Status
Not open for further replies.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
I notice a few guys have been asking for results, so am posting up my experience today. The main reason I installed this intercooler and catch can is mainly for long term reliability of the car. The car does not have a tune and will not for the foreseeable future. My serious mod money goes into my 08. I will say that Danny was itching for me to let him loose on the car, LOL.

Went to DB Performance today. Filled the car with non-oxy 91 octane (what was available).

Bone stock, did 4 pulls in 5th and 1 final pull in 3rd. Stock tune hits the 120 mph limiter around 5,700 rpm. Danny did the 1 pull in 3rd stock and modded to extend the rpm out to see what would happen.

Installed the CPe intercooler and UPR catch can and repeated to see how the intercooler would perform. There is no tune on the car. I copied 4 of the runs into a spreadsheet to make looking at the results a little easier.

Well worth the money I think. This was on a dynojet dyno with the heavy roller option.

Didn't monitor iat on the dyno. Did do a nice pull on the way home and guage iat was 1 degree over ambient with no bump in gauge iat on the slow down, impressive.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Fiesta St, 1989 BMW 325i
I notice a few guys have been asking for results, so am posting up my experience today. The main reason I installed this intercooler and catch can is mainly for long term reliability of the car. The car does not have a tune and will not for the foreseeable future. My serious mod money goes into my 08. I will say that Danny was itching for me to let him loose on the car, LOL.

Went to DB Performance today. Filled the car with non-oxy 91 octane (what was available).

Bone stock, did 4 pulls in 5th and 1 final pull in 3rd. Stock tune hits the 120 mph limiter around 5,700 rpm. Danny did the 1 pull in 3rd stock and modded to extend the rpm out to see what would happen.

Installed the CPe intercooler and UPR catch can and repeated to see how the intercooler would perform. There is no tune on the car. I copied 4 of the runs into a spreadsheet to make looking at the results a little easier.

Well worth the money I think. This was on a dynojet dyno with the heavy roller option.

Didn't monitor iat on the dyno. Did do a nice pull on the way home and guage iat was 1 degree over ambient with no bump in gauge iat on the slow down, impressive.
Thank you very much for the feedback. Your results make perfect sense. You are most likely maxing out airflow down low, the ECU sees it and closes the throttle. At higher RPM's because the air is now much cooler than it was before, the ecu can keep a higher load and make more power without maxing out load.

Although the FMIC works great on the stock tune, as you showed, we highly suggest a tune with our FMIC as well as any other engine modifications in order to maximize your results.

In terms of long term reliability, you hit the nail on the head. Cooler air = less knock/detonation = happy engine.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience!

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
I can add a little data, not apples to apples but I think instructive.

Running a winter 93 tune with the stock IC on a dry 40 degree day I logged IAT2 temps of 20-23 deg F over ambient at the end of a 0-60 run.

Running a summer 93 tune with the cp-e IC on an 80 degree somewhat muggy day I logged IAT2 temps of 9-10 deg F over ambient at the end of a 0-60 run.

So the new cp-e FMIC cut the rise in IAT2 over ambient by nearly 60%, on a day that was twice as warm, running a hotter tune. Certainly not exhaustive, but shows what it can do I think.

Last edited:

Sponsored

OP
OP

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
Our FMIC sale of $100 drop off MSRP is almost over gents!

send me a PM if interested in this intercooler upgrade!

BOOSTED-SVO

In My Own Lane
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP SB M6
Did you guys reuse factory clamp or one CP-E provided? I reused factory clamps but I'm wondering which clamp is better.

Weather Man

Persistance is a Bitch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 I4 T Prem Auto
Used the new one.

doulos4jc

......looking^
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Mustang
Cp-e clamps good for ~1/2 whp...per clamp. Was a no brainier for me.

Sponsored

DB23

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T 200A Auto Ingot
Used the cp-e clamps, seemed a bit more robust plus why the hell not came with the IC and everything's apart anyway.

OP
OP

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
all PM's answered

thanks everyone for your business!

Brometheus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost Premium PP 6MT

TheLion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2016 Mustang GT PP 6-MT
Hello all, while I'm new to the forum and even mustangs, I just got a 2016 EB with 6MT and noticed an issue with the EB power train and I believe this thread is onto a solution as well as documenting the issue to a degree.

I did a few 1/4 mile passes and was really puzzled and frustrated by the 2-3 shifts. Once i'm back on the throttle in 3rd gear the EB just tanks, it has a very weak pull that seems well below what I would expect for 3rd gear given how strong it was in 2nd, 1/4 mile times reflect that in the mid 14's.

While most people would chalk it up to driver error, I'm not the only one (there are many others well) and we have consistent documented cases here: http://www.motortrend.com/news/ecoboost-mustangs-getting-slower/

Now this issue is most likely not as prevalent in cooler climates and here is why I believe that to be the case: inter-cooler saturation. At cooler ambient temperatures the inter-cooler not only is dealing with colder air going it, it also has higher density air with which to exchange heat to (increasing it's ability to transfer thermal energy while also dealing with less overall thermal energy to transfer).

With any heat exchanger, once it's saturated at a particular thermal load at a given ambient temperature, they can go into runaway because they can no longer adequately exchange thermal energy, so the excess thermal energy remains not only in the medium (air) but also raises the temperature of the exchanger itself. Thus having the opposite effect of actually heating the air after the over saturation conditions have been rectified (aka letting off the throttle) for a period of time until it sheds the excess thermal energy.

Here is great documentation by FFTEC illustrating the deficiency of the stock inter cooler on a factory EB. Yes I'm calling Ford out on this one and saying it's deficient, a legitimate design flaw which really hampers EB performance by creating an engine that is overly sensitive to environment (aka it only performs at factory spec in cool / cold weather). While I wouldn't expect them to size the inter cooler for power adding modifications, the inter cooler should be adequate to avoid saturation even under the most severe load and environmental conditions as it comes from the factory, including track use. I can take my old 2007 Focus ST (2.3L NA) with 175k miles on it, rag on it all day without heat issues or significant loss of power in 40F or 90F days. While it will perform better at the lower temps, it doesn't suffer a significant loss of performance as with the EB.

http://www.ecoboostmustang.org/foru...coboost-intercoolers-oem-garrett-private.html

A 1-4th gear pull is strenuous, but the exact kind of stress you would expect to see when driving on a track, drag strip or even spirited driving down back roads (for hours at a time). Consistency is paramount over raw performance in the majority of cases and it seems the factory EB configuration fails to deliver. These heating issues are also known on the Focus ST and there's loads of data on those as well.

By the way, for those of you looking to not only resolve these IC saturation issues with the CP-E Delta IC, but also looking to add performance without voiding the warranty, Ford Racing stated they expect the ProCal EB 2.3 tune to be out August 1st! They offer a CAI paired with the FordRacing ProCal tune, combine that with the Delta IC and the Mustang EB will be one heck of a great and CONSISTENT performer for about $1250 total. Not bad!

Perhaps Ron would be kind enough to comment on this information and proposed fix / upgrade path. BTW Ford Racing tech said an inter-cooler swap alone should not void the power train warranty. My EB has just a couple thousand on it, so fixing the issue while not voiding the warranty is my prime goal as is I suspect many other mustang EB owners.

Status
Not open for further replies.