

Thanks!
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you're don't need the ones in your current wheels, just reuse them. They're kind of pricey to replace so if they work, don't throw them out.

TexasMetallic5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 Ram 1500 4x4
I paid like $25-30 for a set to put in my new wheels. It'd have cost that much to have the ones taken out of my factory wheels.

rangerryda

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium A10
Vehicle Showcase
Just grab a new set. They're pretty cheap. Just make sure whatever tire shop you're going to isn't going to be picky about supplying your own parts. (I'm looking at you Tires Plus!)

Sponsored

Scooter MGee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
'20 MGT, '18 H-D Fat Bob 131ci, '17 Yaris
........or go into the car with Forscan and delete the feature all together.

MRGTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6spd base
6-7 years is normal for TPMS transponders. Do you really think your new tires will last longer than three years? If so, how much longer?
Chances are you can delay this cost until your next tire change without consequences.

OP
OP
ArgentumS550

ArgentumS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium, A10, PP1, Recaros, 07 4Runner V8
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for your relies. I will use the old ones and will switch them out on the 2nd set of tires.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
The TPMS can become damaged if not removed carefully. One of mine got fried that way.

I would still recommend getting 4 new ones and when installing them, be sure they are parallel to the rim surface so that there is no contact. This way, you do not need to worry down the road about battery life.

If you buy the Ford ones on sale from one of our sponsors you shouldn't have a problem with needing the programming tool.

Best of luck.

CVCashmere

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
The TPMS can become damaged if not removed carefully. One of mine got fried that way.

I would still recommend getting 4 new ones and when installing them, be sure they are parallel to the rim surface so that there is no contact. This way, you do not need to worry down the road about battery life.

If you buy the Ford ones on sale from one of our sponsors you shouldn't have a problem with needing the programming tool.

Best of luck.

CVCashmere
They aren’t one time use. You don’t replace the TPMS every time you change tires or patch a flat, do you?

A good tire tech won’t break them. Why throw away a complete set of perfectly good working parts? doesn’t make sense.
Sponsored