Sponsored

New parts suggestions

scottmoyer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT and 2016 GT
Hey all, I need to get started on some upgrades for the '17 GT. I need some advice on parts as I've always been a stock guy and don't know what works best.

1st - Hood Struts - The hood shakes while cruising down the highway. I've adjusted the bump stops up and lowered the latch, which helped a lot, but I need more. I was reading here that the hood struts will also help. Is there one that's better than another? I've seen some that angle back towards the firewall, and others that angle towards the front of the car. Which design is the better/stronger design?

2nd - Shift Knob - I've heard some say that they purchased a new knob and it split while they were installing it. I see shift balls from less than $20 to around $100. Is there any difference in the name brand quality shifter balls, i.e. Steeda, Roush, Ford Performance, etc? I will probably stay away from the $20 shifter balls, unless someone mentions that there are quality ones at cheaper prices and the more expensive ones are just due to corporate branding.

3rd - Exhaust - I had a 2016 GT that the previous owner installed the American Racing Pure Thunder Cat Back with straight pipes. This was too loud for what I want as a daily driver. I love the sound of my son's 2014 GT with only GT500 axle backs. How extensive of an exhaust do I need with a 2017 to get a nice deep sound that isn't annoying? My son keeps saying get the Corsa Extremes, but I think that is louder than I want. How do I know if axle backs will be sufficient, versus an entire cat back? I see Roush axle backs and I see Corsa Sport axle backs, but then I also see full cat backs. What do I gain on an S550 with a full cat back? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks

4th - Wheels - I have a California Special with the 5 spoke specific wheels. I've not been a fan of the S550 wheel options, because most of them are black. Black wheels have never appealed to me unless they have some accent with them, like the Buick GNX (showing my age here). I do have a set of the 2017 Performance Pack wheels that I got for my son's 2014 GT. He says I should put them on my car, but I think they'd look better on his Ruby Red car. The bright silver wheels don't seem to fit the new Mustang, and black might be too much for my liking, but... Just looking for opinions here on putting the PP wheels on my car or the '14. I know there are thousands of wheel choices out there, so opinions on which wheel is going to be subjective, so I'll leave that out unless someone has a suggestion that might appeal to my older style!
Sponsored

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I can't give feedback on the first two, but the exhaust is a very subjective choice. I'd recommend checking out this thread and watching clips on Youtube. An axleback could be cheaper and just what you want in terms of sound.

For the wheels, I like the look of the PP ones and if it is only the color you're not a fan of, you can get them powdercoated another color instead or just sell the current ones to help grab an aftermarket set-up that'll probably be lighter and more in line with your tastes.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I bought a Bullydog shift knob. There's a trick to installing them.
Screw them down far enough for the reverse collar to lift enough to get into reverse. Takes some experimentation. Once you have where you want it, count the turns it takes to remove.
Small dab of blue loctite, screw back down same amount of turns and center. Work fast, it sets fast!

Exhaust is a very subjective subject. I wanted deep low growl but not the ear splitting screaming at higher RPM. I went with the Magnaflow Street. I do get some drone if under heavy load in 6th gear around 60MPH or slower.
If I had to do it over again I'd look closer at the Corsa Street. I might look into some J tubes for mine.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
3rd - Exhaust - I had a 2016 GT that the previous owner installed the American Racing Pure Thunder Cat Back with straight pipes. This was too loud for what I want as a daily driver. I love the sound of my son's 2014 GT with only GT500 axle backs. How extensive of an exhaust do I need with a 2017 to get a nice deep sound that isn't annoying? My son keeps saying get the Corsa Extremes, but I think that is louder than I want. How do I know if axle backs will be sufficient, versus an entire cat back? I see Roush axle backs and I see Corsa Sport axle backs, but then I also see full cat backs. What do I gain on an S550 with a full cat back? I'm open to suggestions. Thanks
Exhaust was number one on my list. It totally changed the driving experience. The added exhaust notes are absolutely superb. I'm partial to the Corsa, and IMHO is the best sounding exhaust for the coyote. The sport catback is great for my daily driver. Not too loud...not too quiet (unless I want it to be). You control the volume with the throttle.

As for catback vs axleback, a catback is easier to install...as it is a direct bolt on. If you don't like the catback, you can remove it and revert back to stock....or sell it and go to a different catback. Axlebacks require you to cut...and as such, changing out can be much more difficult (and there is no going back to stock).

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Redline tuning hood struts. Accept no other.

Shifter: decide on what style you want and you can choose from $20 to up to $200.

Exhaust: how loud do you want it, YouTube is your friend.

Wheels: Contact Paul at PK designs. He will hook you up with whatever size and style you want.

Sponsored

catchthecarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 White Platinum Premium GT
Shift knob - I went with a Modern Billet Retro, plain ol' white ball with a shift pattern. It didn't cost much, looks good and it's made from resin so it doesn't turn into a branding iron after my car has been baking in the sun all day. One minor beef, it's light, not much heft compared to the stock knob.

Exhaust - I wanted a mild system and for me it came down to 2 contenders, Corsa Sport or AWE touring. Never heard either system with my own 2 ears so I went with my gut and chose the Corsa Sport cat-back. That was about 2 months ago, love it. Went with a cat-back for all the reasons millhouse wrote above. Good luck with your quest.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
1 and 2 are easy. Usually a beer or two and some online shopping and your set.

for 3, I would recommend going to a cars n coffee or other type of car show and start listening and asking questions. The reason I say that is youtube can be very misleading and the type of gear used to capture that sound varies greatly. I would go cat back that that's just my .02.

4. Good luck, that took me months of forum reading, calling, going to shows etc. Paul is a great resource as others have stated.

welcome, and again, good luck :thumbsup:

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium / Rapid Red 10 Speed Auto
I bought a Bullydog shift knob. There's a trick to installing them.
Screw them down far enough for the reverse collar to lift enough to get into reverse. Takes some experimentation. Once you have where you want it, count the turns it takes to remove.
Small dab of blue loctite, screw back down same amount of turns and center. Work fast, it sets fast!

Great advice on the ball install (Common Sense) Too many people crank it down trying to get it centered just right they go too far and the ball cracks because the threaded stud bottoms out and has no where to go but through the top of the ball. I also agree with the choice of Red Line Hood Struts. They are simple and clean and they work.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
About the '17 wheels on a '14 car, that's not going to work. The studs are a different size.

As far as wheels go on an S550, my Forgestar CF5V's are killer.

Other good options I think:

Forgeline GA1R
GT350 replicas
Project G6 wheels
TSW Interlagos

...or wheels with similar styles.

Sponsored

Osvic@N4SM

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Feel free to check out our line up of custom finishes for wheels brotha! If interested email me at [email protected]

Hey all, I need to get started on some upgrades for the '17 GT. I need some advice on parts as I've always been a stock guy and don't know what works best.

1st - Hood Struts - The hood shakes while cruising down the highway. I've adjusted the bump stops up and lowered the latch, which helped a lot, but I need more. I was reading here that the hood struts will also help. Is there one that's better than another? I've seen some that angle back towards the firewall, and others that angle towards the front of the car. Which design is the better/stronger design?

2nd - Shift Knob - I've heard some say that they purchased a new knob and it split while they were installing it. I see shift balls from less than $20 to around $100. Is there any difference in the name brand quality shifter balls, i.e. Steeda, Roush, Ford Performance, etc? I will probably stay away from the $20 shifter balls, unless someone mentions that there are quality ones at cheaper prices and the more expensive ones are just due to corporate branding.

4th - Wheels - I have a California Special with the 5 spoke specific wheels. I've not been a fan of the S550 wheel options, because most of them are black. Black wheels have never appealed to me unless they have some accent with them, like the Buick GNX (showing my age here). I do have a set of the 2017 Performance Pack wheels that I got for my son's 2014 GT. He says I should put them on my car, but I think they'd look better on his Ruby Red car. The bright silver wheels don't seem to fit the new Mustang, and black might be too much for my liking, but... Just looking for opinions here on putting the PP wheels on my car or the '14. I know there are thousands of wheel choices out there, so opinions on which wheel is going to be subjective, so I'll leave that out unless someone has a suggestion that might appeal to my older style!
37058086372_c6f711e9a5_b.jpg
project-6grwheels-five-gloss-blacl-02.jpg
project-6gr-candle-apple-red-race-04.jpg
8-7.jpg

Rdot9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT Premium w/ Performance Package

1. - Hoodstruts
This is on my list as well and I've read a lot of shaky reviews for a lot of different products but the one that seems to have the least amount of issues was Redline. If I were you I'd look there first, do some searching online for recent reviews and see if you find anything glaring that stands out.

2. - Shift Knob
I've heard great things about Raceseng. Seems to be a bit on the higher side as far as $$$ goes but everyone is very happy with quality.

3. - Exhaust
Sounds like we may have different opinions on what is acceptable for a DD since I just bought the AWE Track system for mine. :D
But I was researching our cars with the GT500 axleback/mid pipe and from what I've heard and been told it may suit your needs. Just a bit louder than stock but adds a nice deep rumble. You won't see too much as far as gains in catback vs axleback so for you it would mostly be sound preference.

4. - Wheels
As you mentioned, that's all up to you. with so many options it's hard to suggest one. Just keep shopping until you find something you love. :thumbsup:

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

1. - Hoodstruts
This is on my list as well and I've read a lot of shaky reviews for a lot of different products but the one that seems to have the least amount of issues was Redline. If I were you I'd look there first, do some searching online for recent reviews and see if you find anything glaring that stands out.

2. - Shift Knob
I've heard great things about Raceseng. Seems to be a bit on the higher side as far as $$$ goes but everyone is very happy with quality.

3. - Exhaust
Sounds like we may have different opinions on what is acceptable for a DD since I just bought the AWE Track system for mine. :D
But I was researching our cars with the GT500 axleback/mid pipe and from what I've heard and been told it may suit your needs. Just a bit louder than stock but adds a nice deep rumble. You won't see too much as far as gains in catback vs axleback so for you it would mostly be sound preference.

4. - Wheels
As you mentioned, that's all up to you. with so many options it's hard to suggest one. Just keep shopping until you find something you love. :thumbsup:
I believe most of the bad reviews stem from the original batch of hood struts that each company made. Everybody has made some changes to their design or materials and pretty much all 4 companies make good hood struts. (Ford Racing, Redline, MMD, and Steeda. Look at reviews on American Muscle, CJ Pony, etc. They are almost all positive.

*Side note* Hood struts doesn't cure the lifting of the hood problem. I have hood struts and it still lifts a bit. Try adjusting your latch. That would make the biggest difference.
Sponsored