Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Has anyone confirmed if Google Maps navigation will work on Android Auto if the car was NOT equipped with Nav from the factory? I hope that Google Maps can use the phones GPS. Its probably more accurate than a car based one anyway due to tower triangulation, GPS, and GLONASS all working together.
Nothing confirmed, i thin kits too early, your talking about an upgrade thats 9-12 months away. As far as I know, The point of the mirroring from either apple of android is to use the screen of the car for the phones ability. I never heard of not allowing the Nav on a non nav equipped car.
Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Nothing confirmed, i thin kits too early, your talking about an upgrade thats 9-12 months away. As far as I know, The point of the mirroring from either apple of android is to use the screen of the car for the phones ability. I never heard of not allowing the Nav on a non nav equipped car.
I did multiple times that to use phone navigation you have to have the nav module, but it was nothing but rumors.

It actually makes sense, otherwise car manufacturers are giving up some of their income - nobody would buy built-in nav. Guess need to wait and see...

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
[ame]

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Looks like you will not need Navigation embedded in the APIM to have the maps app in carplay.. this video is a car with sync 3 without navigation..

Burger2002

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
^ Good find. It looks like that car didn't have built in nav as there was a compass icon on the sync home screen. Looking forward to Google maps and Google music.

Sponsored

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
My wife and I just ordered (Yesterday) a GT 401A Premium with Nav.

Did we just waste $742? Should I cancel the Nav on the order as it seems the Android works now on these systems?

I am struggling with why we need NAV built in when we have been using the phones so often now...

We originally thought it was a good idea to have it. But with the last clip it looks like it is a $742 waste of money. ($742 invoice price, not the MSRP $795 price)

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500

Did we just waste $742? Should I cancel the Nav on the order as it seems the Android works now on these systems?

I am struggling with why we need NAV built in when we have been using the phones so often now...

We originally thought it was a good idea to have it. But with the last clip it looks like it is a $742 waste of money. ($742 invoice price, not the MSRP $795 price)

No.. it is not a waste.. car play and the google offering wont be available except for some 2017 models and you will have to wait for Ford to offer it as a software update.. Plus Nav is more integrated from the factory.. Voice commands work.. I know siri has voice but.. what about if your phone goes dead.. data requirements.. no cell service.. I don't know.. I think that its always better to have nav.. and although I did see that video I posted.. that I not set in stone yet.. so I don't think you wasted anything.. I think you did what is best..

Barry626

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang 2.3L

NOT at all as you'll have "Points of Interest" & many other options that CarPlay & Android Auto won't have. Nav. buyers will have BEST of both systems :hail:

5.0 Probie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT
Thank you for you reply's!

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Rumor is nav on the Android Auto/Apple Car Play will work only if you have a car with built in nav. If it turns true, they you definitely did not wasted your $742.

Old Guard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Guard, MT, 400A, 455, 648, 13D
Won't need built in NAV. Don't spend the money on Ford NAV!

chrsschb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 WRX
For someone without a Sync 3 car how difficult is it to just install an aftermarket headunit (with android auto) and integrate all the steering wheel controls?

I haven't installed a radio in a car since 2003 so I'm a bit out of the loop haha.
Sponsored