New Shelby Owner needing a bit of help

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
This is a very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing OP, looking forward to the updates, and going to do some looking for things on my car now. I didn't realize the engine info was under the coil covers for one.
Sponsored

CorralesR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R HR067
This is a very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing OP, looking forward to the updates, and going to do some looking for things on my car now. I didn't realize the engine info was under the coil covers for one.
Yes, this is an interesting thread. The updated engine is a big plus. So how many miles since the engine was replaced? I'm not sure how New Mexico would treat this car either because they do an in person visual of the VIN tags. Keep us posted on your progress in getting this titled and registered.

sukhoi_584th

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Colorado, 2019 GT350, 2022 Mach-E
It sounds like you probably don't need them, but there are almost certainly VIN stickers still on the car that you could find with some research and disassembly. I worked at the Camry factory in Georgetown a while ago and while my memory is hazy they stick on at least a half-dozen VIN stickers as soon as the frames come out of body paint. Some of them go in weird hard to access places like under the B-pillar trim, under the dashboard, and under the carpet. It seems like your car wasn't disassembled enough they would have found all those stickers.

OP
OP
effektz

effektz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Yes, this is an interesting thread. The updated engine is a big plus. So how many miles since the engine was replaced? I'm not sure how New Mexico would treat this car either because they do an in person visual of the VIN tags. Keep us posted on your progress in getting this titled and registered.
According to the OASIS report, the cars engine was replaced at 9,796 miles. The car currently has about 17k on it so a little more than 8k since motor has been replaced.

Also curious if you ever ran a Carfax on it? Might show some other maintenance history and ownership history
I didnt get a Carfax but I did do a ClearVin report on it and it did not show any service records which I thought was odd but it did show that it was stolen in Virginia and then recovered. However I am trying to figure out where I can find what city it was stolen in so I can get the police report which could help me piece together how the cars condition was when they recovered it (as in where the VIN plates removed at time of recovery).

Sponsored

OP
OP
effektz

effektz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Update

According to the OASIS report, the Transmission was also replaced at 4,346 miles. I am guessing this would be the reason why I cannot find the etched VIN plate on it.

Here is a summary of the OASIS report

854 Miles - Lever Gear Shifter was replaced
4346 Miles - Transmission was replaced (February 2019)
8319 Miles - Rear bumper replaced due to a new design O Bracket that makes the bumper fit better
9796 Miles - Engine Replaced (August 2021)

Also if anyone can share with me what the VIN plate looks like on the windshield it would be greatly appreciated! Looks like I am better off getting one made as the TX DOT will not put one in the windshield, rather they would put it in the door

OP
OP
effektz

effektz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
If you want it to look correct, you are going to want Ford to do it. Call Ford Performance and explain the situation. If they won't help you out, let me know and I'll make a phone call. And please don't be lazy about it, try to persuade Ford to do it. I really don't want to make that call unless I have to.
Well I called this afternoon and spoke to Ryan (same guy I spoke to previously when I called asking about a replacement). I explained to him my situation again that I just bought a GT350 that was previously stolen and the thiefs stole the chassis badge. I mentioned that I could send them a blank GT350 badge and if they could just stamp it with my car's chassis number. He said Ford "doesnt like to do that" because of Fraud Reasons and that if they stamped it they dont know what happened to that badge after that. I told him I understood however I can prove that my car was stolen and I offered that they could send the stamped plate back to my local Ford Dealer and Ill bring my car up there for them to put it on. That way they could verify that the car is indeed the one for this chassis plate and that it is in fact missing. He said he understood and went to talk to his supervisor. He came back and said the supervisor stated that Ford will not re-stamp any plate due to potential fraud reasons. The only exception is for a car that is delivered to a dealer and the plate was missing upon delivery. I again stated that I am willing to have the Ford dealer verify its the correct car and put it on and that I can prove it was stolen. Also told him all I am trying to do is return the car to how it was originally from the factory. Told him how I bought the car to work on with my son as he grows up and basically this car is never going to another persons garage ever. I practically begged for them to make an exception due to my circumstances. Still no dice. They both were very respectful and understanding but that I guess this is Fords Policy.

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Tomster found oil filters when no one else had them (I still use that shop for filters now actually, great group to work with). You might check with him since he did say he would help.

I am in your boat, I would want that plate back for sure.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I mentioned earlier but after auction fees and shipping, I paid a little less than $29k for it.

Also had a friend who was able to hook up a OBD reader and confirmed the VIN I have is what is showing in the ECU.

Also was able to obtain an OASIS report and it confirmed the engine was replaced in August 2021 by a Ford Dealer.

I am going to cal Ford Performance later today to see if they will stamp my chassis plate. I’ll let you know how it goes!

D2A05542-2053-4CFC-B726-FC7798FCB752.jpeg
wow! nice score!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Well I called this afternoon and spoke to Ryan (same guy I spoke to previously when I called asking about a replacement). I explained to him my situation again that I just bought a GT350 that was previously stolen and the thiefs stole the chassis badge. I mentioned that I could send them a blank GT350 badge and if they could just stamp it with my car's chassis number. He said Ford "doesnt like to do that" because of Fraud Reasons and that if they stamped it they dont know what happened to that badge after that. I told him I understood however I can prove that my car was stolen and I offered that they could send the stamped plate back to my local Ford Dealer and Ill bring my car up there for them to put it on. That way they could verify that the car is indeed the one for this chassis plate and that it is in fact missing. He said he understood and went to talk to his supervisor. He came back and said the supervisor stated that Ford will not re-stamp any plate due to potential fraud reasons. The only exception is for a car that is delivered to a dealer and the plate was missing upon delivery. I again stated that I am willing to have the Ford dealer verify its the correct car and put it on and that I can prove it was stolen. Also told him all I am trying to do is return the car to how it was originally from the factory. Told him how I bought the car to work on with my son as he grows up and basically this car is never going to another persons garage ever. I practically begged for them to make an exception due to my circumstances. Still no dice. They both were very respectful and understanding but that I guess this is Fords Policy.
You have two choices here. The first, which is the easiest, is to buy the 2017 chassis plate with a 2017 chassis number already on it. Although it is not your number, the plate is correct to the model year. Nobody is ever going to know the difference. Like I said, if it was a collectable GT350R, I wouldn't go that route. However, and I mean no disrespect, there would be no difference in my humble opinion to have the chassis plate with another chassis as long as it was true and correct to the model year of your GT350.

Now, the harder part is go get the plate stamped. I know it can be done, and I know the guy who got it done for another person. I just don't know if this person is going to be willing to stick his neck out for a complete stranger.

If you are saying you can't live without the 1000% correct chassis plate, then I will make the call.

Again, and I mean no disrespect, but if you try to take that to some shop to have a blank plate stamped, it isnt going to look right. If I was ever looking at that car, I would notice it right away. The letters and numbers are slightly depressed and are a certain font. Anyone will immediately recognize it as not correct and you'd be better off having the wrong number chassis plate.

So with that said, decide.

Sponsored
OP
OP
effektz

effektz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
You have two choices here. The first, which is the easiest, is to buy the 2017 chassis plate with a 2017 chassis number already on it. Although it is not your number, the plate is correct to the model year. Nobody is ever going to know the difference. Like I said, if it was a collectable GT350R, I wouldn't go that route. However, and I mean no disrespect, there would be no difference in my humble opinion to have the chassis plate with another chassis as long as it was true and correct to the model year of your GT350.

Now, the harder part is go get the plate stamped. I know it can be done, and I know the guy who got it done for another person. I just don't know if this person is going to be willing to stick his neck out for a complete stranger.

If you are saying you can't live without the 1000% correct chassis plate, then I will make the call.

Again, and I mean no disrespect, but if you try to take that to some shop to have a blank plate stamped, it isnt going to look right. If I was ever looking at that car, I would notice it right away. The letters and numbers are slightly depressed and are a certain font. Anyone will immediately recognize it as not correct and you'd be better off having the wrong number chassis plate.

I really appreciate it but It's impossible for me to ask you to do that. I really respect that you would, but I don't want to put your friend in a uncomfortable position. Will it bother me? Yeah its going to drive my OCD nuts because I will know thats not my car but I certainly can live without it. I think anyone who plans to keep their car in their family for as long as possible would want to make sure its as original as possible. I know this is just a normal GT350 to most people, but to me its a dream come true. Some people just see a chassis number, where I see a story I can tell my son about the history of this car, what makes it unique and what makes it different than any other one he ever sees.

So far this car has provided me a library of stories to tell when he gets older and I have only owned it a couple weeks!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate it but It's impossible for me to ask you to do that. I really respect that you would, but I don't want to put your friend in a uncomfortable position. Will it bother me? Yeah its going to drive my OCD nuts because I will know thats not my car but I certainly can live without it. I think anyone who plans to keep their car in their family for as long as possible would want to make sure its as original as possible. I know this is just a normal GT350 to most people, but to me its a dream come true. Some people just see a chassis number, where I see a story I can tell my son about the history of this car, what makes it unique and what makes it different than any other one he ever sees.

So far this car has provided me a library of stories to tell when he gets older and I have only owned it a couple weeks!
Post removed, OP and I are working on the issue.

Last edited:

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
I know this is just a normal GT350 to most people, but to me its a dream come true. Some people just see a chassis number, where I see a story I can tell my son about the history of this car, what makes it unique and what makes it different than any other one he ever sees.
Just a thought here, but what about making it a very personalized build by getting one of the blank OEM dash plaques and then having it stamped / engraved with your son's name or a project name that you both decide on.

Tatonka

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP, 2018 GT350SE, 2020 GT350 Heritage

[/QUOTE]
Why not just buy the plate with the incorrect number and then get the unmarked and have it stamped? That way you have a template for font etc and if you don't like it you have the one with wrong number. OP you can have both. There are lots of ways around this.

sublime1996525

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Very cool story and it sounds like you got a solid car. New motor and trans. Win!
Sponsored