Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

eddison

@Cathul Please share this tool or link to the Ford server
It’s not as easy as just running the tool and updating to 3.2. You need to update the calibration and several other steps. I bricked an APIM this week trying to get it to work, so be warned if you aren’t confident you can revive a dead APIM should something go wrong...
Sponsored

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
It’s not as easy as just running the tool and updating to 3.2. You need to update the calibration and several other steps. I bricked an APIM this week trying to get it to work, so be warned if you aren’t confident you can revive a dead APIM should something go wrong...
Some people in the German Mustang6 forum have done the update and no calibration was necessary.
It's a two step process. Both steps need a separate USB stick. First stick with only the reformat tool and a corresponding autoinstall.lst file, second stick with all the necessary software packages and maps (if running a navigation system which is standard in the EU) and a corresponding reformat.lst file.
I don't know if the necessary apps, voice packages, grace notes and map packages are already available for the US models, therefor i don't know if i should share the tool and software packages. I don't want to be the one causing you all to brick their APIMs. :(

(But here is the link to the German Mustang6 forum thread.

I know i know, it's all german, but google translate is quite good in translating german to english. ;))

Link removed... you need an active account in the forum to read it.... :(

File name for the reformat tool is:
1U5T-14G386-CB.tar.gz

I won't provide the autoinstall.lst for this tool as i don't know if the necessary apps, voice, grace note, nav_voice and maps are available for US APIMs.

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE
Didn't realize a reformatter utility somehow made it's way out there...that's basically an engineering only tool. If you can somehow use it, then yeah you could get the partition size changed to allow it, but you're still going to be running with an incompatible VMCU if it's an older module. That can cause problems by itself.

Cathul

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Seems to be working for most of the guys that tested it yet. But unclear is if you can roll back to 3.0 if you got problems.
And i must correct myself... If you want to use some of the enhanced features (like logos for radio stations in Digital Audio Broadcasting) you need to upgrade the firmware on the APIM units to newer ones.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

UofMEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' FE, 20' FE

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Somebody important must've gotten lost.
They still might. Can't see paying $100+ to still be over 18 months out of date. I get free Here map updates on my phone quite often. I get Here can't sell my comings and going in the car like in my phone so it won't be free. Sounds like maybe Ford is paying Here for the 2018+.

18 month is just too old and that's the day you install it. If you update once a year, it will be over 30 months out of date before each update.

Only way I would update the maps in my car is if I could get up to date maps once a month (or more often). I might pay $100/year for that. Here even updates map files rather than replacing them, so the server bandwidth isn't all that much since only new roads. $100 for 18 (minimum) to 30 month old maps is not worth it for me.

Sponsored

GenXGeekDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP MM
I keep seeing people asking for the update package , that have a '17 non-nav system and owner.ford.com update site says that no update is available.

Anyone have ideas on how to get non-Nav , '17s to update if the website says one is not available? I am on Sync3 v2.3 and would like to get to 3.x

Any input would help.

Multitask

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2020 MKZ Hybrid
I keep seeing people asking for the update package , that have a '17 non-nav system and owner.ford.com update site says that no update is available.

Anyone have ideas on how to get non-Nav , '17s to update if the website says one is not available? I am on Sync3 v2.3 and would like to get to 3.x

Any input would help.
That just means that a version of Sync for you is not available for your car... 2.3 should be able to get to 3.0 though for a 17

Check the wrecking yards for a VIN from another 2017 mustang at car-part.com , and see if when you add it in the owner.ford.com site it tells you 3.0 is available....

I could see that you were on 3.0 17xxx and the site said that 18xxx was not available... but not 2.3 to 3.0

GenXGeekDad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP MM
That just means that a version of Sync for you is not available for your car... 2.3 should be able to get to 3.0 though for a 17

Check the wrecking yards for a VIN from another 2017 mustang at car-part.com , and see if when you add it in the owner.ford.com site it tells you 3.0 is available....

I could see that you were on 3.0 17xxx and the site said that 18xxx was not available... but not 2.3 to 3.0
Thanks for the advice. I tried the idea, was able to download, but was for NAV systems. I have a non-Nav setup, and other non-Navs also did not return a v3.0 for download. I'm guessing its only out for Sync v3 w/Nav. I'll also assume I should not install the update w/NAV on a non-Nav setup.

Thanks again for the info..and tip.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks for the advice. I tried the idea, was able to download, but was for NAV systems. I have a non-Nav setup, and other non-Navs also did not return a v3.0 for download. I'm guessing its only out for Sync v3 w/Nav. I'll also assume I should not install the update w/NAV on a non-Nav setup.

Thanks again for the info..and tip.
Use the VIN of a car without NAV. It might be easier to find one at Cars.com or similar than salvage yards. I'm 99.9999% sure it doesn't hurt anything to add that VIN to your Ford Owner account long enough to download an update. You can remove it right after. I've had cars I've sold on my owners account for long after I sold them, If you think about it, that can't prevent new owners from adding them to their account. Ford can't block new owners OR demand proof of title before adding a vehicle. Hell, none of my vehicles are even titled in my name but a living trust.