gimmie11s

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Murica!
In your estimation are the 3.55s any faster than 3.15s in a stock car? I’m havin a really hard time finding this answer
How fast do you want to go?

In short, no more often than not. Definitely No on a FI application.

3.15 is what you want. Go back and read post 1 on this thread LOL. OP is flying with 3.15s.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
How fast do you want to go?

In short, no more often than not. Definitely No on a FI application.

3.15 is what you want. Go back and read post 1 on this thread LOL. OP is flying with 3.15s.

Yeah that is damn fast. I’m lookin to go as fast a 3.55 geared stock car under warranty

There seems to be a lot of hype about the 3.55’s but I can’t find any proof they’re faster.

2018GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Here is some arm chair 1/4 mile talk.

I would guess a stock 3.55 car would beat a stock 3.15 car. (With same traction and driver skill)

When FI is added and let’s say the car has 650-700 whp and a ton of low end torque then the car with the 3.15 will most likely win due to the traction issues. The rear end gear is a torque multiplier... the higher the number the more it multiplies. And when you have that much torque available the lower gear (higher number) is a waist ... of course depending on traction and torque output(and when the engine’s torque rpm curve).

I won’t ever forget reading about a Lingenfelter corvette that had crazy power(for the time), and them using a 3.08 gears to get the fastest 1/4 mile time.

You may already understand all of this and just wanting some real world examples, but this has always been an interesting topic for me. I’m also sure there are some engineers on here that could go into all kinds of formulas etc to explain it, but those are my simple thoughts. Basically power, power curve, transmission gearing, and traction are the variables to determine fastest rear end gear.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Yeah I agree with all that, I just have never seen a whole lot of proof that 3.55’s are better. I would love to though

Here is some arm chair 1/4 mile talk.

I would guess a stock 3.55 car would beat a stock 3.15 car. (With same traction and driver skill)

When FI is added and let’s say the car has 650-700 whp and a ton of low end torque then the car with the 3.15 will most likely win due to the traction issues. The rear end gear is a torque multiplier... the higher the number the more it multiplies. And when you have that much torque available the lower gear (higher number) is a waist ... of course depending on traction and torque output(and when the engine’s torque rpm curve).

I won’t ever forget reading about a Lingenfelter corvette that had crazy power(for the time), and them using a 3.08 gears to get the fastest 1/4 mile time.

You may already understand all of this and just wanting some real world examples, but this has always been an interesting topic for me. I’m also sure there are some engineers on here that could go into all kinds of formulas etc to explain it, but those are my simple thoughts. Basically power, power curve, transmission gearing, and traction are the variables to determine fastest rear end gear.

Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
3.15s are not slower lol. i went 11.90@119 bone stock in 1300+ DA on 91 octane with my 3.15s

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Wow! U sir are movin. Is just that the 3.55’s feel faster? I can’t seem to find any proof they’re actually faster

Tell me more- did you have drag mode? Any weight reduction?

3.15s are not slower lol. i went 11.90@119 bone stock in 1300+ DA on 91 octane with my 3.15s

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Wow! U sir are movin. Is just that the 3.55’s feel faster? I can’t seem to find any proof they’re actually faster

Tell me more- did you have drag mode? Any weight reduction?
no weight reduction. premium package. using drag mode. 3.55s probably do feel faster like any other shorter gears

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
I had a rental 400a non performance pack car with 3.15s for 2 weeks and my car is a 3.55 pp1 car. Definitely felt slower since it could barely chirp 2nd and 3rd in drag mode with the 235 all seasons, my pp1 spins 295's all the way through 2nd and 3rd on the same streets same conditions. Not sure if it was because the pp1 has the 3.55's or the suspension is harder and that makes it more prone to spinning in drag mode with the harsh shifts. But when traction isnt an issue I suppose they felt pretty similar. The shorter gearing was noticeable when getting back into my car. I think what gearing is actually fastest depends on your trap speed, but I actually found that I have a better 0-60 when I shift into 3rd before hitting 60. The extra shift actually seems to help its 0-60 time since with these cars in drag mode you basically accelerate harder during shifts than when just in gear.

Nos-pete

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang GT 5.0 A-10 Whipple Charged 989 RWHP....2020 Shelby GT500
Vehicle Showcase
I had a Whipple 19 a10 car. Sold it cause it stayed broke more than running. Bought a base 18 after that. I bought a new 18 that Ford bought back with just a few hundred miles on it. Now I have this one which will stay like it is for awhile so I can enjoy it
If you don’t mind me asking what was the reason ford bought it back? Lemon law?

Sponsored

qtrmiler2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
greg
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
What tire and fuel.Also what track and send a photo or them welds i may need a set.lol

Shnngns5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2019 GT, Velocity Blue 2019 GT
3.15 geared car felt slower, because it would barely chirp the factory tires..give me a break. Bone stock 3.15 gear car in the video, annihilating 305 nittos from a 10ish mph roll on. My wife has the identical car on factory 235 tires, and 3.15's, and it'll set traction control off on 3-4 shift in drag mode. I teat drove with a buddy, a brand new 401a pp1 car this weekend, with 3.55's, and it barely spun at all, barely a chirp from the pilot sports.

irmoviper

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium
What a great time man! I can't wait to have the tracks open back up to see what mine will do. I ran a 12.2 with about an extra 200-300 lbs (camera gear, car seat, food/drinks). Curious to see what she does now with the extensive mods I have put into her.

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
What does her car do on the 1-2 shift? Lol

3.15 geared car felt slower, because it would barely chirp the factory tires..give me a break. Bone stock 3.15 gear car in the video, annihilating 305 nittos from a 10ish mph roll on. My wife has the identical car on factory 235 tires, and 3.15's, and it'll set traction control off on 3-4 shift in drag mode. I teat drove with a buddy, a brand new 401a pp1 car this weekend, with 3.55's, and it barely spun at all, barely a chirp from the pilot sports.

Shnngns5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red 2019 GT, Velocity Blue 2019 GT
Spins until traction control intervenes, if you have it on. I was making that poat towards the guy who said he drove a 3.15 gear a10, and it wouldn't bark the factory 235's in drag mode, but his 3.55 car was somehow blisteringly faster or something.
Sponsored