New Shelby Owner needing a bit of help

Bitten in '69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
19 GT350, 03 Cobra, 90 GT, 82 GT
Michelins are popular, but I prefer the Contis that I'm running.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
IIRC, usually in some States that reissue a VIN for a stolen recovery to be registered again, the VIN is their own State issued VIN. It usually isn't a repop of the actual vehicle VIN. You may want to check with whom you're working with to see exactly what VIN they will be tagging the car with from the State.

As for getting a replacement dash VIN - unless you know of someone who has the Ford metal plate, the correct punches or stamps with correct fonts, plus the correct "anti-theft" rosette rivets - you're pretty much out of luck there.

---

I've seen identifiable VIN labels, tags, plates, and misc etchings removed from stolen vehicles.

But I've never seen a dash VIN plate stolen by cutting out the lower section of the windshield. That's definitely a "Pro" who knows what they're doing and if not a Pro, then either the Insurance Co. who the car was originally insured with OR a salvage facility did that (and the removal of the B-pillar door tags).

Have you tried making contact with the original Insurance Co. who had it insured and recovered it to inquire about the missing dash VIN and B-pillar tags to see if that was part of their process?

As others said before me, a Pro thief would remove VINs like that to use/tag another similar vehicle - either a Non-Shelby Mustang body OR another stolen Shelby.... and if done, that car was most likely shipped off overseas. It would be highly unlikely that the stolen VIN is re-registered in the US, because once the vehicle was deemed stolen AND recovered, that VIN will ALWAYS have a theft history on it, period. Folks may be able to wash titles, but the VIN history in any Insurance Database, DMV database, NICB, and NMVTIS, it will never, ever be clean. So if someone were to try and re-register that missing VIN plate here in the US, they would be a huge red flag.

https://vehiclehistory.bja.ojp.gov/
https://www.nicb.org/

It looks like stolen VINs can be added to this worldwide Database:
https://digitpol.com/stolen-car-database/

Sponsored

OP
OP
effektz

effektz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
So those with the PS4, it doesnt come in the aspect size of 35 like the tires on the car now, just 30. Does the 30 increase the gap between the tire and fender?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I had ps4s for my 16 - They were same aspect ratio as stock except for then, there was no 315 but there is today.

OP
OP
effektz

effektz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Cleaned her up yesterday and I definitely like the lightning blue more once it’s waxed. However as I cleaned her up, I found more damage that was done. When I was trying to fix up the rear splash guard I saw that this wire cut near the exhaust. I was able to get a picture of the part numbers but nothing comes up when I search for it. Couldn’t really see where it went too but after playing around with it for a while, I think it’s a wire that controls the actuator for the exhaust (normal vs sport mode). When I flip the switch, it appears only the other side exhaust actually switches. Anyone know the name of this wire that I can search?

52F422E0-B56B-4E13-8F98-A60411682E18.jpeg

78307EE1-9ED3-4F4A-B7F0-71CABDC7ACE7.jpeg
ok so need a little sanity check here. I ordered a replacement cable for the one that was cut (pic above that has the green letters DC). This is the part I ordered

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts/ford-wire-assembly-fr3z14a411j

The picture on the site matches mine however the one I got says DD. The part number matches as the one on the site so I’m wondering if this is just the same part. Before I make the trip to Ford to ask, I was wondering if someone knew off hand?

C530E97F-8552-41E9-A671-4DA9608E982D.jpeg

Sponsored
OP
OP
effektz

effektz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Alright so come to find out that the exhaust cable that says DD replaces the cable labeled CD. Getting the old cable off is a pain, if anyone needs to do this, the trick is to pull and hold the red tab then pull the cable. It will feel like you didn’t move the red tab at all but that’s how it seems to be designed.

Update on the car, the VIN was finally replaced on the windshield so now car has all its VIN stickers replaced that were stolen off the car. Next week I am getting the windshield replaced and then have to get new tires put on. After that I can start the retitle process by getting an inspection. After the inspection comes registration where I will get my plates and finally be able to (legally) take her out for a very long and adrenaline filled run.

Also wanted to give a big shout out to @pilotgore and his oil changing kit! Man what a perfectly engineered solution to the oil change process. Not only did it make the process insanely quick, having no oil mess is a godsend. Honestly it should be something that Ford should offer as an option with these cars from the factory.

Lastly I know I’ve said it a couple times before, but I really bought this car as investment into future memories with my son. I appreciate all the help you guys have given me so far and wanted to share one of those memories from when he first saw the Shelby. To me just this picture alone is worth more than I could ever pay for one of these!
217B203F-484D-41AB-A712-D7E6D0487DE7.jpeg

pilotgore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A bunch
Alright so come to find out that the exhaust cable that says DD replaces the cable labeled CD. Getting the old cable off is a pain, if anyone needs to do this, the trick is to pull and hold the red tab then pull the cable. It will feel like you didn’t move the red tab at all but that’s how it seems to be designed.

Update on the car, the VIN was finally replaced on the windshield so now car has all its VIN stickers replaced that were stolen off the car. Next week I am getting the windshield replaced and then have to get new tires put on. After that I can start the retitle process by getting an inspection. After the inspection comes registration where I will get my plates and finally be able to (legally) take her out for a very long and adrenaline filled run.

Also wanted to give a big shout out to @pilotgore and his oil changing kit! Man what a perfectly engineered solution to the oil change process. Not only did it make the process insanely quick, having no oil mess is a godsend. Honestly it should be something that Ford should offer as an option with these cars from the factory.

Lastly I know I’ve said it a couple times before, but I really bought this car as investment into future memories with my son. I appreciate all the help you guys have given me so far and wanted to share one of those memories from when he first saw the Shelby. To me just this picture alone is worth more than I could ever pay for one of these!
217B203F-484D-41AB-A712-D7E6D0487DE7.jpeg
Thanks for the kind words, I’m glad you’re happy with the gear!

OP
OP
effektz

effektz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Ok final update. New windshield was installed today and then I trailered it to the DOT where it passed both DOT and state inspection today. Took all the documents for the car to get a rebuilt title to the county office. Was in and out within 5 minutes. Car is officially retitled, is now registered and has Texas plates! Looking forward to getting to take her out tomorrow for a good first run. The car sure sounds like it has some pent up frustrations she needs to take out on the road!
Sponsored