New Member of the iPhone Nation needs CarPlay advice

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
UPDATE: Let me preface this by saying I know there is no wireless CarPlay and Android Auto in the Mustang. I'm looking for adapters :)

After years of being an Android guy, I'm jumping the fence to the iPhone. With the release of the iPhone 14 and my corporate EPP, I couldn't pass up swapping my Pixel 5.

Now, with that said; what are my options to have Wireless CarPlay? Had I kept my Android I would have gone with the Motorola MA1 but what are Apple folks using? Looking to run Waze and Plex!

* For those that don't know; Plex is like a private/self-run Netflix + Spotify rolled into one.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
Wireless CarPlay is not available in the Mustangs. However, there are several adapters that allow you do to do this. There is usually a bit of latency that comes with the adapters though. I am not able to add Plex to my CarPlay screen. Waze is fine :)

Reactions: MCS
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Sync3 does not have wireless CarPlay.
Wireless CarPlay is not available in the Mustangs. However, there are several adapters that allow you do to do this. There is usually a bit of latency that comes with the adapters though.
I know fellas. I'm looking at the Adapters.

I am not able to add Plex to my CarPlay screen. Waze is fine :)
You can't add Plex??!?!?! That is almost a dealbreaker for me on the iPhone cause Plex is where ALL my music is at. I rarely listen to the radio anymore.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium

Sponsored

Highvolts

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT, 1965 Mustang 289
You can't add Plex??!?!?! That is almost a dealbreaker for me on the iPhone cause Plex is where ALL my music is at. I rarely listen to the radio anymore.
I have plex and cannot add it to my CarPlay screen. Perhaps a paid version of Plex will open up the CarPlay compatibility.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
This wireless adaptor works well for me :

WD :like:

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
Yes, to answer your question this is what a number of members have and most agree it’s pretty good.
I just ordered the 4.0 version of it.

1662734699337.png

I have plex and cannot add it to my CarPlay screen. Perhaps a paid version of Plex will open up the CarPlay compatibility.
I have a lifetime Plex Pass as I run a Plex Server for myself and my family. We will see. If not then PlexAmp will work. I've been doing some reading on it and folks say that opens with no problem and will play the music off of your Plex Media Server..

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
I have had the CPLAY2air for a while now and very happy with it. The adapter is plugged into the center console USB and I have a command strip holding it in place. By the time I back out of the garage and shift to drive, it is booted up, so for me the boot time is fine. On long trips you will drain the power from the iPhone. I got a plug to put into the 12v power adapter below the switches that has USB plugs at the end. I connect the iPhone to that for charging and so it will continue to use wireless CarPlay.

Sponsored

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I got a plug to put into the 12v power adapter below the switches that has USB plugs at the end. I connect the iPhone to that for charging and so it will continue to use wireless CarPlay.
kinda defeats the purpose since plugging it in gives you CarPlay Lol

15BluStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pat
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
kinda defeats the purpose since plugging it in gives you CarPlay Lol
Not really. For everyday use, no need to plug in. I just get start the car and go. But for long (all day) trips, when the battery is low, I can plug it in and charge it.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Not really. For everyday use, no need to plug in. I just get start the car and go. But for long (all day) trips, when the battery is low, I can plug it in and charge it.
I guess, but I have my plug sitting right in the cup holder and it takes less time to plug it in than it does to boot up through wireless. It just seems redundant to me.

OP
OP
MCS

MCS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Premium
PlexAmp worked for me. I got my Wireless Carplay adapter and PlexAmp was on the dashboard already and works flawlessly other than the 0.5 second delay when moving about the interface. But having Wireless Carplay is amazing!

1664576385515.png

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Cool song, you get blasted with it on rock n roller coaster !

WD :like:
Sponsored

• Haha
Reactions: MCS