Sponsored

New to me car with loads of aftermarket audio - what is all this stuff?

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If only the previous owner put in more effort into the installation of the system adding a DSP would make it killer i guess.
Sponsored

Gregs24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Mustang V8 GT, Ford Kuga PHEV
Who fitted a speaker that fires into a seat and thought it would be an improvement?

I would get it checked over by a proper auto electrician before doing anything. A wire direct from the battery positive terminal ..... I do hope there is a fuse in there!

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
What's all this stuff, a waste of money? That adds nothing to the driving thrill of the Mustang.

What does the dash unit look like? Should be able to sell that stuff, for $0.50 on the dollar, and replace the panels to clean up the interior.

Hope the harness was not hacked too much in the process. Go to an installer get a second opinion, and a read on what's there.

And don't let some shop hoze you on the components, find out the value of that junk first.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Those speakers aren’t junk at all. Are there better ones? Most probably yes, but with a good tune and fixed installation you can make them boogie.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
What's all this stuff, a waste of money? That adds nothing to the driving thrill of the Mustang.

What does the dash unit look like? Should be able to sell that stuff, for $0.50 on the dollar, and replace the panels to clean up the interior.

Hope the harness was not hacked too much in the process. Go to an installer get a second opinion, and a read on what's there.

And don't let some shop hoze you on the components, find out the value of that junk first.
Rockford AMPs are not junk.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Rockford AMPs are not junk.
I actually think most brands have good units out now a days for the most part. my favorites are JL amps, but I went with like literal cheapest alpines I could use and they also worked equally well, older days I used kicker starting out, etc. never had any bad issues with any brand.

m3incorp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium with Roush Phase 2, 2017 Corvette Z06, 2018 Subaru WRX, 2015 VW Golf, 2015 Ford Fusion
I am going to probably say what many might disagree with. Most on here want a better sounding system.. The OP has a crappy install but I would take that over the stock system and then correct the faults. The equipment is not bad at all and will sound pretty dang good with a DSP and tuning. Yes the wiring sucks from what you can see. That can be fixed. The timely work of installing speakers and running the wires are already completed, so that is a good thing (though I would definitely check the quality of the wiring). Changing out the sub to something that doesn't take up much trunk space will be easy. Removing everything from the spare tirewell won't be as easy, but doable by pro without a sweat....but of course that means coming up with/fabricating a new place for amps/dsp/wiring, if planning to keep. No way would I gut this system. Sometimes we don't know what we have until it's gone...if you know what I mean. OP go to a good install shop annd tell them what you would like to do and ask for their suggestion......is my suggestion :)

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I am going to probably say what many might disagree with. Most on here want a better sounding system.. The OP has a crappy install but I would take that over the stock system and then correct the faults. The equipment is not bad at all and will sound pretty dang good with a DSP and tuning. Yes the wiring sucks from what you can see. That can be fixed. The timely work of installing speakers and running the wires are already completed, so that is a good thing (though I would definitely check the quality of the wiring). Changing out the sub to something that doesn't take up much trunk space will be easy. Removing everything from the spare tirewell won't be as easy, but doable by pro without a sweat....but of course that means coming up with/fabricating a new place for amps/dsp/wiring, if planning to keep. No way would I gut this system. Sometimes we don't know what we have until it's gone...if you know what I mean. OP go to a good install shop annd tell them what you would like to do and ask for their suggestion......is my suggestion :)
Agreed, work with what you have. The stock 9 speaker premium system is complete garbage.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
All that needs to be done is to fix the wiring, change the sub to regain some trunkspace and add a DSP. Even a basic DSP will be way better than no DSP at all.
And yes, the overall installation of the speakers is a hackjob, but if they are solidly mounted you could live with it.

OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
@Cathul @FreePenguin thanks for all your suggestions! I thought I'd check under the driver's side kick panel to see if the OE amplifier was still in place. The amp is gone, but there is a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 in it's place: https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/dsr1/

tempImagee35U6b.jpg

According to the product page this is a DSP. I downloaded the app and was able to connect to it over bluetooth. One thing that I noticed is that it seems to have been left at it's default settings - maybe this is why everything sounds "muddy"?

6009BDD7-0C0E-4916-B435-18A7211D5D14_1_102_o.jpeg
8E8C8B2E-7568-41AF-B4F3-05E71AEB4A81_1_102_o.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
I just can’t believe the person who did that thought “man I did a great job” which they probably was feeling accomplished.
I was going through the receipts that came in the car earlier today, and sadly this appears to be the work of a "professional" car audio shop. The previous owner paid over $3000 a couple of years ago for the components and the install.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If that was a shop it’s even more sad.
Please check the „Advanced tuning“ section of the DSR1.
And be glad you have that. While not being the best DSP on the market it has almost all tools to make your system sound very good. It just needs to be setup correctly. And when seeing the rest of the install I really doubt that.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
The DSR1 also has the Maestro AR capability which retains all of your chimes and factory functionality.
Sponsored