New to the S550 so go easy. Need advice

Jtscoins

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
1992 Mustang summer edition
I am going to purchase a White 2022 with the blackout package. My only options are the 301A, Auto trans and I’ve been told I can get the 355’s because it’s a build from ford. Now bear with me, I’m a foxbody guy and have lots of experience with them at the track and on the street, but the new ones are a different animal. I am buying it to occasionally bring to the track and have fun on the street. I want to keep the factory warranty regarding the drive train as it’s going to be a $45,000 purchase after taxes. What are the Best mods for a straight line car without voiding the warranty on the power train? ive heard about the Ford kit that has the GT 350 CAI and TB along with the tune, I am giving that consideration as it keeps the power train for 3/36. Best suspension mods to stop wheelhop? Any advice on getting the most out of it for “as little” as possible. Not looking to supercharge it, Im getting too old and slow for that. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Coyote Chase

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2010/2018 Mustang
The best solution for me was to keep my personal Mustang bone stock and enjoy it!
And then buy a second one to modify and take to the track. That's what I did 12 years ago and my 2010 premium convertible still rides and drives like new.
I later got rid of my track beater and purchased a brand new 2018 Mustang, tore up the warranty and took it straight to the track!

gadgtfreek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium Shadow Black 10spd Auto
Yeah, get the Ford performance tune with accessories installed by the right people and keep the warranty. Other than that stuff like the steed stop the hop.

I bought mine with 14k miles on it, installed a Borla, Rousch CAI and Lund tune and havent looked back lol.

Marco_C

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marco
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
For suspension I got myself the BMR CB005 and although it is not installed yet, I have heard from many people in this forum it helps control the car a lot better.

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I am going to purchase a White 2022 with the blackout package. My only options are the 301A, Auto trans and I’ve been told I can get the 355’s because it’s a build from ford. Now bear with me, I’m a foxbody guy and have lots of experience with them at the track and on the street, but the new ones are a different animal. I am buying it to occasionally bring to the track and have fun on the street. I want to keep the factory warranty regarding the drive train as it’s going to be a $45,000 purchase after taxes. What are the Best mods for a straight line car without voiding the warranty on the power train? ive heard about the Ford kit that has the GT 350 CAI and TB along with the tune, I am giving that consideration as it keeps the power train for 3/36. Best suspension mods to stop wheelhop? Any advice on getting the most out of it for “as little” as possible. Not looking to supercharge it, Im getting too old and slow for that. Thanks in advance.
I wanted the same as you, to get the most out of the car without voiding the powertrain warranty.

I ran my baseline with a 1/2 tank of 93, showroom stock, pirelli pzeros, in 1250 ft DA right off the highway. At the time of the run, my IATs we're ~140*. It ran a 12.2 @ 118 with a 2.0 60'. The track wasn't prepped well, it was my first pass in the car, and I called it a day with an A to B baseline.

I installed the BMR CB010 and CB762. It's similar to the Streeda Stop the Hop entry kit. Both work well to prevent wheel hop and keep the car planted.

Then, I looked for traction. I already had a pair of 17x9 bullets with MT ET Street bias ply tires so I gave them a try first. Then I bought a pair of Forgestar F14 17x4.5 wheels and MT front runners. With full weight and ~1/2 tank of 93, I ran 11.55 @ 121.5 mph with a 1.85 60' in 223ft DA.

I had an old rear seat delete kit from my 06 GT and decided to test fit it. It fit. My next trip to the track, I had the passenger seat out (I was alone and needed room for wheels/tires, and tools), rear seat delete, 1/4 tank of 93, and the slicks and skinnies. Still on stock tune and airbox, it ran 11.32 @ 122.97 mph with a 1.79 60' and a great -578 ft DA.

For not touching the tune, minor weight reduction, minor suspension work, and proper wheels/tires for the drag strip have served me well. I could get an e85 tune, wait for perfect DA, and shoot for 10s but my local track is about to close so for now, I'm going to enjoy the powertrain warranty.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Jtscoins

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I wanted the same as you, to get the most out of the car without voiding the powertrain warranty.

I ran my baseline with a 1/2 tank of 93, showroom stock, pirelli pzeros, in 1250 ft DA right off the highway. At the time of the run, my IATs we're ~140*. It ran a 12.2 @ 118 with a 2.0 60'. The track wasn't prepped well, it was my first pass in the car, and I called it a day with an A to B baseline.

I installed the BMR CB010 and CB762. It's similar to the Streeda Stop the Hop entry kit. Both work well to prevent wheel hop and keep the car planted.

Then, I looked for traction. I already had a pair of 17x9 bullets with MT ET Street bias ply tires so I gave them a try first. Then I bought a pair of Forgestar F14 17x4.5 wheels and MT front runners. With full weight and ~1/2 tank of 93, I ran 11.55 @ 121.5 mph with a 1.85 60' in 223ft DA.

I had an old rear seat delete kit from my 06 GT and decided to test fit it. It fit. My next trip to the track, I had the passenger seat out (I was alone and needed room for wheels/tires, and tools), rear seat delete, 1/4 tank of 93, and the slicks and skinnies. Still on stock tune and airbox, it ran 11.32 @ 122.97 mph with a 1.79 60' and a great -578 ft DA.

For not touching the tune, minor weight reduction, minor suspension work, and proper wheels/tires for the drag strip have served me well. I could get an e85 tune, wait for perfect DA, and shoot for 10s but my local track is about to close so for now, I'm going to enjoy the powertrain warranty.
Thanks for the info. Was your car a power pack edition or a base model with an Upgraded interior package? I’m getting the 355’s, 301a package as the interior isn’t that important to me. The BMR kits you put on, do you recommend them over the Steeda stop the hop? Also do you recommend vertical links or drag springs? I’m guessing the axles will hold up fine with the proper stop the hop kits, and I’m just adding a cat back a
exhaust and the ford tune with the GT 350 CAI amd TB. Not going to live at the track, perhaps 1-2x every few months just to have some fun. Any other info would be appreciated. It’s amazing how the technology has changed so many things from the transmissions to the gears literally reversing as far as 1/4 mile times. Thanks again

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. Was your car a power pack edition or a base model with an Upgraded interior package? I’m getting the 355’s, 301a package as the interior isn’t that important to me. The BMR kits you put on, do you recommend them over the Steeda stop the hop? Also do you recommend vertical links or drag springs? I’m guessing the axles will hold up fine with the proper stop the hop kits, and I’m just adding a cat back a
exhaust and the ford tune with the GT 350 CAI amd TB. Not going to live at the track, perhaps 1-2x every few months just to have some fun. Any other info would be appreciated. It’s amazing how the technology has changed so many things from the transmissions to the gears literally reversing as far as 1/4 mile times. Thanks again
I have a 2019 400A with 3.55 gears. It isn't the PP1 but I do have the drive modes which I hear make a big difference. All runs I described above were in drag mode.

I have looked much into vertical links or springs so I can't help there. Honestly, if you have good DRs on the back and get them hot, you shouldn't have any wheel hop. No wheel hop will help your axles live longer. Bias ply tires also absorb some of the launch shock which can also help save the axles though everyone says an Auto should have a regular DR and bias ply for manuals. I have bias ply from my last car so not going to replace what works yet.

I've heard great things about the Steeds kit and I like what I got in the BMR parts. I can't say if one is better than the other. Both great companies and both have sales towards black Friday.

I cut a 1.79 60' which for a stock tuned car, I was really happy with. I didn't look for more suspension as I didn't think I'd do much better without more power or other bigger mods like further weight reduction or a stall.

OP
OP

Jtscoins

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
I have a 2019 400A with 3.55 gears. It isn't the PP1 but I do have the drive modes which I hear make a big difference. All runs I described above were in drag mode.

I have looked much into vertical links or springs so I can't help there. Honestly, if you have good DRs on the back and get them hot, you shouldn't have any wheel hop. No wheel hop will help your axles live longer. Bias ply tires also absorb some of the launch shock which can also help save the axles though everyone says an Auto should have a regular DR and bias ply for manuals. I have bias ply from my last car so not going to replace what works yet.

I've heard great things about the Steeds kit and I like what I got in the BMR parts. I can't say if one is better than the other. Both great companies and both have sales towards black Friday.

I cut a 1.79 60' which for a stock tuned car, I was really happy with. I didn't look for more suspension as I didn't think I'd do much better without more power or other bigger mods like further weight reduction or a stall.
Thanks for the advice. Will probably go with the BMR setup except I’ll take it one step further and get the stage 2 kit with the other kit you recommended, for $400 you can’t go wrong and for my application it should be perfectly fine. My buddy has a like new set of drag stars with a set of almost new Mickey Thompson’s street R’s that he is looking to sell. I just might add some lowering Springs for the look of it. Along with the Ford performance tune and accessories I’ll call it a day. Ohhh and a cat back. I can do the labor myself so I’ll just take my time and have fun with it. Not looking to be a 9 second car, if I can get it to 11.5 with limited add ons it’s still pretty damn impressive. When the warranty expires I can always throw headers and a tune for 93/e85 and take the next step. But In All honesty I’m past the “have to be as fast as possible stage”. Thanks again and enjoy your ride.
Sponsored