NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

statusnone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1
Also, Google confirmed that it should have been the last update that waze started to work with sync 3, https://support.google.com/waze/answer/7677401?hl=en&ref_topic=7406710
Using 4.37 Waze and the newest 3.0 Sync3 update. Absolutely cannot get my car to recognize any apps, except FordLink app. Not even Spotify. Tried everything I could think of, still no go. Not sure what the deal is but you’re right, it should be working.

Edit: Wow, just kidding. Just went into my car and it popped up on the bottom of the screen and now it’s working.
Sponsored

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Convertible GT & 2017 Edge Titanium
Ugh, how are you guys getting this to work! So jealous!

FYI: I heard Spotify dropped Applink.

However, AccuWeather is working and so was Dominos Pizza (but I deleted dominos last night). Right after I installed v3 I installed some other 3rd pary Nav app and it worked (do not recall the name - I did not really like it).

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
got this on Twitter:
2018-04-17_11-45-18.jpg

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
well, mine showed up. However, it only showed up when I was connect/using carplay and then toggled carplay to disabled in Sync Settings (while I was still connected to sync on iphone).

I then turned turn off the car (mustang 2016), reconnected and waze did not appear. I toggled carplay back on, then back off (while being connected) and it appeared again.

fordxgt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 XLT 5.0L V8
Vehicle Showcase
The folks at the F150 forum say you have to have CarPlay disabled for all phones you have set up on Sync and then it should work. They also say if you unplug your phone and plug it back in, it won't work unless you completely kill the app from the app switcher (can't leave it on in the background after unplugging it)

Sponsored

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
well, my daughter's iphone is "carplay" enabled. that could be some of it but I clearly stumbled on getting it to show up with hers still enabled (because I have not thought to disable hers).

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I got Waze to work. I was only able to get it to work from a master reset of sync 3. I did NOT have the Waze app open. I plugged the phone in. A menu came up that asked what my preferred nav app was and I selected Waze. After that I opened the app on the phone and it started to work.

Also it is not that great because IF you close the app to say text or do anything else it stops functioning. It will display app in background. So until you are back in the app it will not display.

As far as unplugging and plugging back in I have no issue. You jus plug back in and it will come back in MY experience.

I have 3.0 18025 and 3.2 and it works same

For those having difficulty I would suggest the master reset and immediately pugging in and DISABLE CarPlay. It should work after that

Last edited:

asteele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo Titanium
After lots of fiddling, Waze is now working for me on iPhone Sync3 build 18025.

I read that CarPlay has to be disabled for all users, and I have all the family phones recognised in Sync3... so I rushed off to disable them all for CarPlay. I was a bit disappointed to find that they were all already disabled!

I plugged the iPhone in anyway, and Waze immediately appeared and works!

So maybe the fact that I went into each phones CarPlay settings was enough to enable it to work.

Sounds like Sync3 build 18025 still has a bug or two!

Anyway, in my quick play with Waze, it didn't seem at all slow - seems fine. I now have to decide if it want to use Waze this way, or through my BlackBerry and Android Auto instead!

statusnone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Anthony
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1
I think I’ll stick to Apple Maps for now. Waze is garbage in its first release. It’s slow and laggy. Like others have said, if you answer a text or have the app in the background, the app doesn’t work. And it also doesn’t utilize the entire screen so the resolution is awful and looks very squished together.

asteele

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mondeo Titanium
I've just been on a longer drive with it, and it wasn't slow for me... yes, you can't use your iPhone when it's running - which is the same as Android Auto as well. For some people (me included) - taking away the temptation to use my phone is a good thing!

I think I prefer running Waze through Android Auto - as I like the integration of the "pocket casts" app - and txt messages work for me for both send and receive. It's all integrated well, it's just a shame they have made android auto so basic (deliberately for driver safety) - maybe one day they will provide the driver some flexibility on this.

I prefer the look of Sync3, but txt messaging doesn't work and there is no podcast app, so I have to Bluetooth to the phone and operate the phone for podcasts - android auto removes the hassle with that.

Sponsored

ryanr24

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
Ford said waze would work in sync 3.0. I don’t understand why people keep saying it will not work on CarPlay. No duh. Apple will probably never allow waze on CarPlay.

chewy2314

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - DIB - Auto
FWIW, Waze initially started and then it disappeared from the list of available mobile apps on Sync. Reconnecting did not work. Normally I use a 3rd party lightning cable. So I tried OEM cable and Waze was detected again. Gave it a quick 30 sec run and found that Waze does not show in the “quadrant” mode or view; just the Waze icon shows. I hope this will change and I prefer that view.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
There are waze people vs iPhone maps people,.. I'm one of the Ford oem people..I did the sync3 nav upgrade to 1.16, very happy with it, now travel link works on side streets too.. however it rolled my gracenotes to 806

Odie3

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
There are waze people vs iPhone maps people,.. I'm one of the Ford oem people..I did the sync3 nav upgrade to 1.16, very happy with it, now travel link works on side streets too.. however it rolled my gracenotes to 806
What's this 1.16 Sync3 Nav upgrade?

RawisTheGameHhH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Conv't