Sponsored

New Member/ New Problem

GrapeApe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Expedition EL, 2002 Camaro Z/28 331 with Twins, 1969 Camaro Z/28, 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner 440 6pack
Hey guys, proud owner of a Whpplecharged 2017 GT350 here. Long story short. Bought gen3 kit, had kit installed at a reputable shop, used Whipples Flash Tune. The Car made 834rwhp with the blower and longtubes and is AWESOME! But within a few miles of driving a message appeared that said "Drive Mode Selection Not Available" "Active Exhaust Selection Not Available" and in the Gauge display the Differential temp is now frozen at -9degrees.

The shop said they don't understand what would cause that issue but to talk to whipple since its their tune, Not a problem but whipple is being kind of slow to respond which I understand.

Has anybody had issues with the cars selection mode acting up after a re-flash? What steps did you take to get it back in-line? To me it seems like its forgot that it is equipped with the track pack options.
Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Hey guys, proud owner of a Whpplecharged 2017 GT350 here. Long story short. Bought gen3 kit, had kit installed at a reputable shop, used Whipples Flash Tune. The Car made 834rwhp with the blower and longtubes and is AWESOME! But within a few miles of driving a message appeared that said "Drive Mode Selection Not Available" "Active Exhaust Selection Not Available" and in the Gauge display the Differential temp is now frozen at -9degrees.

The shop said they don't understand what would cause that issue but to talk to whipple since its their tune, Not a problem but whipple is being kind of slow to respond which I understand.

Has anybody had issues with the cars selection mode acting up after a re-flash? What steps did you take to get it back in-line? To me it seems like its forgot that it is equipped with the track pack options.

I wasn't aware that they offered a canned tune for a 350 and their kit. Regardless, I would take it to a reputable tuner, remove the whipple tune and have them do a custom one for you.

OP
OP
GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Expedition EL, 2002 Camaro Z/28 331 with Twins, 1969 Camaro Z/28, 1969 Plymouth RoadRunner 440 6pack
I wasn't aware that they offered a canned tune for a 350 and their kit. Regardless, I would take it to a reputable tuner, remove the whipple tune and have them do a custom one for you.
I would do that if this was a driveabilty issue or if the car made less than stellar power, but I believe the power and performance calibration is correct for the current mods. Not sure a custom tune would net any more power or change anything safely. Now if I swapped pulleys/ injectors/ e85 etc... Then yes Im all for it. But this seems like a BCM issue or something else so I was just wondering if there was a alternative approach or a direction Im missing.

Last edited:

Arpa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic Black Stripes
Did you change the cut back system too? I read in a FordNXT article regarding the Kooks full system installation and messing with the active exhaust actuator system. Here is the article, and the part that referenced the issue:

From the FordNXT article, link:
http://www.fordnxt.com/project-cars...ompletes-the-power-package-on-our-15-mustang/

"One area which required special attention is the active exhaust actuator system as developed by Ford.

Put simply, this system from Kooks doesn’t have it — but the car thinks it does.
“If you disconnect the valves for the actuators, you will not be able to control your driving modes,” says Clark. “The system requires a complete closed loop – what happens is that the car needs to see one rotation of the mechanism in each direction, or it won’t give you access to the driving modes. We made a custom bracket on top of the mufflers that acts as the valve, and allows the system to see that full rotation in order to allow mode control and damper adjustment.”"

Kooks fixed this issue for newer Kooks systems, but it points that messing with the actuator can create issues with the driving modes. I am sure the above applies to other non-Kooks systems.

Hope this helps...

Ninjak

Posting from the Shadows
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 2019 Harley Davidson F150 68 GTA
What was said. I run Kooks LT and mid, but use my OEM mufflers, I know there was a issue with someone who used the whole system and the modes did stop working. Not sure what you have done, but I would start there if you have done that.

Sponsored

OP
OP
GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’m still on the stock mufflers as well, I’ll probably try taking down the mufflers and inspecting the actuators this weekend. Maybe somethings defective

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
^^^ if there is a problem with your actuators, it will definitely cause this problem. I would start there

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
Y I'm thinking the differential could be a wiring issue. On my old Audi when the thermocouple wire broke it went open-loop obviously and read the coldest temperature it was calibrated for

OP
OP
GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Y I'm thinking the differential could be a wiring issue. On my old Audi when the thermocouple wire broke it went open-loop obviously and read the coldest temperature it was calibrated for
Good idea, Ill check that out as well.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

I know this is off topic but I just have to ask - Can you get any traction in first and second gear with a whipple? I am thinking of supercharging my GT350 and I am on the fence between a procharger and a whipple.

Thanks
Jack

Sponsored
OP
OP
GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I know this is off topic but I just have to ask - Can you get any traction in first and second gear with a whipple? I am thinking of supercharging my GT350 and I am on the fence between a procharger and a whipple.

Thanks
Jack
On stock tires without traction control on it will spin through every bit of 1st, 2nd, and most the way through third. when it hits 6-7k rpms in third and hooks it pulls a freight train into 4th then to 140mph in a matter of seconds. Reminds me of riding in the big turbo 1000hp late 90s supras.

With traction control on, whipple has set it up nicely. Almost feels like a progressive nitrous controller. It bogs a little bit then unleashes hell. Doesn't feel like its pulling all the power away. Always feels like your moving forward.

Over all the power delivery is very linear, and to me improved the car in every way. If I were to road course it Id probably change pulleys and try to pull power back to 650ish. Doing that would probably make it a very balanced very capable supercar.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Hey guys, proud owner of a Whpplecharged 2017 GT350 here. Long story short. Bought gen3 kit, had kit installed at a reputable shop, used Whipples Flash Tune. The Car made 834rwhp with the blower and longtubes and is AWESOME! But within a few miles of driving a message appeared that said "Drive Mode Selection Not Available" "Active Exhaust Selection Not Available" and in the Gauge display the Differential temp is now frozen at -9degrees...
I'd be underneath looking for damaged wiring on the diff sensor (and coolant pump). As to the exhaust, you said "long tubes" but you didn't talk about mufflers. If they took the Ford mufflers out, then as others have said, the system will refuse to play because the muffler noise valves aren't there.

To be clear, unless the problem is one damaged wiring harness, you have two separate problems.

OP
OP
GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'd be underneath looking for damaged wiring on the diff sensor (and coolant pump). As to the exhaust, you said "long tubes" but you didn't talk about mufflers. If they took the Ford mufflers out, then as others have said, the system will refuse to play because the muffler noise valves aren't there.

To be clear, unless the problem is one damaged wiring harness, you have two separate problems.
Sorry, stock Mufflers as mentioned in one of my other responses. Ive since pulled down the diffuser and everything is plugged in and doesn't look like its been tampered with as far as the sensor pigtail and pump wiring. I had the wife cycle the power on and off while I watched the muffler valve actuators for movement. I discovered the driver side is stuck frozen, so Im going to drop the muffler on that side and take it apart and inspect the mechanism, maybe see if something foreign (Rock, spring out of place, etc) that may be preventing its movement.

OP
OP
GrapeApe

GrapeApe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)