Sponsored

New to me car with loads of aftermarket audio - what is all this stuff?

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
So I bought a used 2016 ecoboost premium recently. It's had the stock shaker audio replaced with some aftermarket components. I know next to nothing about car audio, can you guys help me figure out what I have and if it's any good?

IMG_4535.jpeg

IMG_4536.jpeg

These are next to the passenger seats
IMG_4537.jpeg

IMG_4542.jpeg

Found these subs behind the rear setbacks when I folded them down. They are marked 'Rockford P1'
IMG_4538.jpeg

Found these in the spare tire well. I believe these are amplifiers? Not sure what the components that the large power wires are going to are. Fuses maybe?
IMG_4540.jpeg

Underside of the board on which these components are mounted. It just sits in the spare tire well and flops around. Pretty shit installation job if you ask me - I'd have expected standoffs at the very least.

I traced the large red wire to the +ve battery terminal in the engine bay.
IMG_4541.jpeg
Sponsored

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
Looks like someone completely replaced the Shaker setup.

You are correct about the amps. The two devices that the power wires go into are fuse blocks.

You have some decent Rockford Fosgate equipment there. Sucks to see the cut a whole in the door panels and rear seat panels.

OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
Good to know! Sadly I have no use for this stuff - mostly I use my EB for commuting and all I'm listening to are audiobooks or podcasts.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
It would be too much hassle to replace. As he probably cut into main wiring harnesses etc. i wouldn’t mess with any of it if it sounds good tbh

you can tidy up the work surely

OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
I'm going to take a look to see if the factory amp is still there. If it is, I might try to keep just the front and rear speakers and get rid of everything else. I'd rather have more room in the trunk by removing the sub box, and have a spare tire in the well.
I probably could make a few hundred bucks by listing the stuff I don't want as well...

Weirdly, it doesn't sound *that* good. It's super loud and with lots of bass sure, but I have a nice set of over the ear apple headphones that sound better.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What sucks is I threw out all my stock stuff few months back, had extra amp and all. You can buy another amp off eBay for like 80 bucks, that’s what I did. (Bought shaker pro) so I could get sub sugnal

my 9 speaker shaker amp didn’t have sub channel

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
The stock 9/12 speakers are actually really solid if you adjust the eq

shame you nolonger have the oem set up

OP
OP
abie915

abie915

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP, '16 EB PP
What sucks is I threw out all my stock stuff few months back, had extra amp and all. You can buy another amp off eBay for like 80 bucks, that’s what I did. (Bought shaker pro) so I could get sub sugnal

my 9 speaker shaker amp didn’t have sub channel
Aw shoot, I would have happily bought your stock components :)

Yeah this car originally didn't have the sub either: it appears to be a 200a car so it would have had 9 speakers and no sub. I like the idea of adding in the shaker pro to get the sub signal - I could probably keep one of the subs and have something like the factory setup. Plus, I'll be able to clean up the rats nest of wiring that the previous owner did

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Weirdly, it doesn't sound *that* good. It's super loud and with lots of bass sure, but I have a nice set of over the ear apple headphones that sound better.
That's because he through in stuff without adding a DSP.
If going full aftermarket you _need_ a DSP to align everything together in todays cars.

And yeah... that was a hackjob done by someone who doesn't know sh*t about proper installation.
Tbh... i would rather pay someone to tidy that up (and probably change the sub to a sparetire subwoofer or one of the already mentioned ones to gain trunkspace back) than going to the Shaker system again.
Think about it. You need new doorcars, new rear deck, the speakers, the amp, maybe someone to fix the wiring as i may start to believe they cut the stock wires somewhere... this all adds up.
So better have someone fix what you have (and maybe add a DSP) and be done with it. Cost may be about the same after all.

Sponsored

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
That's because he through in stuff without adding a DSP.
If going full aftermarket you _need_ a DSP to align everything together in todays cars.

And yeah... that was a hackjob done by someone who doesn't know sh*t about proper installation.
Tbh... i would rather pay someone to tidy that up (and probably change the sub to a sparetire subwoofer or one of the already mentioned ones to gain trunkspace back) than going to the Shaker system again.
Think about it. You need new doorcars, new rear deck, the speakers, the amp, maybe someone to fix the wiring as i may start to believe they cut the stock wires somewhere... this all adds up.
So better have someone fix what you have (and maybe add a DSP) and be done with it. Cost may be about the same after all.
I agree with him. Isn’t worth effort ro rebuy oem stuff. If I had all my oem amps etc I would of given stuff to ya. But I’d fix what you have

i mean if not you’ll need new door panels etc too from them cutting them etc

BadHabit2Break

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT350
I have to agree, if you decide to go back to OEM, it will be alot of work just to do that.

At this point, I would clean up what you have and maybe change the sub to one that fits on the side (JL Audio). That wiring under the amp rack is horrible.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
All you need is new door panels and new rear panels. Clean everything else up as suggested and you’ll be good. I’d the big subwoofer box is taking up too much trunk space, switch over to the JL Audio Stealth Box which tucks into the right corner. If you can’t find used panels, I’m guessing you’ll spend around $1K to buy new ones.

FreePenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
17 mustang
Vehicle Showcase
I just can’t believe the person who did that thought “man I did a great job” which they probably was feeling accomplished.

If they are good speakers though, toss a dsp, get them set up proper, it would sound very good if you didn’t care about the aesthetics and clean up the wires a bit and tuck etc

that’s what I would do personally. I mean they are already there and installed and if could be fixed up, wouldn’t cost much for dsp vs buying new panels, new oem stuff or used oem stuff and all the work to replace and assuming wire harnesses are all there and not butchered, that could be tedious
Sponsored