Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I used a 4gb FAT32 formatted flash drive. I had to redo it 3 times and received the confirmation each time. I may not have been turning my car off for long enough for Sync to fully shut down the first two times though.
Sponsored

EpicBlueStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT prem
264rme9.jpg

This what I'm talking about, AA is working. Version is showing wrong. I should get my USB is the mail today. I'll check if CarPlay is working after that.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I have Navi. I used the leaked update via 8GB drive. Took 20 minutes.

Within a week I logged into owner account and saw the official version. I put that on a 4GB drive, and it updated in 5 minutes. I didn't see the new version, so I did the soft reset. But I don't think that was necessary, because I forgot to switch the car Off/On first. :doh:

I haven't checked for Gracenote version yet. I still spin CD's. I should get USB music going instead. More portable, but more work.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Now ford owner realized the importance exfat and larger gb stick

Make sure the USB storage drive:

• is empty
  • can hold at least 32 GB of data
  • is not password protected
  • is formatted exFAT

Sponsored

khannected

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sohaib
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT
yes. In another place it says 2GB (which is too small for non-nav).

An 8GB drive formatted in FAT32 works just fine.
No, last I checked it said 2gb or 4gb, I dont remember which. I'm sure a smaller capacity drive will work but just putting it out there that they have now listed 32gb as a requirement. This is probably to negate any chances of the update failing due to drive size.

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
No, last I checked it said 2gb or 4gb, I dont remember which. I'm sure a smaller capacity drive will work but just putting it out there that they have now listed 32gb as a requirement. This is probably to negate any chances of the update failing due to drive size.
likely a CYA, but 8 GB drive is plenty.

The original .PDF released for Lincolns said 32GB on the cover (same top page as the one you linked to) back in December. Then later says "at least 2GB". Which was fine for Lincolns as they all have NAV.

I think the biggest issue is people using the "extract all" command instead of "extract..." or following the "open, copy, paste" method. "Extract all" will also extract the compressed tarballs (.tar.gz) and leave you with a SyncMyRide folder full of prematurely uncompressed files.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I used a 64g stick formatted to fat32, also had about 30g of music on it.........

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Installed it yesterday with minimal issues. Downloaded file from Ford owner site. It attempted to load for 30 min. After that I did "master reset" and tried again. This time it uploaded completely in about 5 minutes. Also, the master reset didn't seem to reset anything except it changed my clock by an hour and changed my treble/bass/mid back to factory setting. All my other personalized settings remained in Sync.

Connecting my phone did not work with a generic usb cable to my Samsung S6. I tried again with my phone's OEM cable and it started Android Auto with no problem. The car screen initially said it could not load Android Auto when I connected my phone, but when I looked at the phone there were just a few screens I had to click through to accept privacy policies, etc.

Overall, I doubt I will use Android Auto for anything because for my purposes - Sync, Nav, a flash drive with my music, and my phone connected via BT seem to have everything covered for now.

Thanks for all the how-tos in this thread.

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Overall, I doubt I will use Android Auto for anything because for my purposes - Sync, Nav, a flash drive with my music, and my phone connected via BT seem to have everything covered for now.

Thanks for all the how-tos in this thread.
have you ever used google maps for navigation? it pretty much blows anything else out of the water, which then would make me ask, why did you bother updating?

Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
have you ever used google maps for navigation? it pretty much blows anything else out of the water, which then would make me ask, why did you bother updating?
Yep. The benefit will become more obvious later as the OEM navigation maps become out of date. Apple Maps and Google Maps are updated frequently and include traffic.

Just remember, just like every picture is "of the past", every map is already out of date. You just want the one that is less out of date.

Stripler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang
Yes, I have used Google Maps and it is better than Ford's nav, but I rarely use GPS since I tend to know where I'm going before I start the car.

I updated because I wanted to see how it compared to Sync and then I'd have the option to use whichever one I liked more. I do like Google Maps and think phone based infotainment systems are the future, just not sure if Android Auto is useful to me right now.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
here is the updated instructions

SYNC 3 should automatically initiate the software update installation process. Once it starts, wait for the update files to completely install.

Installing the update files to SYNC 3 should take about 30 minutes.

Do not remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle while this update is in progress.

Shortly after installation has begun, SYNC may quickly display “Installation Complete.” Ignore this message. It refers to a specific phase of the installation, not the overall update process. The system will reboot, which takes several minutes. Do not attempt to use SYNC during this time. After the system reboots, SYNC will display a pop-up requesting the owner set up Automatic System Updates, please press “Ask Me Later”.

Approximately 10 minutes later (timing may vary per update), SYNC will display “Installation Complete” and request the owner to remove the USB drive from the USB port and perform a complete ignition cycle.

It is now safe to remove your USB drive and turn off your vehicle. The vehicle is required to be completely off for at least 5 minutes.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
3. In regards to reporting the installation back to Ford website-
I went back to Ford website to 'report' the installation.
It requires you to upload an *.xml file that gets generated into your USB memory stick.
When I select my *.xml file to upload, I get an upload error message.

The directory that Ford website generates for your file location, it points to wrong place.

I even made a directory in C: drive called "fakepath" that the Ford website keeps generating when you select the file to upload. But no dice on that either.

I guess I will need to wait until Ford figures that out and fixes it when they realize no one is reporting back successful installations.
Has anyone else gotten this "fakepath" error? If so, how did you get past it?

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Yes, I have used Google Maps and it is better than Ford's nav, but I rarely use GPS since I tend to know where I'm going before I start the car.

I updated because I wanted to see how it compared to Sync and then I'd have the option to use whichever one I liked more. I do like Google Maps and think phone based infotainment systems are the future, just not sure if Android Auto is useful to me right now.
yeah I get that, I rarely go places I need navigation for as well, but it's amazing when I do, not to mention the voice recognition of Google for requesting music is leaps and bounds better than Sync, but the ability to browse my thumb drive through Sync is a bonus, where as you can't on Google music on AA, so they both have ups and downs
Sponsored