New LT1 V8 trim for 2020 Camaro

tokuzumi

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
That brings up a good point. Will the a10 be available in the low trim level? If not, it's DOA.
While I'd never even consider a Mustang or Camaro with an automatic, what makes the 10 speed better than the 8 speed?

What I'd love to see is the Camaro get the 7 speed manual from the Corvette.

Advertisement

Timeless

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT / CS
I suspect Ford will react and make this a non issue at some point. If they don't want to bother with a totally new model to compete then they can certainly offer an additional $1500 competitor incentive.

I personally would take this time to advertise a better equipped vehicle at the same price. Put the final nail in the coffin!

Last edited:

ugstang17

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT White Plat Tricoat
The 10R80 can bang through 6-7 (depending on gearing and tuning) of the more closely ratio'd trans keeping the car well inside the power band which generates more efficiency than even that of the 6R80. The down side is that the 10R80 uses smaller clutches and other parts to keep weight and size minimal which in turn limits the amount of power it can handle. Aftermarket parts are getting better to overcome the issues but still have a way to go for the more serious higher powered setups.

Watch a few vidoes of these N/A E-85 setups with 10R80's making a pass. There are a few with the camera in the car so you can see the tach. It barely drops below 6500RPM -- if that low -- at shift point and is shifting as high as 8000+ depending on the tune and what they have done to the car. The car almost sounds like a Constant Velocity trans making a pass.Some of those guys are actually making high 10 second passes on E-85 DR's and a little suspension work.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Ford is impacting its own sales of the 2018+ Mustang with an unreliable engine, retaining the MT82, and continuously jacking up the price... and still not being as fast around a track in stock form as a Camaro SS 1LE in stock form.

GM screwed itself for Camaro sales by basically attempting to sell the cheap models and not advertising the best packages (and letting folks fall in line), which they tend to do because they reserve "GMC and Cadillac" as their "best of the best" marketing arms too their detriment.

EcoVert

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

Ed M

Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT convertible
Ford is impacting its own sales of the 2018+ Mustang with an unreliable engine, retaining the MT82, and continuously jacking up the price... and still not being as fast around a track in stock form as a Camaro SS 1LE in stock form.
You hit the nail on the head! That’s why the Mustang is *checks numbers* #1 in the pony car wars... :facepalm:

HexaNerva

EL 5OH
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I was a camaro fan, until the 6th gen, I never cared for mustangs or thought I would own one. That changed with the S550, I bought a mustang solely on looks and I would gladly pay the extra $1500 for the mustang.

Mikthehun1

Reaction score
First Name
Mik
Vehicle(s)
19 GT a10, 19 Charger Scat Pack
While I'd never even consider a Mustang or Camaro with an automatic, what makes the 10 speed better than the 8 speed?

It has 2 more gears, thus 25% better.

ugstang17

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT White Plat Tricoat
Personally I think the end of Pontiac was the demise of GM. I owned two Grand Ams and a G6. While the first one spent time in the shop (I flogged it like a pinhead) Pontiac Service honored their warranty and TSB's beyond imagine. The next two were much better purchases, but again when a warranty did rear its ugly head, the problem was resolved even if it required a second trip on one or two occasions between the two.

The GTO was a nice vehicle as well. The Firebird or more specifically the T/A? Nothing more needs to be said for it's history. Everyone loved them. The G8 another fun car to hop up.

Just my opinion. Nothing factual to back it. Just yacking since this is clearly an opinionated topic.

ugstang17

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT White Plat Tricoat
While I'd never even consider a Mustang or Camaro with an automatic, what makes the 10 speed better than the 6 speed?

Corrected that for you. 6R80 = 6 speeds while 10R80 = 10 speeds

ugstang17

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT White Plat Tricoat
It has 4 more gears, thus 66.6% better.
6R80 = 6 speed
10R80 = 10 speed

Assuming he is talking 6R80 vs 10R80. Ford has never made an 8 speed auto for the Mustang.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
19 Mustang GT convertible, Orange Fury + Ebony, A10/PP/AE/MS/B&O
I wonder if they'll offer the LT1 trim level in other cars ... I'd love to have a ZL1 1LE LT1 ...

Advertisement

22 - Velgen Wheels - 2

Advertisement