Sponsored

New Mustang GT PP1 or New BMW M4 with Competition Package?

Mustang GT PP1 or BMW M4

• GT

Votes: 81 56.3%
  • M4

Votes: 63 43.8%

• Total voters

Crowd Hunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
$hitbox
You're omitting to mention that your MHD stage 2+ 135i absolutely falls flat on its face by 5000rpm. Like hitting a wall. Been there done that. Fun car in the city though, will surprise many at the stop light!
Well, I rarely shift above 5000 rpm since it makes peak torque (450 lb-ft) at about 3800 rpm and drops off quickly after about 4500 rpm. It's my daily driver, so I only drive it around town. With no cats and the Agency Power exhaust, it can be a bit noisy.
Sponsored

wtb6mtv8rwd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
SOLD
A linear naturally aspirated motor used to be BMW's thing. Relatively low torque but it revved. I'm amused that I come to Ford to find that now and you have a BMW for the opposite.

fatbillybob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT pp1 A10 Orange
I'm a lifetime BMW guy, love them to death, but have 0 interest in anything past the E8x E9x generation. The F8x is in a different league than the Mustang. It's faster, sharper, better built and way more expensive. Problem it's just not that enjoyable or rewarding to drive.

Personally I derive a lot of driving enjoyment from things like feel and sound and the F8x has neither. It actually sounds awful. Whoever said it's like driving a fast Camry nailed it :crackup:
100% agree! BMW's used to be such great cars. The peak of BMW prowess was the E46M3. Things went downhill with the E9x but it was still a good car but where I drew the line on BMW's. Then my wife got the X3...and that was the final straw. I'm not sure they could get me back with a free car. ...And the insanity of piped in engine noise on your speakers? You have to be kidding me!

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
For the price of the M4 my advice is to ask the oil baron to buy you a GT350.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
Is a Back Draft Racing Cobra on the list, those can be had for about 75K? Or is that too easy of a winner :)

Sponsored

Family Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Auto w/Whipple
We’ve got both cars in the family and they’re completely different animals. The M4 Comp is more of a hooligan, it’s rough and brash to drive, and believe it or not there are 167 different combinations of gearbox setting, suspension setting, etc and not one of them is comfortable. Handling is razor sharp, but gearbox is rough. Feels like a very old tech paddle shift, where there is no doubt whatsoever that a gear change has taken place! On a track, in the wet, use the least savage setting or it just unsettles itself. By contrast the Mustang is almost grand tourer in comparison, capable of taking you 400 miles in comparative comfort and not leaving you ruined. Short blast, high adrenalin take the M4, for everything else take the Mustang.

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I'm a lifetime BMW guy, love them to death, but have 0 interest in anything past the E8x E9x generation. The F8x is in a different league than the Mustang. It's faster, sharper, better built and way more expensive. Problem it's just not that enjoyable or rewarding to drive.

Personally I derive a lot of driving enjoyment from things like feel and sound and the F8x has neither. It actually sounds awful. Whoever said it's like driving a fast Camry nailed it :crackup:

This is pretty much how I feel, I can nit pick a few models but for the most part my interest stops after the Bangle era starts. I've driven a M4 vert 6spd, they are certainly fast but the exhaust sounds like a tractor. You also see F80's EVERYWHERE at BMW meets, it almost makes sense to compare S550's and F80 M3/M4's because a lot of them in both camps have "bro" mods and look vulgar.

I'll just sit back with my E39 M5 and watch the values continue to rise.

To answer the thread question, I'd rather spec out a new mustang at this point

mustang123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
The A10 shifts gears under heavy throttle in a tenth of a second. That is about as fast as a DCT. The delay when hitting the paddle is simply paddle response, and isn't what people refer to when they are discussing how fast a transmission can change gears.

That said, I also have an A10 GT and the delay when using the paddles under light acceleration is very annoying. I hate it in 1st gear. It sounds like I'm trying to race even under very light throttle since the car still revs to 3000+ rpm because it takes so long to register the shift after pressing the paddle at ~2k rpm. With the low gearing the car gains a lot of rpms even under light throttle. Oh, you want to shift from 1st to 2nd at 1600 rpm under light throttle so you don't sound like you're trying to race the Toyota crossover next to you while pulling away from the light? Sorry, the computer won't let you. Oh, now you're turning right after a stop sign and want to press the paddle? Sorry, it's not where it is supposed to be, so you wait until it's back where you can press it with your right hand, but the car is now at 3500 rpm (under very light throttle) and by the time it changes it will be at 4500 rpm due to the long delay; all just to get out of 1st gear after a turn.

I've figured out work-arounds (i.e., take my foot off the gas pedal under light acceleration when I press the paddle to shift into 2nd gear to prevent the rpms from continuing to build), but they aren't smooth.

However, I live with those annoyances because under medium to heavy throttle, the paddle delay is pretty short in any gear, and it shifts very quickly. And, the gear ratios are perfectly chosen and suit the powerband of this car very well.
Man I know what you are talking about! Shifting 1-2 manually is so slow and so annoying. When I floor the car the transmission shifts lightening quick! Why like this... Why can't they make it shift fast all the time, regardless of how much throttle I give the car?
Basically I let it shift automatically if I'm driving slow, if I'm carving canyons or driving it hard, I like to shift manually.

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Man I know what you are talking about! Shifting 1-2 manually is so slow and so annoying. When I floor the car the transmission shifts lightening quick! Why like this... Why can't they make it shift fast all the time, regardless of how much throttle I give the car?
Basically I let it shift automatically if I'm driving slow, if I'm carving canyons or driving it hard, I like to shift manually.
I can understand the slower shifts under light throttle. They are smoother. What I don't like is the delay after pressing the paddle under light throttle - but the Mustang is not the only car this is an issue in. Many autos have this issue, from what I've seen/heard. I guess like someone above said, I must be doing it wrong (or rather, why use the paddles if you're babying it around?).

At least the paddles react fairly quickly under heavy throttle in my car. The Camaro SS and Z06, among others, have a long delay even under heavy throttle.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
For the price of the M4 my advice is to ask the oil baron to buy you a GT350.
I was thinking the same thing. You'd have to be a fool to take a GT over an M with the 30g price difference.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I was thinking the same thing. You'd have to be a fool to take a GT over an M with the 30g price difference.
I guess if you are selling either right away and don't care about paying gift taxes. I frankly don't want an M4 and I would not want to pay 20-40% taxes on whatever value I received if it was an M4. Am I injecting too much realism into this conversation mentioning taxes? :D

Assuming you are being gifted extra money to pay the gift tax, then I agree with you. But I would still want to sell the BMW right away and buy a GT350.

S550_Newbie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1
I guess if you are selling either right away and don't care about paying gift taxes. I frankly don't want an M4 and I would not want to pay 20-40% taxes on whatever value I received if it was an M4. Am I injecting too much realism into this conversation mentioning taxes? :D

Assuming you are being gifted extra money to pay the gift tax, then I agree with you. But I would still want to sell the BMW right away and buy a GT350.
You have to own for 5 years. Those are the rules..lol

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
You're omitting to mention that your MHD stage 2+ 135i absolutely falls flat on its face by 5000rpm. Like hitting a wall. Been there done that. Fun car in the city though, will surprise many at the stop light!
Mine peaked at right before 5,000rpm and it doesn't fall on it's face. Top end is pretty decent on the n54s. However, you do want to shift it before redline (around 6k) to keep it in it's powerband. Both HP and TQ start to drop off before redline.

...And the insanity of piped in engine noise on your speakers? You have to be kidding me!
Are you talking about the Mustang or the BMW? I know Mustangs have the sound tube and something with the speakers to enhance engine sound. Maybe the BMWs have it also? I don't really know much of the details on BMW models beyond the e90.

For others that questioned BMW reliability....
I bought my 335xi with 50k miles on it. I have 120k on it and have been running it tuned since I had it. As far as reliability, The major things I had was injectors (expensive for BMWs) and water pump (more than once on the water pump). I also had a few other minor things like valve cover gasket, coils, etc. I think that's not too bad for 70,000 miles pushing more than double the stock boost with 500 HP (basic FBO car). The N54 is a pretty bullet proof engine.

My X5 msport with the N63 twin turbo V8 is a different story.

Last edited:

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
...And the insanity of piped in engine noise on your speakers? You have to be kidding me!
In case you didn't know, the GT350 has engine noise piped in through the speakers and the GTs have the dreaded "sound tube" coming from the intake into the cabin. Modern cars are so well insulated that companies need to do this in order to get engine sound into the cabin.
Sponsored