Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT Premium PP
Hey guys,

been reading a lot about guys putting tires on their car for tracking and whatnot. I'm thinking from a DD perspective, what tires would be the best. I'm also looking at giong to 265 in the front and 285 in the back, is that smart or not? If I did that, would it still be 265/40/19 and 285/40/19?

I've heard the Michelin PSS have little tread life, and are pretty expensive.

The PZero's are pretty expensive too, I'd go with PSS before them again.

However, there is this continental DW tire, that's the same specs as stock and has great reviews everywhere I look for the 255/40/19 and 275/40/19 tire.

Please note i'm not looking for a huge tread life, I'm looking for a balance between the absolute best performing tire and the most longest tread life.

I appreciate the advice.:cheers:
Brice
Sponsored

s4-to-15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 gt black perf pack 6mt
you just answered your own question : Michelin pilot super sports

I think bf Goodrich comp 2's might be a good alternative also.

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Michelin PSS are not short on tread life. They'll get you more life than pretty much anything else you can buy that is a truly grippy summer tire, only beaten perhaps by the Conti DW. PSS is the best all around tire out there.

I got 45,000 out of my last set and that was with 3 autocrosses and a track day.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Michelin PSS are not short on tread life. They'll get you more life than pretty much anything else you can buy that is a truly grippy summer tire, only beaten perhaps by the Conti DW. PSS is the best all around tire out there.

I got 45,000 out of my last set and that was with 3 autocrosses and a track day.
Really? That's awesome to hear, I have heard so much about them, but was reading online that their tread life wasn't very long. I'd love to buy them if I could get around 30k miles out of them. I appreciate the help

s4-to-15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Michelin will give you 30k warranty for square setup(rotatable),or 15k warranty if staggered.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
Michelin will give you 30k warranty for square setup(rotatable),or 15k warranty if staggered.
Why is that cut in half for staggered? i've got the PP, so I'll be 9 in front and 9.5 in rear. I'm debating trading someone for their fronts, to put on my rears to be a 9 all around because of the reason you've stated. Should I expect the tires to last half as long if i stay stock?

s4-to-15gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yes, if you're not going to able to rotate them.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
yes, if you're not going to able to rotate them.
Aint that a bitch. No point switching them side to side? This makes me want to go squared.

krahooligan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the dw are all weather essentially. better in the rain then the sun.
go with PSS or the sport cup 2.
I personally went with Pzero again because they aren't a bad tire and they were on sale at tire rack for 200 even. hell of a deal.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I have never run PSSs, only PS2s, which are similar but not quite as fancy. They lasted about 20k on an Infiniti G35. Fronts wore out first. They had a horrible harmonic to them that I just couldn't stand. A loud "thrumming" sounds at low speed, so every time you'd stop.

OP, your size will be dictated by overall diameter. If you want a wider tire, it will need to be a lower aspect ratio to maintain overall diameter. You might get away with 265/40 on the front, but 285/40 will be a little tall in the back. Enough that you would notice the gearing change.

Sponsored

Cloak

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350R Shadow Black
Vehicle Showcase
Gear Ratio in relation to Tire size.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this question has been running through my mind for a while.

The GTs have squared setup wheels/tires, unless it's a Performance Package. (235/50r18, 255/40r19, and 265/35r20). All of these tires have a overall diameter between 27.1" to 27.4". Now, on those models, the highest gear ratio you could get is a 3.55. The performance package comes with 3.73s.

Now my question is; wouldn't increasing the low 27" diameter to 27.7" (pp rear) effectively negate some of the benefit of going with shorter gears? According to my calculations; if the GT PP came with 255/40r19 squared, and you switched out the rear to a 275/40r19, your effective gear ratio would be 3.65.

Now the confusing part is, what tire diameter is optimal for the 3.73s? a 27" or closer to a 28"?

v7ili6j.png

Cheezebandit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dusty
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If you want a pair of pp front wheels I'd love a pair of back wheels to run a 9.5 square set up

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
the dw are all weather essentially. better in the rain then the sun.
go with PSS or the sport cup 2.
I personally went with Pzero again because they aren't a bad tire and they were on sale at tire rack for 200 even. hell of a deal.
Ahh gotcha, I thought the DW was similar performance, but from hearing what others are saying, the supersports are the way to go. I'll look into the sport cup 2 as well, if that's a bit cheaper. I'm not racing constantly or anything.

I have never run PSSs, only PS2s, which are similar but not quite as fancy. They lasted about 20k on an Infiniti G35. Fronts wore out first. They had a horrible harmonic to them that I just couldn't stand. A loud "thrumming" sounds at low speed, so every time you'd stop.

OP, your size will be dictated by overall diameter. If you want a wider tire, it will need to be a lower aspect ratio to maintain overall diameter. You might get away with 265/40 on the front, but 285/40 will be a little tall in the back. Enough that you would notice the gearing change.
Really, so you have had some bad experience with PS2? Maybe I'll just look at PSS and then DW if that doesn't work out.

As far as size is concerned, thanks for that help, I wasn't sure exactly how that all works. So maybe 265/40/19 or 285/35/19. I'd like to go wider, but maybe I'll just stick with the 255/40/19 and 275/40/19..

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this question has been running through my mind for a while.

The GTs have squared setup wheels/tires, unless it's a Performance Package. (235/50r18, 255/40r19, and 265/35r20). All of these tires have a overall diameter between 27.1" to 27.4". Now, on those models, the highest gear ratio you could get is a 3.55. The performance package comes with 3.73s.

Now my question is; wouldn't increasing the low 27" diameter to 27.7" (pp rear) effectively negate some of the benefit of going with shorter gears? According to my calculations; if the GT PP came with 255/40r19 squared, and you switched out the rear to a 275/40r19, your effective gear ratio would be 3.65.

Now the confusing part is, what tire diameter is optimal for the 3.73s? a 27" or closer to a 28"?
This just confuses me. Lehmans terms brotha.

If you want a pair of pp front wheels I'd love a pair of back wheels to run a 9.5 square set up
Might be interested, I'd rather do the 9.5 squared, but I don't wanna run spacers in the front. I'll look into this more and let you know, as I'd like to figure this situation out before my next tire swap.

ZIGZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium PP
I'm really interested in the new Nitto NT555 G2 coming out soon as my PZero replacements.

OP
OP
Brice80

Brice80

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brice
Vehicle(s)
I'm really interested in the new Nitto NT555 G2 coming out soon as my PZero replacements.
What size are you going to run on those? I've read lots about Nitto's but don't know much about their tread life and whatnot.
Sponsored