Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP
Non-nav 2016 Mustang Sync 3 v1.0 Gracenote V1.1.1.615 (NA-0010)

1) Got the HU5Z-19A387-A
2) Installed it
3) Got FAT32 formatted USB 8GB
4) Installed 1st file (autoinstall + syncmyride on USB) from Mirror Link
5) Removed everything from other USB port
6) Started car.
7) After 1 minute plugged in USB.
8) Says "downloading software". Yeay!
9) Then the wait. 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes....40 minutes....WTF.....finally, 50 (fifty!) minutes later it is still 'downloading' -- too afraid to pull USB.
10) Gain balls. Turn off car, pull USB go in house
11) Delete USB
12) Format USB with FAT32 again
13) Download file from Ford link (not mirror link this time)
14) Unzip file and place on USB as shown below
15) Installing for 40 minutes. Nothing.
16) Go on PC and type this

Help appreciated. Am I not unzipping these files far enough or could this be my cheap $15 USB thumb drive?
sync3.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
So did Ford unofficially release this to make a group of beta testers, or did someone hack it?

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Non-nav 2016 Mustang Sync 3 v1.0 Gracenote V1.1.1.615 (NA-0010)

1) Got the HU5Z-19A387-A
2) Installed it
3) Got FAT32 formatted USB 8GB
4) Installed 1st file (autoinstall + syncmyride on USB) from Mirror Link
5) Removed everything from other USB port
6) Started car.
7) After 1 minute plugged in USB.
8) Says "downloading software". Yeay!
9) Then the wait. 10 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes....40 minutes....WTF.....finally, 50 (fifty!) minutes later it is still 'downloading' -- too afraid to pull USB.
10) Gain balls. Turn off car, pull USB go in house
11) Delete USB
12) Format USB with FAT32 again
13) Download file from Ford link (not mirror link this time)
14) Unzip file and place on USB as shown below
15) Installing for 40 minutes. Nothing.
16) Go on PC and type this

Help appreciated. Am I not unzipping these files far enough or could this be my cheap $15 USB thumb drive?
[MENTION=26184]defector[/MENTION]
Hmmmm I haven't heard this issue before, seems like whichever version we do it runs just fine, the only thing thats different about yours is the USB drive, if its a 3.0 it will install faster.

3.0 will have a blue interior, 2.0 will appear white/black interior inside the slot

usb_3.jpg

and here's a non-nav tutorial:thumbsup::thumbsup:

[ame]

Boddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
Ok, so I got it to work. After I installed some new parts I got and a new tune. I went into the app on my device and removed all known cars. I also removed the phone from the car including blue tooth. Used the USB cable for my SCTx4 and the car seemed to start everything up fine without freaking out. Restarted the car a few times, and drove it around for a half an hour and everything seems good.

I find it hard to believe that the previous 3 cables were the culprit, but that could be the case. Its weird to me knowing that their construction is rather simple usually only differing based on wire gauge (unless we are talking different USB versions). I guess a larger gauge wire can take more power but I still find it odd.

Either way it seems to be good to go now! :cheers:

Sponsored

viperbri

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium Fastback PP
Success with Android Auto update

My Sync 3 update was a breeze. So far the few things I have tried ("Ok, Google", Google Maps, and my Podcast program) work seamless on it.

I am glad I did spring for the NAV package. Google Maps on the Sync screen is so much better.

Thanks for everyone's tips on this thread.:headbang:
20170120_201558.jpg
20170120_233216.jpg

defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HizliBullet/All,

I do appreciate the help. I feel like I'm at the finish line. I watched the video a couple of times before the install so I don't think I was missing much, but I'm going to try again today. I am a fairly patient and methodical guy and will try the install again, but it is clearly something is wrong with the way I'm doing this for some reason. These are my guesses. Feedback on my guess (Hizli or anyone) would be really appreciated -- especially feedback on these 4 points below because I THINK I thought of everything else.

1) My USB connection is the issue. Why would I expect that? A couple of times during the last loading of the 'Ford' version, I would get the a momentary change from 'Updating System Software' to 'connecting....', which makes me think if that USB comes momentary disconnected, the process starts over. A guess. Anyone else see 'connecting'?

2) USB 2.0 is the issue: The GT350 install that takes 15-17 minutes on USB 3.0 and I just found that the speed of USB 3.0 is at least 3 times faster. I downloaded, HD Tune to check the speed of my thumb drive and it is 20 MB/s vs. the 60-100 MB/s of my 1 TB file storage device on 2.0. Does this affect upload and download speeds? Does this make a 15 minute upload with USB 3.0 an upload of 45 minutes with USB 2.0 and I pulled out early (no jokes). I really am not technically savvy like that -- can't find an answer on the interweb -- but for a trip to CVS (local drugstore) for a USB 3.0 and $30....I am willing to find out. I assume most of y'all have USB 3.0. Why did I buy a USB from there for this? The USB 3.0's were locked up....ha!....probably for good reason. :) What do you guys(and gals) think? This make sense or nah?

3) WiFi Connected?: I am 99% sure that this is not necessary but I noticed that at 2:37 of the GT350 video the installer says '...so the wifi is connected...' and with the video you shared at 1:55, I think WiFi is connected. I don't see why that is necessary and the README doesn't say that this is required, but I noticed this. Is this required for some reason or am I just finding minutiae?

4) Unzipped level. In my root directory USB stick with the FORD install, I have the below in the top image. And in the SyncMyRide folder I have 6 tarball files in the format of tar.gz (zipped). The videos shown do not show that I have to unzip each -- it only just shows the:

1) autoinstall.lst file and the
2) SyncMyRide file in the USB root

and then goes right to...'so I'm going to show you how to install in the car next' but in post #2244 by 16DIBEBM -- he seems to indicate unzipping everything to the lowest level. Wish this was just a little more clear if heading to my car with the root directory ONLY looking like below (1st image) and what is in SyncMyRide (2nd image) is correct - I wish someone would say, yes or no if that is correct. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help - will check back in a few hours to see if anyone is out there who can help or I'm going to try next with a USB 3.0.

Jim
sync3.png

Last edited:

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
HizliBullet/All,

I do appreciate the help. I feel like I'm at the finish line. I watched the video a couple of times before the install so I don't think I was missing much, but I'm going to try again today. I am a fairly patient and methodical guy and will try the install again, but it is clearly something is wrong with the way I'm doing this for some reason. These are my guesses. Feedback on my guess (Hizli or anyone) would be really appreciated -- especially feedback on these 4 points below because I THINK I thought of everything else.

1) My USB connection is the issue. Why would I expect that? A couple of times during the last loading of the 'Ford' version, I would get the a momentary change from 'Updating System Software' to 'connecting....', which makes me think if that USB comes momentary disconnected, the process starts over. A guess. Anyone else see 'connecting'?

2) USB 2.0 is the issue: The GT350 install that takes 15-17 minutes on USB 3.0 and I just found that the speed of USB 3.0 is at least 3 times faster. I downloaded, HD Tune to check the speed of my thumb drive and it is 20 MB/s vs. the 60-100 MB/s of my 1 TB file storage device on 2.0. Does this affect upload and download speeds? Does this make a 15 minute upload with USB 3.0 an upload of 45 minutes with USB 2.0 and I pulled out early (no jokes). I really am not technically savvy like that -- can't find an answer on the interweb -- but for a trip to CVS (local drugstore) for a USB 3.0 and $30....I am willing to find out. I assume most of y'all have USB 3.0. Why did I buy a USB from there for this? The USB 3.0's were locked up....ha!....probably for good reason. :) What do you guys(and gals) think? This make sense or nah?

3) WiFi Connected?: I am 99% sure that this is not necessary but I noticed that at 2:37 of the GT350 video the installer says '...so the wifi is connected...' and with the video you shared at 1:55, I think WiFi is connected. I don't see why that is necessary and the README doesn't say that this is required, but I noticed this. Is this required for some reason or am I just finding minutiae?

4) Unzipped level. In my root directory USB stick with the FORD install, I have the below in the top image. And in the SyncMyRide folder I have 6 tarball files in the format of tar.gz (zipped). The videos shown do not show that I have to unzip each -- it only just shows the:

and then goes right to...'so I'm going to show you how to install in the car next' but in post #2244 by 16DIBEBM -- he seems to indicate unzipping everything to the lowest level. Wish this was just a little more clear if heading to my car with the root directory ONLY looking like below (1st image) and what is in SyncMyRide (2nd image) is correct - I wish someone would say, yes or no if that is correct. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help - will check back in a few hours to see if anyone is out there who can help or I'm going to try next with a USB 3.0.

Jim
WiFi is not necessary. Many updates have been done while commuting far out of WiFi range (including mine).

Your car does not have USB 3.0 capabilities. A USB3.0 drive will revert to USB 2.0 (or whatever spec the audio head unit has).

Your USB file hierarchy looks good if you have a non-Nav car. As mentioned a few posts back, the Nav cars only have 5 tarballs in the SyncMyRide directory. Make sure you're using the correct version of the update for your vehicle.

Make sure you format the 4+ GB USB flash drive in Fat32 or exFat.

There is a difference in USB flash media. If you're still having trouble, make sure you use a drive from a good mfg. SanDisk flash media is known to work. I'd imagine Kingston, PNY, and Samsung will all be reliable. I wouldn't use a drive you picked up at a conference or in a bargain bin if it doesn't specify the manufacturer.

defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you TexasRebel - appreciate all the answers. While you were typing this I already got a 32GB Lexar 3.0 USB - plugs in much nicer, so I hope that means better. Your feedback is appreciated. Will start over from the top and pull non-Nav files. Here goes nothing. I like trouble-shooting and fixing stuff...when you know you can eventually solve it with enough effort. Not much for electrical issues, so this is not quite that much fun. Will report back if this works.

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
HizliBullet/All,

Jim
For a non-nav car you should be doing your update in two parts. I don't know why you have that many files. Your first SyncMyRide directory should look like this:

Second SyncMyRide directory:

Sponsored

defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
HG Firehazard. Check the Ford link -- it is just one single file/step for Non-Nav and has all those files within as a single step (to my knowledge). Or am I wrong?

I did try the Mirror link first but even the 1st file didn't download successfully so I never got to step 2. The Ford download seems to have one extra 2 kb file. Weird. I will keep going back and forth until I figure this out.

Jim

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
HG Firehazard. Check the Ford link -- it is just one single file/step for Non-Nav and has all those files within as a single step (to my knowledge). Or am I wrong?

I did try the Mirror link first but even the 1st file didn't download successfully so I never got to step 2. The Ford download seems to have one extra 2 kb file. Weird. I will keep going back and forth until I figure this out.

Jim
Try and find the two part files to download. For some reason the Ford one isn't working for you, so you may as well try something different. Outside of it being an issue with your USB drive or USB port, it leaves little room for other problems besides bad data.

defector

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok. Trying the 2 part version next....crossing fingers.

Weird question -- Am I nuts? Download speed of "mirror version" on my slow (130 MB/s) WIFI is 30 minutes. Why wouldn't the upload speed be much longer if my car can only handle USB 2.0 (20 MB/s)?

Last edited:

HGFireHazard

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Weird question -- Am I nuts? Download speed of "mirror version" on my slow (130 MB/s) WIFI is 30 minutes. Why wouldn't the upload speed be much longer if my car can only handle USB 2.0 (20 MB/s)?
I believe you're confusing MB/s and Mb/s. 130 Mb/s roughly translates to 16 MB/s.

OP
OP
HizliBullet

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase

[MENTION]defector[/MENTION]
I found the perfect video, it was actually 3rd video down on the first page, step by step non nav update tutorial!!

[ame]
Sponsored