Sponsored

New Nitto drag radial released NT555R2

kcobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500, Base w/tech, black roof, vinyl stripes
14 GT500 KB3.2 with JDM SS cams. Nitto G2 fronts and 555RII's in the back. Love them! Great drag radial and street tire period! Nitto will outlast any other DR period! I have run them all. Some may hook at the track a little better but will melt in no time and suck in the rain. To each his own. Nitto for life here. 555's were good, 555RII even better.
Sponsored

cahouston

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen a lot of reviews for boosted cars hooking in 2nd gear and such but have not seen anyone specifically comment on traction from a dig on the street for an N/A car with these tires. Can anyone with an NA setup comment on traction in 1st two gears on the street?

EgoBoost

9/11 Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Black PP GT 6 SPEED
Purchased 305/35R19 & 19x11 SVE R350’s for occasional street fun. My setup & feedback: A10/3.15 gear, BMR CB005 & Steeda Progressives, Whipple 3.625/e85 780-800 wheel HP, 90+ degrees:
Hooks @ 3K in 3rd 19psi to 26psi hot no heat cycle or burnout Sport+ mode
Will not hook 2nd 26 psi, 22 psi or 19psi.
Drove in light rain twice, no issues.

I’ve decide to run these full time over my 19x10 MP4S setup. I’m glad I kept the set of 305/45-17 MT r’s. I will buy a rear set of wheels for those and use them as I initially intended to use the 555R2’s. Overall I am happy with these even though they did not hook in second as my 285/35-19 MT Street SS did.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I ordered a pair of these in 305/35/19. Hope they stop the spinning.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
The Nitto NT555Rii is an excellent street tire....very quiet, nice riding and they offer great street traction. However, in the 305/35R19 size, they are not ideal for drag racing. I have been to the strip a couple of times with mine and haven't been very pleased with the result. It is baffling to me how they seem to hook so well on the street but not so much on a prepped surface at the strip. It should be the other way around.

I do not want to discourage anyone from buying these tires. I really like them for street use. However, if drag racing is the goal and you are willing to give up good street use, a higher profile Mickey Thompson is superior for ultimate traction.

I will be reaching out to Nitto to get their recommendation for air pressure and how much burn-out for strip use. Maybe there is a secret formula that I haven't found.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
The Nitto NT555Rii is an excellent street tire....very quiet, nice riding and they offer great street traction. However, in the 305/35R19 size, they are not ideal for drag racing. I have been to the strip a couple of times with mine and haven't been very pleased with the result. It is baffling to me how they seem to hook so well on the street but not so much on a prepped surface at the strip. It should be the other way around.

I do not want to discourage anyone from buying these tires. I really like them for street use. However, if drag racing is the goal and you are willing to give up good street use, a higher profile Mickey Thompson is superior for ultimate traction.

I will be reaching out to Nitto to get their recommendation for air pressure and how much burn-out for strip use. Maybe there is a secret formula that I haven't found.
I need these more for street than strip. What pressure are you using? And suspension work on your car?

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Maybe it's your track? You didn't get the P zeros to work there either.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
I have heard nittos only work at the strip with a certain prep chemical. Can't remember the name. Only one track in Texas uses it. It was a big thing with the Demon guys.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
I was running 21 PSI at the strip. I was getting bad spinning and wheel hopping.

On a clean street surface, running street pressure of around 30 PSI, I can floor it from an idle and it spins just a tiny bit (just a chirp) and hooks great. Same technique at the track with lower pressure and it hops like a rabbit. Forget about a 1500 rpm brake-torque launch....super wheel hop. Maybe I need to leave the pressure higher but that is contrary to logic. I was doing a burn out until I saw decent smoke but didn't really roast them. It is super weird to me that they seem to hook better on the street than on a prepped track....makes no sense.

I have the BMR CB005 lockout kit. I was using Mickey Thompson tires at the strip last year and they hooked perfectly and never hopped. They were absolutely horrible on the street so I changed them at the track. I was hoping I could drive the Nittos on the street AND use them at the track but I haven't found that to be very successful yet.

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it's your track? You didn't get the P zeros to work there either.
True, but Brainerd usually does a good job with prep. YOU are the ONLY human being in the world who could make p-zeros work! When I was running Mickey Thompson tires, I hooked great at Brainerd.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
I was running 21 PSI at the strip. I was getting bad spinning and wheel hopping.

On a clean street surface, running street pressure of around 30 PSI, I can floor it from an idle and it spins just a tiny bit (just a chirp) and hooks great. Same technique at the track with lower pressure and it hops like a rabbit. Forget about a 1500 rpm brake-torque launch....super wheel hop. Maybe I need to leave the pressure higher but that is contrary to logic. I was doing a burn out until I saw decent smoke but didn't really roast them. It is super weird to me that they seem to hook better on the street than on a prepped track....makes no sense.

I have the BMR CB005 lockout kit. I was using Mickey Thompson tires at the strip last year and they hooked perfectly and never hopped. They were absolutely horrible on the street so I changed them at the track. I was hoping I could drive the Nittos on the street AND use them at the track but I haven't found that to be very successful yet.
One guy said they worked good at 25 PSI. I'll check them out at Byron in a few weeks.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
True, but Brainerd usually does a good job with prep. YOU are the ONLY human being in the world who could make p-zeros work! When I was running Mickey Thompson tires, I hooked great at Brainerd.
LOL. Hopefully I can get these to work too. I have a guy who wants to put money on a Jaguar race.
Sponsored