Sponsored

New to Airlift 3P, looking for tips from experienced!

Miadhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang EcoBoost
Hi all, as a proud new owner of Airlift 3P I'm pretty excited to be driving on air, I just had a few questions.

Firstly here are my wheel & tire specs:
Front 19x10 +35 285/35/19
Rear 19x11.5 +55 295/35/19

Ride height/driving preset:
40psi front
65psi rear

Here are my questions:
1. Is it normal for the car to air up above the preset? My front bags will often air up to 43-45 psi instead of my selected 40?
2. Do you recommend upgrading to the Steeda rear shock mounts? I had them for my Steeda pro action shocks but I had to use the OEM mounts for these struts since they're 10mm vs the 12mm on the Steeda struts.
3. Is it possible to fit a 325/30/19 on the rear? That was my original plan as 295 is kinda stretched looking on 11.5s, but now I'm worried about clearance. I'll stick to a 305 if I must but would rather have the meaty tire look.
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all, as a proud new owner of Airlift 3P I'm pretty excited to be driving on air, I just had a few questions.

Firstly here are my wheel & tire specs:
Front 19x10 +35 285/35/19
Rear 19x11.5 +55 295/35/19

Ride height/driving preset:
40psi front
65psi rear

Here are my questions:
1. Is it normal for the car to air up above the preset? My front bags will often air up to 43-45 psi instead of my selected 40?
2. Do you recommend upgrading to the Steeda rear shock mounts? I had them for my Steeda pro action shocks but I had to use the OEM mounts for these struts since they're 10mm vs the 12mm on the Steeda struts.
3. Is it possible to fit a 325/30/19 on the rear? That was my original plan as 295 is kinda stretched looking on 11.5s, but now I'm worried about clearance. I'll stick to a 305 if I must but would rather have the meaty tire look.
1. No idea. I deliberately avoided a pressure based system for good reasons.
2. I wouldn’t stress about the mounts. However, I’m pretty sure Steeda offer their mount in two different sizes if you really want to pursue it. Or, maybe you could simply sleeve the damper (10mm ID, 12mm OD)
3. You can make anything “fit”. The question is, How much extra negative camber will you need to use in order to get it to tuck into the guard when you air out?
Based on my experience with a 295/35/20 on 11” +50 wheel (sits ~1mm further inboard than your setup if all else is equal), I’d say it’s a bad idea.
Others may have different experiences of course.

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
This might provide you with a bette visual reference.
11” +50, 295/35/20, -2.2* camber at ride height.
Tyre is pictured at the height where the bump stops start to come into play (Eg. Not completely aired out), IRS subframe is perfectly centred.
Now try and add another 15mm in tyre width (per side).
You’ll need to add a fair bit of negative camber to make that work.
ED51C17B-F7EF-4271-B2AB-389155C0FAA9.jpeg

OP
OP
Miadhawk

Miadhawk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang EcoBoost
1. No idea. I deliberately avoided a pressure based system for good reasons.
2. I wouldn’t stress about the mounts. However, I’m pretty sure Steeda offer their mount in two different sizes if you really want to pursue it. Or, maybe you could simply sleeve the damper (10mm ID, 12mm OD)
3. You can make anything “fit”. The question is, How much extra negative camber will you need to use in order to get it to tuck into the guard when you air out?
Based on my experience with a 295/35/20 on 11” +50 wheel (sits ~1mm further inboard than your setup if all else is equal), I’d say it’s a bad idea.
Others may have different experiences of course.
Many thanks for your input, I want apologize for taking so long to reply, COVID-19 means a hectic life for those deemed "essential!"

Are you using Airlift 3H or another management system? Recalibrating the system resolved the issue of the front bags going above the target pressure for me. I'm on the fence about ordering height sensors and getting things 100% accurate.

Thanks for providing that picture for reference, I definitely do not want to run a goofy amount of camber to make 325s fit. Looks like I'll have to switch wheels at some point!
Sponsored