New S550 2015 owner Exhaust/Downpipe Help

Lionheart4987

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang Ecoboost
Looking for some advice/knowledge if anyone can help me out! Would appreciate multiple inputs and some backing info because I'm trying to learn as I go here.
I'm looking at getting the MagnaFlow 19191 cat-back exhaust set, and probably going to get a set of 3" High Flow Catted Downpipes. I'm wondering if it makes much difference that the downpipes have a 2.25" converter piece to connect to the 2.25" end piece on the exhaust. By using this piece am I still going to be able to get the performance increase out of the setup or am I essentially defeating the purpose by getting an exhaust system that drops down to 2.25" where it connects to the downpipes? I appreciate any help and advice!
Sponsored

Jaymar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaymar
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT/CS - Rapid Red
The short answer is no it won't limit anything. The high flow cat itself will allow shorter spool times for the turbo under some circumstances but mostly exhaust changes on this motor don't gain any appreciable amount of power. By the time the exhaust reaches that point in the system it has cooled enough that the 2 1/4" section is not enough of a restriction to matter. It will eliminate the factory weak, wet-noodle sounding exhaust which is much needed though.

Vicr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vic
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a CVF catted down pipe and the MagnaFlow catback street exhaust and can testify to extremely quick spooling and 20psi boost without going WOT. The speed shop that installed my downpipe had to do a little modification to connect the 3" down pipe to the 2 1/2" MagnaFlow exhaust.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Bang for the buck:
MBRP catted downpipe.
rear O2 sensor spacer. ( you will pass inspections)

MBRP comes with an adapter.

might want.to forget the catback and just do a Y pipe.

you will have good sound and spooling, and quite effective for.future power adders.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
The short answer is no it won't limit anything. The high flow cat itself will allow shorter spool times for the turbo under some circumstances but mostly exhaust changes on this motor don't gain any appreciable amount of power. By the time the exhaust reaches that point in the system it has cooled enough that the 2 1/4" section is not enough of a restriction to matter. It will eliminate the factory weak, wet-noodle sounding exhaust which is much needed though.
This is correct. The small 2 1/4" section will have negligible results on power, but if you are particular about it, a muffler shop should be able to replace that bit with full 3" for under an hour's labor.
Sponsored